Sox are going to blow this, aren't they?

Dunt

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the bafflement. I get that you guys think they should blow it up, but why are you shocked that they aren't? They're a .500 team with all of their core players controlled next year. They just decided to keep trying to build and win. I'm not saying it's the RIGHT decision, but it's not a confusing one either.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
I don't understand the bafflement. I get that you guys think they should blow it up, but why are you shocked that they aren't? They're a .500 team with all of their core players controlled next year. They just decided to keep trying to build and win. I'm not saying it's the RIGHT decision, but it's not a confusing one either.

I don't think anyone is baffled by it(I think a lot of us kind of expected it) but some of us are certainly pissed about it. It didn't work this year so lets go ahead and do the same thing again that hasn't worked in a f***in decade now.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)

I think the struggle is they have specifically talked about how "mired" in mediocrity they were, which makes you think they were ready to change course. All of this goes back to managing expectations and the Sox tend to struggle in the case of how they manage fans expectations, etc. Technically, the team has gotten better each of the past two years, but the question is, how do you take the next step forward, especially when some of your best players are getting closer and closer to not being under team control (not an urgent issue, but a year or two years from now, it certainly becomes one).

Its extremely confusing. What is going to put this team in a better position to compete next season than they are now? The free agent class is not good, especially when you consider where the Sox typically fall in the pecking order of free agents, and there are very few tradeable assets on the farm to fill the holes at C, LF, CF, LHRP and SP. Why not sell when your assets have more control (and value) rather than waiting for the value of those assets to diminish and get a meager return that will delay your eventual rebuild.

Yikes.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)

Uhh because it's painfully obvious that the "core" isn't good enough? How many years does a FO need to see their offense at the bottom of the league to say, "wait, maybe this isn't working"? I could see your point if they made the playoffs in the past year and this year was just a down year. No, this is a decade long stretch of crap. You can't make "1 last push" when there was never a start to your run. That's why everyone is baffled

Not really surprised they did nothing.

Just baffled how a group of professionals could actually believe that a core that has failed miserably for 2 years in a row, when going for it (not in rebuilding) mode, will win next year. I suspect it's job protection and wishcasting, more than real belief, and that they will blame this year on a)Injuries and b)Ventura - tacitly by making a change.

Edited by GreenSox

This team will be 10 games under 500 when the 2016 season ends. They are nowhere even close a playoff team with this "core".

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)

Yeah, it is confusing. I've been shaking my head so much, my neck is sore.

We don't know if Hahn is totally gutless, or if the ostrich owner took away his telephone privileges.

This is not a .500 team

By some miracle, we opened the season 23-10.. they have been 28-44 since then, damn near 20 games under .500

Here's whats coming, 3 @ Detroit - 3 Vs Baltimore - 3 @ Kansas City - 3 @ Miami - 3 @ Cleveland

Pretty much 4 playoff teams and one team we cant beat.. its about to be hammer time

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
This

Plenty of opportunities to deal Sale this winter.

I cannot wait until this winter. I feel like it'll be the last of the "wait and see" crowd when Sale and Quintana remain and there will be no more holding off for another six months. All he did is buy time for people who share your sentiments

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
This

Plenty of opportunities to deal Sale this winter.

Its not just Sale, I don't think anyone minds the idea of holding Sale and Q to the winter. Its keeping guys like Frazier, Cabrera, Robertson, Shields, and Gonzalez, guys that have their values enhanced by teams being in win now mode and the limited availability of assets. Those are the guys you need to get deals for. The market for closers and the releif market in general has been insane, and the Sox failed to capitalize. The Yankees just pulled in a pitcher drafter 1.4 last year for two months of 39 yo Carlos Beltran. There were plenty of deals to be made. The FO did nothing to improve the future (long and short term) of this team.