Dave Kaplan reports Kenny Williams holding back Rick Hahn

Donaldo

If everything is true, everyone that has doubted Hahn now knows why. He can't do anything his way. Can't rebuild, can't have the proper funds to go out and get impact players (Cespedes, Gordon, Upton, Fowler last off season).

Jerry and Kenny are screwing him over big time. I'm hoping he goes to the Twins.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
If everything is true, everyone that has doubted Hahn now knows why. He can't do anything his way. Can't rebuild, can't have the proper funds to go out and get impact players (Cespedes, Gordon, Upton, Fowler last off season).

Jerry and Kenny are screwing him over big time. I'm hoping he goes to the Twins.

Ive been saying this for awhile that i cant blame hahn for the messs they are in for jerry and kenny still being his boss and they have the say so

I'll believe it when I see it. If RH has been JR and KW's pool boy since he got the job, I think you can blame him for sticking around this long.

There is no way you can single one of the 3 out and say none of the problems are any of his fault.

People were praising Hahn just a year and a half ago. When those moves went south, they had to be KW's idea.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
I'll believe it when I see it. If RH has been JR and KW's pool boy since he got the job, I think you can blame him for sticking around this long.

There is no way you can single one of the 3 out and say none of the problems are any of his fault.

Yeah that's stupid too. He sounds completely oblivious if this was the case.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Yeah that's stupid too. He sounds completely oblivious if this was the case.

And on top of it, it isn't like he came from somewhere else and didn't really know what he was getting into.

I also remember him taking all the blame for the Keppinger deal.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
Did Hahn give JR an ultimatum? Heard someone ask Kaplan about it

No. Kaplan said that Hahn's contract is up after the season. He said that the person he spoke with said that Hahn should give JR an ultimatum. He said this because this person believes that Hahn would get another job in 8 seconds. Maybe not a GM job, but as an Assistant and get another GM job within 2 years. Well respected in the industry.

And all of us sox fans need to thank jerry for keeping kenny around when he should of been let go to Toronto. Jerry and kenny have really messed up this organization for the last 16 years. According to to baseball america the sox had the #1 farm system in baseball in 2001. Since then kenny has dragged it down the the middle of the pack then to one of the bottom in his time frame of being gm. Kinda funny reading baseball America saying year after year of kenny trading away prospects for veteran players and jerry not spening more in drafts and international market. Luckily we got a world series out of it and one other playoff appearance in that time frame

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
No. Kaplan said that Hahn's contract is up after the season. He said that the person he spoke with said that Hahn should give JR an ultimatum. He said this because this person believes that Hahn would get another job in 8 seconds. Maybe not a GM job, but as an Assistant and get another GM job within 2 years. Well respected in the industry.

If all this is true, he's an assistant GM now.

I don't think all of it is true. Maybe some of it is. But he knew what he was getting into.

The other thing to keep in mind, if there is something to this, it shows JR has no trust in RH. What evidence is there to show RH does have all the answers?

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
Hahn seems like a simpleton or completely gullible to me. I don't see how the guy went to Harvard Law or whatever it was.

That's one reason I am not fully buying this. Maybe he did want to do a total rebuild. That still can be done. It doesn't mean he has been against every move made the last 2 years, and if he was, he's a wuss for still being there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)

I don't think all of it is true. Maybe some of it is. But he knew what he was getting into.

The other thing to keep in mind, if there is something to this, it shows JR has no trust in RH. What evidence is there to show RH does have all the answers?

What evidence shows that Kenny and Jerry have the answer by always going for it? 2 playoff appearances in 16 years? OK.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
That's one reason I am not fully buying this. Maybe he did want to do a total rebuild. That still can be done. It doesn't mean he has been against every move made the last 2 years, and if he was, he's a wuss for still being there.

He can only get out of his contract if he were to be promoted.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)

People were praising Hahn just a year and a half ago. When those moves went south, they had to be KW's idea.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)

This is all accurate. They are all at fault to some extent and I don't see how RH would truly have held on this long considering it's basically career suicide to let someone run the show with your name attached to it.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
All of this doesn't matter. The politics have very little meaning when the results aren't there.

EVERYONE has failed. The front office, the coaching staff, the players.

When it comes specifically to the front office and the baseball operations team, as Sox fans none of us should be picking sides. 1 playoff appearance in 10 years. They all should be fired.

I agree, but Hahn has only been "in charge" for 3 years.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
Brian Bilek ‏@BrianBilek_ 43m43 minutes ago

Brian Bilek Retweeted RockChalk

Hahn would have to be offered a promotion to be relieved of his contract.

Wouldn't he just be able to quit and then take a job when the contract is done with?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
Brian Bilek ‏@BrianBilek_ 43m43 minutes ago

Brian Bilek Retweeted RockChalk

Hahn would have to be offered a promotion to be relieved of his contract.

Maybe he has the same type of contract as KW where there is an automatic rollover. Basically if KW got fired, he would get a year's severance. But even with a possible promotion, JR wouldn't let him talk to Toronto. KW then contemplated resigning, but realized that wouldn't be very bright.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
When it comes specifically to the front office and the baseball operations team, as Sox fans none of us should be picking sides. 1 playoff appearance in 10 years. They all should be fired.

Exactly, there should be no apologists for any of them. They all suck.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
I agree, but Hahn has only been "in charge" for 3 years.

What is out there that would indicate KW and JR are stooges and RH is not? He's been part of the operation and decision making process for more than a few years.

Rick Hahn has been the proverbial back up QB for years. Always very popular until you actually have to put him in a game.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
What is out there that would indicate KW and JR are stooges and RH is not? He's been part of the operation for more than a few years.

Rick Hahn has been the proverbial back up QB for years. Always very popular until you actually have to put him in a game.

Are Williams and Reinsdorf not more to blame? They are the ones in charge and won't let Hahn do his job as the team's GM.

It's also out there that Hahn wanted to rebuild the off season going into '14 I believe, but was told not too. Hahn then had to adjust his plans, and then acquired Samardzija.

JR and KW want to compete, give the team some money to play with instead of 18 million wasted on Latos, Rollins, Jackson, and Albers.

Finally, Hahn wanted to rebuild this trade deadline, was told not having any of that. Hahn is tied at the hands with what he can do.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
Are Williams and Reinsdorf not more to blame? They are the ones in charge and won't let Hahn do his job as the team's GM.

It's also out there that Hahn wanted to rebuild the off season going into '14 I believe, but was told not too. Hahn then had to adjust his plans, and then acquired Samardzija.

JR and KW want to compete, give the team some money to play with instead of 18 million wasted on Latos, Rollins, Jackson, and Albers.

Finally, Hahn wanted to rebuild this trade deadline, was told not having any of that. Hahn is tied at the hands with what he can do.

First off, we really don't know for sure what the actual facts are. Trading Samardzija, might have been his idea, but I'm kind of excited about Burdi. Rebuilding can still be done in the offseason this year. If his hands have been tied since the get go, there is no reason a person with any pride would continue the way he has.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 16, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
What is out there that would indicate KW and JR are stooges and RH is not? He's been part of the operation and decision making process for more than a few years.

I would argue that Rick Hahn is more of a modern baseball thinker with an eye towards analytics and I'd like to see him get a chance to run Baseball OPS on his own. I could be wrong about my thoughts on that though. I have no idea who is in charge, who makes what decisions, what's true, and what isn't true. I just know that my favorite baseball team is a mess and there doesn't appear to be a clear way to get out of it.