August 17th Game Thread: ChiSox at Cleveland

Anthony Ranaudo (1-1, 8.71) vs. Carlos Carrasco (8-6, 3.21)

Anthony had a good start the last time he pitched for the Sox, allowing NO HITS for the first 5 innings against the Cubs. Tonite we need our guys to STEP UP and to end Cleveland's 7 game winning streak against us.

August 17, 2016

Chicago White Sox at Cleveland Indians

Stadium: Progressive Field

Announcers: Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone (television), Ed Farmer and Darren Jackson (radio)

Game telecast time: 6:00 PM Central Daylight Time / 7:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time *

7 over-the-air TV stations:

Chicago WPWR-TV Gary, Channel 50 (my network TV)

South Bend WMYS-LD, Channel 69 (my network TV) *

Indianapolis WNDY-TV Marion, IN, Channel 23 (my network TV) *

Peoria / Bloomington, IL WAOE Peoria, Channel 59 (my network TV)

Rockford WIFR Freeport, Channel 23-3 (Justice Network)

Quad Cities WQAD-TV Moline, Channel 8-3 (my network TV)

Cedar Rapids / Waterloo / Iowa City KCRG-TV Cedar Rapids, Channel 9-2 (my network TV)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 33m33 minutes ago

#WhiteSox for 8/17: Eaton 9, Saladino 4, Cabrera 7, Abreu 3, Morneau DH, Frazier 5, Shuck 8, Anderson 6, Navarro 2. Ranaudo 1.

1 retweet 0 likes

Looking at this lineup, I think that if the Spx are going all in again next year, they NEED to upgrade at catcher and obviously offense...I think Wilson Ramos of the Nationals should be their biggest free agent target as he provides an excellent upgrade with both of those, and I also hope Morneau is resigned (if they don't get Encarnacion or Trumbo which likely will not happen). That's my wish list, Ramos and Morneau.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 17, 2016 -> 11:37 PM)
Looking at this lineup, I think that if the Spx are going all in again next year, they NEED to upgrade at catcher and obviously offense...I think Wilson Ramos of the Nationals should be their biggest free agent target as he provides an excellent upgrade with both of those, and I also hope Morneau is resigned (if they don't get Encarnacion or Trumbo which likely will not happen). That's my wish list, Ramos and Morneau.

Need a hell of a lot more than just upgrades there. CF is a gigantic hole going forward.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 17, 2016 -> 04:37 PM)

You seriously think we are 1 player away? It's going to take Ramos, Cespedes, Morneau and even then it's not a guarantee we take the division.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)
Isn't it amazing he didn't pull a homer all year in AAA

It jumps off his bat the other way as well. The first time I saw him live I was sitting on the club level first base side and he hit a foul ball into the RF corner that wasn't a line drive and got out there what seemed to me to be incredibly quick. I dismissed it in my mind thinking I have never really heard Anderson and power mentioned together. But he has a lot. Obviously, he needs some polishing, but he is potentially a really big offensive threat.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 17, 2016 -> 07:43 PM)
You seriously think we are 1 player away? It's going to take Ramos, Cespedes, Morneau and even then it's not a guarantee we take the division.

Nope, I think they need a lot more, but seeing what they did last offseason, I don't think they will be making huge splashes, so I think my wishlist of Ramos and Morneau is reasonable enough for them to at least make it interesting next year. A lineup of Eaton, Ramos, Cabrera, Abreu, Morneau, Frazier, Lawrie, (centerfielder...Gomez?), and Anderson is a good lineup, when these players are all healthy. Just think what this lineup could do if Frazier and Abreu both bounce back? And it IS possible for that to happen. Every team has holes in their roster, and if the Sox do sign Ramos and Morneau, having just 1 hole in center (or right, depending on where they put Eaton), would be fine by me. And sorry, while Cespedes would obviously be nice, I doubt he is going to want to come to this team.

I think if they upgrade at those 2 positions with the players I mentioned, as well as fixing up the bullpen a bit (by releasing Albers and gaining back Putnam and Petricka, hopefully they will perform like they did before injuries, and adding maybe 1 or 2 arms), I think they have a strong shot at winning a wild-card spot at least. I know, I'm delusional, but that's my thoughts. Their bench is solid when their core is healthy, with Saladino, Shuck, a backup catcher and another back-up outfielder/infielder. We all know how good the starting pitching is.

Btw I LOVE the way Morneau hits. He scores runs and gives this team so many chances. He just took that outside change up from Carrasco and went with it the other way, getting a double and putting Abreu at 3rd. Our former DHs would have struck out trying to pull it, and there as I type this our run-producer in Todd Frazier (who should be producing more than he has), gets them in. THAT is how the game is supposed to be played offensively.

Edited by Scoots