Sox are going to blow this, aren't they?

Dunt

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Do you really think they will spend $50 million in salary next year to fill these positions with players who are actually good? Then what do they do in 2018 when Frazier, Lawrie and Melky's contracts are up? Spend another $50 million to replace. Now is the time to sell and rebuild the farm. This situation could not be any more ideal. Selling 2 of the top SP in the game and get back huge hauls for the future. Trading now will have you in a good position as early as 2018.

Keep in mind that even if the Sox wanted to spend that kind of money the free agent class is poor. That means in all probability if they are "going for it" yet again they are going to have to make trades. That does two things, deplete an average at best farm system and potentially create MORE holes on the big league roster because they traded someone off it.

The Sox have been reduced to "hope and a prayer" that they can catch lightening in a bottle.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until the contending teams, which are looking for starting pitching, have acquired the arms they seek, I remain optimistic that Hahn will be able to make a good deal for Sale, or Quintana. Boston, Texas and L. A. have not yet acquired anyone, and they are running out of time. They are the ones who are up against the deadline, if they want to win it, this year. The Pale Hose can wait, if they have to. There is always the off season. I just hope that Hahn doesn't screw it up.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
Yep, they probably will.

A front office that can't come close to .500 while "all in" probably doesn't have the chops to grab value when its available.

It's becoming apparent that Hahn is to general managing what Ventura is to managing.

Again hahn has 2 bosses he has to go through on making decisions. He cant go crazy and start doing stuff on his own without probably get in big trouble. Same goes for making the decision on keeping or getting rid of ventura. Has to go through his bosses

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
No way in hell is James Shields opting out, it's simply not happening. The guy is guaranteed $42M over the next two years. He is not getting more than that as a free agent. I think there's a better chance he retires than opting out.

I didn't say opting out for more money...

I swear if we stand pat I'm going to be beyond pissed. Thinking we can go into '17 without 3-4 new, and improved, position players would be beyond stupid. It's going to be huge $ deals for the few quality starting position players available in free agency and we don't have a single prospect coming. Painfully obvious moves need to be made.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
I mean, if you assume the plan is actually to trade people vs competing next year, perhaps.

If they're really serious about competing next year they should be trying to get Lucroy from the Brewers.

Then they better be ready to extremely overpay for Reddick and Encarnacion this offseason, outbidding other teams no matter how stupid the offer.

Then, fix the bullpen.

Then maybe they would have a chance to compete next year.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
If they're really serious about competing next year they should be trying to get Lucroy from the Brewers.

Then they better be ready to extremely overpay for Reddick and Encarnacion this offseason, outbidding other teams no matter how stupid the offer.

Then, fix the bullpen.

What's the package for Lucroy? Fulmer and ....? We have pretty much 0 hitting prospects worth a damn in a trade. I can't see any circumstance where we could make the best offer in any trade for good player.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 06:12 PM)
What's the package for Lucroy? Fulmer and ....? We have pretty much 0 hitting prospects worth a damn in a trade. I can't see any circumstance where we could make the best offer in any trade for good player.

It would have to be like Saladino/Fulmer/Adams/Danish/Trey M. Not a flashy return but it could end up being a pretty good one for them. I don't see how we get Lucroy because if no team is paying up big for Sale or Q they will have the additional assets to move for Lucroy.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)

Then, fix the bullpen.

Emphasis on maybe. After 3 years of going for it, they may be able to compete.

What a capable front office.

I Think it depends on how you define "blowing it."

If the mouthbreathers in the front office trade away assets for less than FULL VALUE, yes that would be "blowing it." The craptacular returns for swisher & peavey hurt this organization every bit as much as the stupid acquisitions of mediocre veterans like Jeff S.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
I Think it depends on how you define "blowing it."

If the mouthbreathers in the front office trade away assets for less than FULL VALUE, yes that would be "blowing it." The craptacular returns for swisher & peavey hurt this organization every bit as much as the stupid acquisitions of mediocre veterans like Jeff S.

Stranger Things have happened

To summarize the Sox trade deadline talks:

There isn't one team that wants any player we have other than Sale and Quintana, and there are no serious talks involving either one of them.

Get ready for a slow slog until the end of another disappointing season.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 12:39 AM)
To summarize the Sox trade deadline talks:

There isn't one team that wants any player we have other than Sale and Quintana, and there are no serious talks involving either one of them.

Get ready for a slow slog until the end of another disappointing season.

This is just flat out not true.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 03:38 AM)
It's true until proven otherwise

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 54s54 seconds ago

The #Marlins, on hand to scout #WhiteSox starter Miguel Gonzalez, see strong performance: 6.2 IP, 7 hits, 2 ER, 8 Ks, 2 walks vs. #Cubs.

K.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 05:04 PM)
so terrible free agent class, no minor leaguers to trade....I'm just kind of curious what the "go for it 2017" plan would look like.

The Free Agent class isn't awful, there's actual useful players for the Sox but there is no way they get the best options. They will just be too expensive and they will sell you on Adam Lind, Carlos Gomez, Pedro Alvarez, Matt Weiters types. They may go after one of the bigger names like Encarnacion, Trumbo, Bautista, but the cost and length of contract will hurt them long term anyway. Also, as I have said in other posts, wait til 2018 and then they have to go out and spend even more money to replace Melky, Lawrie and Frazier. This team just isn't going to spend a combined $50 million in salary on free agents in back to back years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 02:52 AM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 54s54 seconds ago

The #Marlins, on hand to scout #WhiteSox starter Miguel Gonzalez, see strong performance: 6.2 IP, 7 hits, 2 ER, 8 Ks, 2 walks vs. #Cubs.

K.

I would have thought he'd be a better choice than Cashner. Not sure what the Marlins have left. I certainly wouldn't give him away- in contrast to Shields, his peripherals are decent.

Back to Vaquez- he would be a good piece in a Robertson deal or a great THE piece for Shields.

Edited by GreenSox