Zack Burdi not coming to Chicago this season

Baron

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 10:06 PM)
8 years? What are you talking about? Most of those years had badass rosters that looked competitve on paper. "Hey Paulie, screw your prime and your last good years, we're going to get some prospects. Piss off you old goateed-sometimes fool." GMAB

Maybe, just maybe, if the White Sox constantly have rosters that "look good on paper" and none of those teams made the playoffs and most weren't close...it's time to reevaluate how you're judging that the team looks good on paper, because the method you're using to judge that is failing.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Maybe, just maybe, if the White Sox constantly have rosters that "look good on paper" and none of those teams made the playoffs and most weren't close...it's time to reevaluate how you're judging that the team looks good on paper, because the method you're using to judge that is failing.

Sure thing. But if Peavy hadn't ripped his back muscle off his spine and TCQ actually recovered from punching a locker I have no doubt there would have been more playoff appearances. If Adam Dunn wasn't a pile of horsemeat, there would have been some more playoffs. I'm not saying the FO is perfect but I think people need to cut them some slack when they point their finger clammoring like an old drunk, "16 years, 2 playoffs!" That's insane. The team looked darn good every year on paper from 2001-2013. Many devastating injuries to key personnel. It's been 3 years since they decided to flip cores & go young, cut them some slack. Almost competed during the process too.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
Sure thing. But if Peavy hadn't ripped his back muscle off his spine and TCQ actually recovered from punching a locker I have no doubt there would have been more playoff appearances. If Adam Dunn wasn't a pile of horsemeat, there would have been some more playoffs. I'm not saying the FO is perfect but I think people need to cut them some slack when they point their finger clammoring like an old drunk, "16 years, 2 playoffs!" That's insane. The team looked darn good every year on paper from 2001-2013. Many devastating injuries to key personnel. It's been 3 years since they decided to flip cores & go young, cut them some slack. Almost competed during the process too.

If injuries are such a regular problem...then your organization needs to start worrying about how much depth it has at important positions before the season starts.

The Cubs this year lost one of their slugging corner OFs the first week of the season and their big money corner OF has been all but worthless with the bat. They lost their starting CF for a month, and now they've lost one of their better relievers and a starter to the DL. Yet they're still on pace for 100+ wins. They built a strong franchise and therefore have depth to absorb those hits.

If your team is only a good one if nothing goes wrong...your team is not a good one. And at some point I have to point out that the White Sox are typically among the healthiest teams in the league, so that's really a particularly weak excuse for this franchise.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)

This is one of the sillier comments I've read, as well as inaccurate . If you are backtracking 3 yrs, how exactly did the franchise "flip cores" and go young? Back end of 2013 they dumped Peavy and loaded up with Avi Garcia. Maybe I'm missing something something here, but I fail to even remotely follow your hypothesis

Every team in MLB, every damn year, looks good on paper. This isn't a fantasy league, it's professional Major League Baseball.

Please stop with the excuses already. Don't add to the nightmare. No MLB has a crystal ball, granted..but how is it that the Sox continually run into injuries, bad signings, underachievers, guessed wrongs, and other this and that, contributing to a franchise sinking further into irrelevancy.? The only time there's any notice off the Sox these days is when there's some sort of cartoon dysfunction happening.

16 yrs..2 playoff appearances and 4 straight losing seasons. You can run, but you can't hide from that. All of this tells me that the franchise, the investors, the owner, are all sitting pretty on the financial front despite this Keystone Kop product on the field. You'd be hard pressed to find any viable corporate entity in the US that would experience this much futility, and not be clamoring to find answers and clean house

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)

Peavy was already high-risk because of his delivery.

Quentin, Beckham....Konerko, very tightly wound players psychologically. KW always said you have to exercise due diligence. That slipped over the last decade.

We traded Sergio Santos and acquired Nestor Molina, who KW wasn't even completely familiar with at the time of the announcement. That's not the only time they have been asleep at the wheel. Shields this year is another prime example.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 10:06 PM)
8 years? What are you talking about? Most of those years had badass rosters that looked competitve on paper. "Hey Paulie, screw your prime and your last good years, we're going to get some prospects. Piss off you old goateed-sometimes fool." GMAB

They should have gotten some prospects; maybe some would have developed into good players; certainly couldn't be worse than the bad veterans. Williams and Hahn think 1-2 WAR veterans are special...

Teams don't win by acquiring 30 year olds as the core of the team.

It isn't just bad luck that Frazier stinks...he had red flags all around him....Hahn chose to ignore them. Shields was a walking red flag - ignored. Samardzija was a decent pitcher who had a great year..the great year was assumed to be his new norm.

