White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
Kaplan brought up something on the radio this afternoon I laughed at, but I'm still thinking about it 2 hours later, which I'm not sure what that means..

Tom Ricketts calls up Reinsdorf and says "Listen, a World Series is vital to us this year, and we think Sale is the final piece. We just signed Theo to an 8 year deal, but we'll trade you the contract of Theo and his staff for Chris Sale."

I honestly didn't know what to think.

Jesus, Tony, stop listening to Kaplan. Cause my head hurts now.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaplan brought up something on the radio this afternoon I laughed at, but I'm still thinking about it 2 hours later, which I'm not sure what that means..

Tom Ricketts calls up Reinsdorf and says "Listen, a World Series is vital to us this year, and we think Sale is the final piece. We just signed Theo to an 8 year deal, but we'll trade you the contract of Theo and his staff for Chris Sale."

If they throw in Maddon, I'd take it.

I have to say, when I heard him say this I said "this f***ing idiot" out loud and turned the station. He is a nice guy from what I heard but he is always trying to come up with illogical hypothetical questions that arent even close to being reality.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
Even if Boston was willing to do Betts straight up for Sale (and I don't think they would), it still doesn't make sense for this team. All you're doing is filling one hole and creating another, and it's not like there's a bunch of SP prospects banging on the door in our farm. It's completely pointless. If Sale is traded you need to fill multiple holes, not just one.

I don't disagree, but then you're basically betting that the multiple unknown quantities you're getting will turn out better, in total, than the known quantity.

Obviously a risk game. And you'd be trusting that to this organization. Just saying.

It means he ran out of things to talk about, so he just started making s*** up.

This is unfathomably stupid and you should feel bad for even giving it a second of thought.

No clue whether Texas could handle it financially or not, but would a Sale and Melky package make sense for both sides? The Sox obviously covet Mazara, but Texas doesn't want to part with a vital bat in their lineup. Insert Melky....

Sale, Melky, +a few mil if necessary

For

Nomar Mazara, Jurickson Profar, Joey Gallo, Dillon Tate, Yohander Mendez, Michael Matuella

Ehh?

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)
This is unfathomably stupid and you should feel bad for even giving it a second of thought.

To be fair, it's a hysterical scenario.

"WHAT IF WE TRADED WRIGLEY FOR SALE AND COMISKEY?"

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
To be fair, it's a hysterical scenario.

"WHAT IF WE TRADED WRIGLEY FOR SALE AND COMISKEY?"

They can have Wrigley but can we get Wrigleyville instead?

People are about to yell at me.

Kap is literally the walking definition of verbal diarrhea.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
Excuse my ignorance but what is the significance of this?

He hasnt played there since 2013 I believe and ofcourse scouts are there

Edited by Baron

For me, if the Rangers really want Sale, negotiations begin with Mazara and Gallo or the Rangers can continue their search and Sale continues to pitch on the south side. If the Sox really want to try and clean out the Rangers farm they could offer Abreu as part of the package since they need a 1B/DH anyway. Maybe offering Abreu makes it easier for the Rangers to part with more prospects.

If Texas wants Sale, then we need a package built around Mazara, Gallo, & Brinson. That may not be as sexy as a potential Red Sox trade with Moncada and/or Benintendi, but it's still a ton of positional talent to build around going forward. We'd probably have to include Melky and I'd fully expect some lesser prospects included as well, but I think there's a framework that works for both teams. Plus it allows them to keep Profar, who fills their short-term better than our long-term ones.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:00 PM)
If Texas wants Sale, then we need a package built around Mazara, Gallo, & Brinson. That may not be as sexy as a potential Red Sox trade with Moncada and/or Benintendi, but it's still a ton of positional talent to build around going forward. We'd probably have to include Melky and I'd fully expect some lesser prospects included as well, but I think there's a framework that works for both teams. Plus it allows them to keep Profar, who fills their short-term better than our long-term ones.

Sale has to bring back at least 1 ML high quality player plus prospects. A package of just prospects, regardless of ranking is a bad deal. For example, as "sexy "as the Red Sox trade is, both young studs are presently learning new positions in AA. Which is probably why if Sale is to be moved, it should happen in the offseason so teams like Texas or Boston will be more likely to part w a ML starter.

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
Sale has to bring back at least 1 ML high quality player plus prospects. A package of just prospects, regardless of ranking is a bad deal. For example, as "sexy "as the Red Sox trade is, both young studs are presently learning new positions in AA. Which is probably why if Sale is to be moved, it should happen in the offseason so teams like Texas or Boston will be more likely to part w a ML starter.

Worth mentioning Benintendi is learning a new position out of need at the MLB level.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
Here's Cameron's take

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/finding-a-f...for-chris-sale/

I don't understand the Profar deal; only 3 years of control and, frankly, "where's the beef?"

Ok, so I am reading this article, and I understand the valuations of surplus value, but what stops me dead in my tracks are quotes like this:

Julio Urias is certainly a strong starting point. Pitchers ranked in the top 10 on prospect lists are worth something like $70 million, and given that Urias is closer to #1 than #10 and has already pitched well in the big leagues, he’s probably worth a bit more than that. I’d eyeball his value at around $80 million, meaning he gets you most of the way to Sale by himself.

I don't know about you guys, but I need to see a bit more than I've seen out of Urias before I go and ascribe him $80 million in value over the next 6 years. Shouldn't there be some additional uncertainty factored into that valuation? Is the 40 innings he's pitched in the MLB REALLY enough to suddenly attribute THAT kind of value to his contract already? Personally, I think you've got to prove a little bit more before we start claiming "he gets you most of the way to Sale himself."

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
Also of note: scouts from White Sox, Rays, Yankees, all potential trade partners for pitching are here. .. https://t.co/kgyrK3kz2r

https://twitter.com/Evan_P_Grant/status/759180795663699969

Rangers

Hope we're hitting their AAA, AA and A parks as well as those players will be a big part of the trade after the top 2 guys.

Edited by GreenSox