Lawrie getting closer, Avila not

southsider2k5

I'm actually good with seeing Narvaez play a fair amount the rest of the way. Avila and Navarro are gone after this year anyway. Narvaez isn't going to be a starter (barring injuries), but I think he might be a legit MLB backup. Might as well give him some more time on the field, and maybe that's a job you don't have to worry about spending money on next year. Worst case, he sucks, and you are where you were to begin with.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 10:25 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing Avila back next year. No need to see Navarro around here again, though. Narvaez seems a capable backup.

If Avila is back next year, Narvaez is your starting catcher.

In other words, injuries will limit Avila to less than half of a season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 08:27 PM)
Then Lawrie comes back and Saladino goes to the bench....Morneau playing for a contract with another team.

They might as well let Saladino catch for as much difference as it will make.

What is Lawrie's contractual status with the White Sox?

I'm still not sure if Saladino can get on base enough (he currently doesn't) to be a regular player, but he does have ability and may improve; however, is he a bench player or an everyday 2B?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 13, 2016 -> 10:46 PM)
What is Lawrie's contractual status with the White Sox?

I'm still not sure if Saladino can get on base enough (he currently doesn't) to be a regular player, but he does have ability and may improve; however, is he a bench player or an everyday 2B?

Saladino is not a 2B. 2B is very different from SS and 3B, which are his true positions. He hasn't looked as sharp at second as he has at those two.

The problem is that Lawrie has been injury prone his entire career and he's not someone you can reliably count on for a 750ish ops.

Saladino's closer to 675, but can he imrove to the 700-725 level? If so, there's no reason to just give the position to Lawrie for one more year only to get nothing in return when he leaves.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
If you don't care, why post? Now excuse me while I get off of your lawn.

I care, Southsider. Probably just tired and frustrated when I posted that. You can stay on my lawn.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
I for one am excited for 2017 Lawrie. We've seen his potential, he's better at taking walks, and I think we could see a 25-homer season from him if he stays healthy

He's had 1 year in his career where he has stayed fully healthy/played >130 games, and every year of his career except his brief rookie stint he's had an OPS between .706 and .729. His walk rate has gone up this year, but so has his K-rate. He looks like one remarkably consistent, average 2b who gets hurt for a stint each year.