Sox are going to blow this, aren't they?

Dunt

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
I am not sure I buy this logic. Sox are the type of team that places a value on each asset and wont budge past what they assess that value at. They aren't a team that makes moves on emotion.

I think they've gauged the value for Robertson, Sale, Quintana, Duke, Frazier, Cabrera, etc. They probably have offers in place. With a guy like Robertson, they're very much pushing to move him and they're probably holding out until they're sure they have the best possible offer in hand. On guys like Q/Sale, they have a price, and they are waiting for that price to be met. Maybe some team succombs to the Sox demands with the deadline approaching, maybe they don't.

The issue is that while they are sitting by watching their assets lose value, deals are being made around them, deals that they could be making to improve the team in the long term. The FO seems to have a lot of paralysis in decision making, most likely because they have too many decision makers to ever be nimble.

The Sox are going to trade a few prospects that they have left for a veteran OF and maybe C in the offseason and try and make another run, because thats what they always do, and when that happens Frazier, Cabrera, Robertson, Sale, and Q will continue to lose value as their length of control decreases, and worse case scenario, injury.

I like the trades that Hahn has made(except for the Frazier deal), but I just feel the front office has no plan. They started down the path of a rebuild getting some quality prospects in the org and then closed the book and decided they were going to jump into competing a year into the plan.

Yes, they could make moves in the off-season when there are more buyers. The offseason is a more difficult time to extract value as there are usually a lot more sellers as well in combination to the assets that are available on the open market as FA.

I really can not wait for JR to sell the team, he has built an institution that thrives at mediocrity and does little to nothing to try and actually put a competitive franchise together.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
David Robertson, Miguel Gonzalez, James Shields, Justin Morneau, Melky Cabrera are all still here.......why?

Hmmm.... Let me put on my KW & Co., hat. "So people will still come out and watch our mediocre team that maybe wins 79-80 games" HAHAHAH.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
David Robertson, Miguel Gonzalez, James Shields, Justin Morneau, Melky Cabrera are all still here.......why?

That's where I'm at. Add Lawrie and Frazier to the pile too. I get not finding the deal for Q or Sale, but this is too ridiculous. :angry:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
In years past when they did nothing we heard they were going to do nothing a half hour before the deadline. I am sure they are still working right now.

Usually a stuff keeps coming for at least 15 minutes past the deadline (in the sense that it has been delivered to the league, but came together last minute so less likely leaked).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Usually a stuff keeps coming for at least 15 minutes past the deadline (in the sense that it has been delivered to the league, but came together last minute so less likely leaked).

Ha!

The annual obligatory, "maybe it just hasn't been announced yet" post.