Gamethread: Sox vs Orioles

Kyyle23

Boy our team stinks. Don't know what they are gonna do to fix things. Five runs isn't bad, yet we lose by two. How can Robin even enjoy his job? You'd think he'd want out of this by now. It can't be fun watching such a bad team night after night.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 10:34 PM)
Why is it that the umps always seem to oblige the opposing managers but refuse to review when the Sox request? It's like they have no respect for Ventura.

Does anyone respect him as a manager? We are better off with a potted plant on the bench.

Edited by GreatScott82

Sox were in the game until Robin brought in Kahnle with predictable results.

Says a few things:

1. The state of the Sox bullpen that this guy is even on the roster (and you can throw Turner in there as well)

2. The state of the Sox minor league system that there are basically no other options.

It is what it is, isn't it?

Mark

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
Why is it that the umps always seem to oblige the opposing managers but refuse to review when the Sox request? It's like they have no respect for Ventura.

They must read Soxtalk and WSI.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 10:34 PM)

I was wondering this myself

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 10:07 PM)
Though it seems like wishful thinking - a little birdie told me that it could actually happen.

Really? I mean this is a business and JR's business is suffering. It's time to bring in fresh blood. A new GM that reports to JR directly. Then a new coaching staff that can develop players and coach them well. Rebuild this thing and we'll be back on track in a few seasons. That's the only way to be good for a period of time. Otherwise it's lightning in a bottle.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 09:48 PM)
Really? I mean this is a business and JR's business is suffering. It's time to bring in fresh blood. A new GM that reports to JR directly. Then a new coaching staff that can develop players and coach them well. Rebuild this thing and we'll be back on track in a few seasons. That's the only way to be good for a period of time. Otherwise it's lightning in a bottle.

Is a waste of time with the same front office. It seems this is a pattern shared by Hah/KW. So it makes me think Reinsdorf is far more involved.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
I don't really blast Robin for managing the pen right now. It's a disaster unless it's the 8th or 9th. His hands are tied.

Isn't this more of Cooper's responsibility? He may have outlived his effectiveness.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 03:41 AM)
Sox were in the game until Robin brought in Kahnle with predictable results.

Says a few things:

1. The state of the Sox bullpen that this guy is even on the roster (and you can throw Turner in there as well)

2. The state of the Sox minor league system that there are basically no other options.

It is what it is, isn't it?

Mark

We've had so many bad relievers the past few seasons it's hard to believe. I don't follow all teams closely but I assume all lousy teams have some incredibly bad pitchers in the bullpen. I don't know how players don't have higher batting averages than they do with all this crap taking the mound nowadays. And fourth and fifth starters? Some of them are so so bad.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 04:08 AM)
We've had so many bad relievers the past few seasons it's hard to believe. I don't follow all teams closely but I assume all lousy teams have some incredibly bad pitchers in the bullpen. I don't know how players don't have higher batting averages than they do with all this crap taking the mound nowadays. And fourth and fifth starters? Some of them are so so bad.

Actually if you look around baseball, there are about 50 guys who float from team to team as bullpen non-closer guys. They are kind of like .250 hitters. Some years they hit .225 and some .275. Some of them are former closers ( i.e. Reed, Nathan, Uehara etc) that teams hope will return to their old form. Some are young guys filling a role while teams are deciding if they are starters or relievers. There is the lefty group who go for years pitching very limited innings but at key times. Then you have the long relievers who are the 6th starter or more likely just a mop up guy.

there are some very good relievers but it is also a crap shoot with a lot of them.

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
Really Narvaez and Kevan Smith should be the catching tandem in the final two months. DFA Navarro, he is a waste of a roster spot.

I agree. They were quick to cut Danks, Rollins, and Latos but have to keep a catcher who can't catch or hit. Now that they're out of it, they really should be cutting guys loose that serve no benefit to playing. Play the kids and get the high draft pick.