White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
Not only that, but the way Sale's and Quintana's last few starts have gone are huge reminders of why we just cannot capitalize on this current roster construction. They practically have to be perfect to win.

I will be disappointed if we don't take advantage of this opportunity.

100% agree. I think Hahn has come to accept this reality. The question is whether or not Reinsdorf will allow the front office to do the right thing and take advantage of this crazy seller's market.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any smoke out of Boston about why Moncada was pulled?

http://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-so...e-james-shields

Analysis/opinion from Boston Globe writer about why going after James Shields makes a lot more sense....with return of Henry Owens offered, rather than Moncada/Benitendi/Devers/Kopech and one of the killer B's (Bogaerts/Betts/Bradley, Jr.)

Edited by caulfield12

I don't think Sale is going to get dealt but a piece of me thinks Boston caves on Monday towards the deadline more. But I see it being a Sale plus Robertson/Duke/Shields/Cabrera type of deal for the package we want (plus maybe a couple more highly regarded A-ballers and Swihart and/or Owens). It would help the Red Sox justify giving up a lot of prospects if they're able to fill another hole as well. I know left field has been a revolving door for them all season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
Peter Gammons‏ @pgammo

Following Scott Lauber's story, word around Chisox Friday was that they had scouts at every Red Sox farm games last night

I think Boston will budge. Either for Sale or Q. It's been way too quiet between those two and makes sense that Texas stuff came out yesterday and included names. I think Texas may be used as leverage. I do think those two land our SPs. Sale to Texas, Q to Boston. Just gut feeling I've had

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
I think Boston will budge. Either for Sale or Q. It's been way too quiet between those two and makes sense that Texas stuff came out yesterday and included names. I think Texas may be used as leverage. I do think those two land our SPs. Sale to Texas, Q to Boston. Just gut feeling I've had

If they deal both (really big if), I'm hoping one to Boston in a deal mostly centered for bats and then the other moved to the Dodgers in a deal centered around arms.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
If they deal both (really big if), I'm hoping one to Boston in a deal mostly centered for bats and then the other moved to the Dodgers in a deal centered around arms.

I think it's Boston and Texas because they have the position prospects.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)

So imagine for a minute you are a GM and Rick is saying both Sale and Q are available for the right package.

You are the GM that ends up getting Q and moving your best prospect, while some other GM is going to land Sale.

Sort of makes you want to chip in more to land Sale, doesn't it?

That will make for a very interesting dynamic....

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)

I would rather get position prospects for each. The one thing this organization does well is draft arms.

Draft the arms. Get other teams' positional talent.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
I don't think Sale is going to get dealt but a piece of me thinks Boston caves on Monday towards the deadline more. But I see it being a Sale plus Robertson/Duke/Shields/Cabrera type of deal for the package we want (plus maybe a couple more highly regarded A-ballers and Swihart and/or Owens). It would help the Red Sox justify giving up a lot of prospects if they're able to fill another hole as well. I know left field has been a revolving door for them all season.

I think Sale will not be moved. Doubt Red Sox will want Robertson or Cabrera. Would want Shields and Duke. Hopefully Hahn doesn't want Owens or Swihart as both have seen their value decline this season. Lots of rumors in Northeast but Boston sports radio this morning seems to indicate Shields or Hellickson are their targets. Maybe Dombrowski has his poker face going.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
I would rather get position prospects for each. The one thing this organization does well is draft arms.

Well both deals would bring bats it's just that the Dodgers deal would include Urias and another top arms along with a couple bats.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)

Not only that, but ones that are near major league ready. The less we develop these guys the better.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
I think Sale will not be moved. Doubt Red Sox will want Robertson or Cabrera. Would want Shields and Duke. Hopefully Hahn doesn't want Owens or Swihart as both have seen their value decline this season. Lots of rumors in Northeast but Boston sports radio this morning seems to indicate Shields or Hellickson are their targets. Maybe Dombrowski has his poker face going.

Yeah a lot of lesser options than giving up a ton for Sale and Quintana.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
So imagine for a minute you are a GM and Rick is saying both Sale and Q are available for the right package.

You are the GM that ends up getting Q and moving your best prospect, while some other GM is going to land Sale.

Sort of makes you want to chip in more to land Sale, doesn't it?

That will make for a very interesting dynamic....

Especially a GM who is competing against that other GM.

That's why I think Texas moves Mazara for Sale in a blockbuster deal.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
Not only that, but ones that are near major league ready. The less we develop these guys the better.

This is both true and devastating. The waters are just so muddied in the minors.

With 50 hours to go until the trade deadline here is what we're monitoring: Red Sox- White Sox on Chris Sale... https://t.co/JnRwjGRFvz

https://twitter.com/JimBowden_ESPN/status/759417829196111872

With 50 hours to go until the trade deadline here is what we're monitoring: Red Sox- White Sox on Chris Sale talks; Nationals -Pirates on Melancon talks; Dodgers-Giants chase of Bruce/Reddick/relievers;Cubs pursuit of Rays starter; Mariners pursuit of Cozart; Indians/Mets pursuit of Lucroy; Rangers big move; Astros surprise move; Tigers standing pat; with the headliner of this trade deadline still looking like it's going to be a Chicago White Sox Fire Sale.....as in Chris.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
Genuinely curious what you guys think is the likelihood of this happening. I'm somewhere around 10% right now.

Chance of Sale getting moved? I'd say 50/50. Pretty much every AL contender outside of the Indians could use him. Out of those teams, the Red Sox, Rangers, & Astros have what it takes to pull off a deal. Adding Sale would not only improve their chances of making the playoffs, but would give them an edge over their opponents in a one game playoff or in October. The same applies to the Dodgers and without Kershaw their chances of going far is fairly small. Throw in the Yankees who seem to very interested in Sale despite their place in the standings and that's five teams with the resources & motivation to pull off a deal. It all depends on how well Hahn pits these teams against one another. The interest for Sale will be there, it's all comes down to Hann convincing one of them to do something stupid. Otherwise, Hahn can wait until the offseason to make his move.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
Thinking of the possibilities and being teased is fun, but I think JR would rather reload in the offseason then sell off assets. I'd say it is unlikely Sale or Quintana get traded.

While I'm sure Reinsdorf would love to reload, I'm not sure how that's even possible. He'd have to spend like crazy on the few attractive free agents and/or give up pretty much everything of value in an already depleted system. Quite frankly, I don't think Hahn could make a realistic business case for competing next year even if he wanted to.

That doesn't mean they go full rebuild, but there should definitely be some selling.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
While I'm sure Reinsdorf would love to reload, I'm not sure how that's even possible. He'd have to spend like crazy on the few attractive free agents and/or give up pretty much everything of value in an already depleted system. Quite frankly, I don't think Hahn could make a realistic business case for competing next year even if he wanted to.

That doesn't mean they go full rebuild, but there should definitely be some selling.

It will be interesting to see what prevails in the next couple of days. Sound baseball decisions for improving the long term health of the organization, or decisions made to align with the timeline of the 80 year old owner.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
It will be interesting to see what prevails in the next couple of days. Sound baseball decisions for improving the long term health of the organization, or decisions made to align with the timeline of the 80 year old owner.

That 80 year old owner needs to realize he'll be "mired in mediocrity" if they don't sell and revamp this team. Now is the time with this market. Then hope next season Abreu rebounds and sell him at the deadline along with Frazier if he's not moved by the deadline.