Sox are going to blow this, aren't they?

Dunt

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
Yes, they are going to blow it. I know there's still time but it would be so unlike us to make big trades. Maybe a Robertson one but that's all. Hope I'm wrong.

Starting to feel this way as well. Have a bad feeling we'll get a minor league catcher for Robertson and Hahn/KW will argue that said player and Tilson can be everyday regulars. Would be such a Hahn/KW plan two make two or three smaller moves and hope the players acquired can immediately plug holes.

The articles written on ESPN in defense of the Yankees selling Chapman and Miller are the exact ones that should be written about the White Sox.

It's time for Hahn to help revive this franchise and just trading Duke or Robertson for little inprovements will not be enough

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
The articles written on ESPN in defense of the Yankees selling Chapman and Miller are the exact ones that should be written about the White Sox.

It's time for Hahn to help revive this franchise and just trading Duke or Robertson for little inprovements will not be enough

Just came in here to post this. All of the Cashman comments are what should be coming out of Hahn's mouth as well. It's long overdue to adjust and try something new.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)

Yes, but is Hahn allowed to? Jerry probably won't let him

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
Seeing the returns the Yankees got make me jealous. But then again Hahn isn't a good GM

Well miller and chapman were saught after players and teams were willing to ponie up. Doesnt seem teams are in that case for sox players

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Well miller and chapman were saught after players and teams were willing to ponie up. Doesnt seem teams are in that case for sox players

I really don't care if other teams won't help us out, it's still Hahns responsibility to improve this team and I will not just shrug my shoulders and wait until the offseason for the next set of excuses. You ever notice that? There's always a set of circumstances and excuses every year that seem to conspire against the White Sox. Maybe Hahn is just not good at negotiating. Or trading. Or building a roster. "Sale and Q are too valuable, no one will pay for them." Yeah, ok. Yet another excuse. Meanwhile they'll pay for Chapman, Miller, or Shelby Miller. Oh right, the market favors shut down relievers now and Arizona overpayed. Never seems to work in our favor, does it?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Until the Red Sox and, or Rangers acquire a starter, which both teams are openly seeking, there is still a very good chance that Hahn trades Sale or Q.

I can't believe that those teams are just going to stand pat, without adding an arm. He has insisted that he wants 5 prospects for Sale, which I would

guess is posturing. So, if he settles for 4 really good ones, who are near Major League ready, that would be his "concession". I'd take that, wouldn't you?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
Until the Red Sox and, or Rangers acquire a starter, which both teams are openly seeking, there is still a very good chance that Hahn trades Sale or Q.

I can't believe that those teams are just going to stand pat, without adding an arm. He has insisted that he wants 5 prospects for Sale, which I would

guess is posturing. So, if he settles for 4 really good ones, who are near Major League ready, that would be his "concession". I'd take that, wouldn't you?

No. I don't settle or concede for either Quintana or Sale

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
No. I don't settle or concede for either Quintana or Sale

You're just being sarcastic, right? I mean, you wouldn't be happy with 4 top, Major League ready prospects? Of course, it depends upon exactly which prospects, but I wouldn't be stuck on the quantity, which Hahn has been openly demanding. I'd settle for 4, instead of 5, providing they are the right ones.

Oh, and I inadvertently left out the Dodgers, which you can add to the Red Sox and Rangers. So, none of those teams have acquired a starter, which they all need.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:26 PM)
You're just being sarcastic, right? I mean, you wouldn't be happy with 4 top, Major League ready prospects? Of course, it depends upon exactly which prospects, but I wouldn't be stuck on the quantity, which Hahn has been openly demanding. I'd settle for 4, instead of 5, providing they are the right ones.

