Omar Narvaez

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)
He's a very solid catcher. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure his BB% was high and K% was low in the minors. Would have no problem with him being the starter depending on what we do with the rest of the holes.

He has been the best, or among the best, hitters in the entire system in terms of BB:K during his time in the org.

Also, his defense is not an illusion. He's been good defensively all along, with a decent arm and athletic actions.

We (FutureSox writers) have been saying for a couple years, he looked like a legit backup MLB catching prospect. Just thought his time would be more 2017 than 2016, but injuries forced the timeline.

He won't hit for much power, and he may not hit much at all. But he'll get his free passes, make enough contact to not hit for a horrible average, and play league average defense with the potential for better on that end. He's cheap and under control for another 5-6 seasons. He hits left-handed. He's not fast, but compared to other catchers he's average in that department, maybe a little better. He's everything you want in a backup C, really. But that's what he is, and I think he'll disappoint if he has to start for any length of time.

Not many good stories with this team this year, but he's one of those few.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Narvaez plus a health Avila would be fine, going for it or not.

It's the healthy Avila that is the big if.

That tandem would consist of two left handed hitters. Is that a good idea?

Whom might the Sox use for a right handed hitter?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)
That tandem would consist of two left handed hitters. Is that a good idea?

Whom might the Sox use for a right handed hitter?

I don't see the big deal. Sox always seem on the lookout for left handed bats anyway.

both are competent catchers...that's a leg up on where we have been and won't preclude this team actually winning (if the rest of the club is up to spiff).

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
Looks like the League may have Narvaez figured out... his average is plunging.

1 for his last 21, but that's also just 5 games. He wasn't going to keep hitting .340.

He is what he is - a probably good backup C. But they should definitely keep playing him this September, get him as much exposure as they can so he's got a little more experience going into 2017.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
1 for his last 21, but that's also just 5 games. He wasn't going to keep hitting .340.

He is what he is - a probably good backup C. But they should definitely keep playing him this September, get him as much exposure as they can so he's got a little more experience going into 2017.

His major league OPS is finally in line with his minor league career average, both just under .700. I think that is a pretty reasonable early ceiling for him offensively.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
His major league OPS is finally in line with his minor league career average, both just under .700. I think that is a pretty reasonable early ceiling for him offensively.

And a .690 OPS with his defense is better than your average MLB backup catcher. He's one of the few bright spots this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
And for half a million dollars a year, I would take it in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
While he's shown us a lot, he's still probably going to improve. I know you two are aware but his minimal experience in AA/AAA is almost unprecedented. He's been playing catch up all year and he's hanging in there.

Also both good points. He's going to be cheap for 3 years and pretty-cheap for 3 more potentially. And the fact that he's not a disaster playing regularly in MLB, after never playing above A-ball prior to this year, is encouraging too.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
While he's shown us a lot, he's still probably going to improve. I know you two are aware but his minimal experience in AA/AAA is almost unprecedented. He's been playing catch up all year and he's hanging in there.

I can't argue with that. Even if he doesn't, where he is at today is a valuable player.