Edited by GreenSox

I don't get the sense that Zack Burdi is coming up in September, but that's purely my feeling

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/768928223593959424

Hahn said Burdi is doing everything being asked of him and then some

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/768928303835000834

Hahn pointed out that they wanted Burdi to work on some things out of the stretch. Only problem--he doesn't put anybody on base.

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/768928437532667904

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
I don't get the sense that Zack Burdi is coming up in September, but that's purely my feeling

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/768928223593959424

Hahn said Burdi is doing everything being asked of him and then some

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/768928303835000834

Hahn pointed out that they wanted Burdi to work on some things out of the stretch. Only problem--he doesn't put anybody on base.

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/768928437532667904

Sox might not want to start his clock but knowing if they have a potential replacement for Robertson also would help. Thoughts on seeing Burdi called up ?

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
That may be a clue as to if they are "going for it" in 2017.

I don't think it's an indication of much. They shouldn't start his clock. Robertson should be moved regardless of the plan for 2017 before his save % takes a really big nosedive. Same argument I had for Alexei's rebound year. Not getting any younger and still with enough value to get something in return. Don't wait til they are valueless.

I am not for a total rebuild but moving valuable assets to get younger and create more payroll room should be considered for the over or nearing 30 years old assets.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
That may be a clue as to if they are "going for it" in 2017.

I thought that was the reason he was drafted originally? He was supposed to be a late season addition to the team while we were making a playoff push a la Jenks. Because there is no reason to draft a relief pitcher high if you are committing to a rebuild.

We actually will have a ton of relief arms with some major league experience in play for next season although none have proven to be dominant. Maybe Burdi gets a look at closing not sure Robertson's arm is durable enough to handle it going forward.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 05:52 PM)
I don't think it's an indication of much. They shouldn't start his clock. Robertson should be moved regardless of the plan for 2017 before his save % takes a really big nosedive. Same argument I had for Alexei's rebound year. Not getting any younger and still with enough value to get something in return. Don't wait til they are valueless.

I am not for a total rebuild but moving valuable assets to get younger and create more payroll room should be considered for the over or nearing 30 years old assets.

If he comes up now or starts in the bullpen on opening day next season, it doesn't effect when he would be arbitration/free agent eligible so his starting his clock doesn't matter.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
I thought that was the reason he was drafted originally? He was supposed to be a late season addition to the team while we were making a playoff push a la Jenks. Because there is no reason to draft a relief pitcher high if you are committing to a rebuild.

We actually will have a ton of relief arms with some major league experience in play for next season although none have proven to be dominant. Maybe Burdi gets a look at closing not sure Robertson's arm is durable enough to handle it going forward.

I am not so sure that a relief pitcher shouldn't be taken as a 1st round pick anymore, just because of what some GM's are giving up for them. It's insane what the elite relievers command in trade value. Trade a couple high end relievers like the Yanks did and wham you can rebuild your farm. All for guys who play maybe less than 5 % of the total innings played ? The Yankees are very smart for trading Chapman and Miller.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
I am not so sure that a relief pitcher shouldn't be taken as a 1st round pick anymore, just because of what some GM's are giving up for them. It's insane what the elite relievers command in trade value. Trade a couple high end relievers like the Yanks did and wham you can rebuild your farm. All for guys who play maybe less than 5 % of the total innings played ? The Yankees are very smart for trading Chapman and Miller.

I agree. You need to draft guys that ultimately help you win as a player or trade bait. Bullpens just get more important as the years go by. If Burid becomes a really good relief pitcher, it's a lot better than many of the players the Sox have selected even higher the last 25 years.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)

Yes, because they still have Betances there.

Bullpen depth is tricky. The Royals lost Davis, Hochevar and their entire pen seemed to cave in last month.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...=matthew-strahm

Then a 2012 21st round pick shows up out of nowhere and they go on a crazy consecutive innings scoreless run.

It's all about scouting. Pretty crazy the Royals and Yankees could be just 2 and 2.5 GB in the WC race after today with both teams losing two of their four best relievers in the span of a month.

And yet, as good as that reliever has been, KC has every intention of pushing Strahm into the starting rotation next year despite his success as a reliever in 2016.

Conversely, every single reliever the White Sox have used to hold down that 7th inning RH relief role after Petricka, Putnam and Albers has blown up in their faces....

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
If he comes up now or starts in the bullpen on opening day next season, it doesn't effect when he would be arbitration/free agent eligible so his starting his clock doesn't matter.

Doesn't that depend on how the new CBA decides to deal with service time?