No, I'm not being sarcastic one bit. You have not one but two of the top left handed starters under team control with very good deals. You don't concede at all. You don't settle at all. There is literally no need for the sox to make any move that does not greatly benefit them

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
No, I'm not being sarcastic one bit. You have not one but two of the top left handed starters under team control with very good deals. You don't concede at all. You don't settle at all. There is literally no need for the sox to make any move that does not greatly benefit them

The time where we can continue to say this is very quickly running out...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:34 PM)
The time where we can continue to say this is very quickly running out...

They have three years to f*** it up, I'm not gonna flip out if they don't do it now

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
They have three years to f*** it up, I'm not gonna flip out if they don't do it now

The problem is the value of these assets diminishes as the length of the team-friendly term is reduced. I hear you, there is still time, but at some point, you either s*** or get off the pot.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)

So, if Boston agreed to Moncada, Benintendi, Devers and Kopeck, you wouldn't be satisfied with that haul for Sale? I think the quality here is more important than the quantity. I don't care if it's 4, instead of 5, as long as they are the right 4.

Again, I would guess that Hahn's insistence on "5 prospects" was always just a starting position, from which he was willing to negotiate. Just as I suspect the Dombrowski's refusal to deal Moncada is posturing. No one is going to start right out with their ultimate position.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
So, if Boston agreed to Moncada, Benintendi, Devers and Kopeck, you wouldn't be satisfied with that haul for Sale? I think the quality here is more important than the quantity. I don't care if it's 4, instead of 5, as long as they are the right 4.

No, if I set his value at 5 top prospects, and you don't want to meet it, goodbye. There is zero guarantee any of those prospects do anything at the major league level, we are handing you a consistent Cy Young contender. If you want that shot at the World Series and feel Sale is your final piece, then pay up.

Rarely do these large prospect heavy deals work out for the team giving up the all star, I want as many lottery tickets as I can get

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 05:36 PM)
The problem is the value of these assets diminishes as the length of the team-friendly term is reduced. I hear you, there is still time, but at some point, you either s*** or get off the pot.

Hahn doesn't have to deal right now, though. He can wait until the winter meetings if he doesn't like what other teams are willing to trade at the moment.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)

Again, I would guess that Hahn's insistence on "5 prospects" was always just a starting position, from which he was willing to negotiate. Just as I suspect the Dombrowski's refusal to deal Moncada is posturing. No one is going to start right out with their ultimate position.

I think that Hahn would eventually take that deal. I'm sure that he and Kenny have sketched out several trade scenarios for what they believe Sale or Q is worth, and other "close enough" scenarios that they would initially resist, but eventually agree to.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
No, if I set his value at 5 top prospects, and you don't want to meet it, goodbye. There is zero guarantee any of those prospects do anything at the major league level, we are handing you a consistent Cy Young contender. If you want that shot at the World Series and feel Sale is your final piece, then pay up.

Rarely do these large prospect heavy deals work out for the team giving up the all star, I want as many lottery tickets as I can get

I don't disagree with your opinion about prospects. My only point was that i think the #5 was his bargaining position. In other words, if Hahn really wanted 5, he probably would have asked for 6. It just doesn't seem logical that he would state his ultimate demand, and not leave some room to negotiate.

For the trade deadline I'm hoping the Sox move Robertson, Melky, Shields and Abreu. Unless a contender steps up right now and is willing to pay dearly for Sale or Q, I think the best time to trade one of them would be the winter. Would also be open to the idea of trading Fulmer for a position prospect.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
For the trade deadline I'm hoping the Sox move Robertson, Melky, Shields and Abreu. Unless a contender steps up right now and is willing to pay dearly for Sale or Q, I think the best time to trade one of them would be the winter. Would also be open to the idea of trading Fulmer for a position prospect.

Why Abreu?

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:57 PM)
Has Hahn or anyone said what the actual plan is moving forward? If they want to do an actual rebuild then I would think the big deals (Q/Sale) wait until the offseason when more teams will get involved.

At this point, why even bother telling anyone about a plan? How many times has "three year plan" been thrown back in their face(for good reason)?

Fix that s***. Keep your plan in house. Stop talking about plans and start executing them