In the News

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

Jerry Manuel expressed his disappointment in Jon Garland, said he expected more out of him this year. He also indicated that Garland will not start again this year.

Frank Thomas said his decision to exercise his option for next year will be based largely on what moves the Sox make in the offseason, according to the Daily Southtown. Thomas said he would like to sit down with KW and at least get some indication where the team is headed. If Thomas finds out the front office intends to cut payroll, making 2004 a rebuilding year, he may seek to go elsewhere, the paper said.

Jose Valentin said "Hopefully we can stick with the same group of guys and come out of spring training ready to play hard from the start."

WELL THAT WOULD BE A NOVEL APPROACH AROUND HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that's this mornings news. Have a nice day.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How ironic that Jose says he hopes this team stays together when he ain't gonna be with this ballclub next year in all likelihood. And don't make Jon Garland the scapegoat for our lousy finish to the season either JM. Maybe if we actually brought some offence to the Twinkie series we could still be in this race.

How ironic that Jose says he hopes this team stays together when he ain't gonna be with this ballclub next year in all likelihood. And don't make Jon Garland the scapegoat for our lousy finish to the season either JM. Maybe if we actually brought some offence to the Twinkie series we could still be in this race.

Why wont JM give Garland another start this year? He had been pitching great and everything fell down when JM didnt start Garland on the first game against the Twins. JM showed he has no confidence in JG and that is not right!

How can you expect the Sox to hit in the Metrodrome with THAT hitting background?

Jerry Manuel expressed his disappointment in Jon Garland, said he expected more out of him this year. He also indicated that Garland will not start again this year.

Frank Thomas said his decision to exercise his option for next year will be based largely on what moves the Sox make in the offseason, according to the Daily Southtown. Thomas said he would like to sit down with KW and at least get some indication where the team is headed. If Thomas finds out the front office intends to cut payroll, making 2004 a rebuilding year, he may seek to go elsewhere, the paper said.

Jose Valentin said "Hopefully we can stick with the same group of guys and come out of spring training ready to play hard from the start."

WELL THAT WOULD BE A NOVEL APPROACH AROUND HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that's this mornings news. Have a nice day.

He said all that, did he?

Guess he finally figured out we ain't going to make the play offs.

I could have told him that, but he never asked. :nono

I'm so goddamn sick and tired of Manuel and his BS. I guess the few starts JG had where he was owning and JM took him out in the 7th inning is because that's all JM expected out of JG. Kind of like all JM expects to do is win series not sweep them.

:fyou Manuel. Go jump off of a goddamn cliff.

Singling out one pitcher, when the pitching saved our asses all year, is ignorant.

Manuel's an ignorant manager who still, after 155 games, doesn't get what he is or was supposed to do. Ignorance is bliss with JM I guess.

I guess that begs the question, who's gonna start in JG's spot? Schoeneweis? Adkins? Additionally, who's gonna want to get lit up in their start for a team of quitters?

Why wont JM give Garland another start this year?

I'd expect to see Adkins get a start, so they can get a look at him.

He's on GARLAND? What about the rest of this piss pour team?

Maybe that is the only guy he was being asked about? If you are talking to a reporter and he asks you what you thought about Garland's effort yesterday, you don't immediately break into a song and dance taking shots at everyone else on the team. You answer the question.

Garland has never quit been as dominant as the Sox hoped he would be. It's obvious he and Manuel have clashed all season about pitch counts and stuff. Factor in the comments from Rick White and others and you have to wonder if a bunch of pitchers will be happy to see Manuel go.

Remember: Manuel is the guy who wanted Nardi Contreras as his pitching coach. Coop was forced on him.

And now Garland is heading into arbritation. Be interesting to see how much he gets (if the Sox don't offer him a deal). And if he gets too much, I wonder if the Sox will ship him out.

A week from today, we won't be able to discuss the playoffs, but a very interesting off-season should be underway.

Manuel has it in for Garland, and I don't think anyone has a clue why.  Maybe cuz Garland is the only guy on the team that will actually listen to Manuel.

Yes, Wasnt it about a month ago when JM called out Jon Garland and said that he had to step up and start pitching to "win" as he put it...this was following a 2-1 loss to detroit I believe. JM forgets that EACH and EVERY time Jon G left the game in the 6th and 7th innings with a runner on first after JM decides to pull him and start his bullpen tinkering those inherited runners SCORED EVERY TIME!

Also JM pulled the ol "switcheroo" with Esty and JG last week against the Twinkies moving up the Sick "too drinky" esty loaiza and moving JG back a day to give him even longer between starts...That REALLY turned out great! Loaiza sucked and then Garland didnt look sharp at all after 6 days of rest.

Jon G wasnt gettin help from the bullpen, the hitters or the coaching staff!

The Best thing for Jonny G is to see Manuel out of there!

It's funny, everyone is defending Garland now.  Most of the time, everyone wanted his head.

I guess it is a case of who do you dislike the least.....

Well I will say this much. The stupid mistake he made in the first inning where he was standing on the mound watching instead of backing up home plate really pissed me off. That is crap they teach you in T-ball. Other than that, I don't see the equity in benching Jon over all of the other people who have just mailed it in. Why not Carlos, Konerko, and or Crede who went 1-29 against the Royals last series? Why not Thomas who went 1-12 in MN, and then complained to the media about it? Why not Olivo who hasn't hit anything since June or so?

It's funny, everyone is defending Garland now.  Most of the time, everyone wanted his head.

Well I will say this much. The stupid mistake he made in the first inning where he was standing on the mound watching instead of backing up home plate really pissed me off. That is crap they teach you in T-ball. Other than that, I don't see the equity in benching Jon over all of the other people who have just mailed it in. Why not Carlos, Konerko, and or Crede who went 1-29 against the Royals last series? Why not Thomas who went 1-12 in MN, and then complained to the media about it? Why not Olivo who hasn't hit anything since June or so?

Because they aren't pitchers??

Because they aren't pitchers??

I just hate to see one player get singled out, when there is plenty of blame to go around...

I dont like Jon, but he has become the scapegoat for our failures. Jon dominated in quite a few of his starts and except for that KC disaster yesterday, hes done well down the stretch. Loaiza, in my opinion, is a better scapegoat...

We wouldn't have even been in contention, in order to fail if it wasn't for Loiaza. :bang

I would right now rather be a Tigers fan. They lost, they knew they were going to lose and they get a high draft pick. We were expected to win, but were going to lose, were going to win 84 games and get a mediocre draft pick. Loaiza failed us when we needed him. Without him, wed probably have been gone a long time ago and that woulda been easier than going out now...

Somebody has to back Jon Garland!! Why not US? :huh:

Because collectively "US" have been bashing him and questioning his manhood, so to speak.

I just hate to see one player get singled out, when there is plenty of blame to go around...

Who says he is getting singled out? The article was about one guy and JM answered when questioned. No where in the article did I read that Manuel was pinning the team's problems all on Garland. No where did I get the impression the reported asked JM who was to blame for the season and JM singled out Garland.

It was one article. I think you guys are reading way too much into this.

Who says he is getting singled out?  The article was about one guy and JM answered when questioned.  No where in the article did I read that Manuel was pinning the team's problems all on Garland.  No where did I get the impression the reported asked JM who was to blame for the season and JM singled out Garland.

It was one article.  I think you guys are reading way too much into this.

I agree it is only one article...but this isnt the first time Jon Garland has been called out by JM. And its not only the articles but the way he has been treated by Manuel the entire season.