In the News

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

I'm not sure how Roman can sit and blame the late season failures on Loz....The guy has pitched ALOT of innings by todays baseball standards, and every pitcher goes through what he is. Speaking of failures when it counts, lets name "Frank Thomas" The Big Skirt completely disappeared when it counted. Thanks alot, "MVP"

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how Roman can sit and blame the late season failures on Loz....The guy has pitched ALOT of innings by todays baseball standards, and every pitcher goes through what he is. Speaking of failures when it counts, lets name "Frank Thomas" The Big Skirt completely disappeared when it counted. Thanks alot, "MVP"

You can also add Ordonez to that list of guys who failed when it counted most. When your two "superstars" come up empty in the biggest series of the season its hard to put the blame on a guy who carried us in the first half of the season.

You can also add Ordonez to that list of guys who failed when it counted most.  When your two "superstars" come up empty in the biggest series of the season its hard to put the blame on a guy who carried us in the first half of the season.

Who blamed Carlos Lee? Frank had a hot month to 6 weeks, and was sporatic otherwise, just like this whole team. Lee was probably the most consistant play to step up and get hits when we needed them.

Who blamed Carlos Lee?  Frank had a hot month to 6 weeks, and was sporatic otherwise, just like this whole team.  Lee was probably the most consistant play to step up and get hits when we needed them.

No one blamed Carlos Lee that I know of. I was talking about Frank and Magglio are two big money "MVP" candidates.

You naming Thomas just cuz you know itll piss me off? Whatever dude. I dont know how or why everyone here loves Loaiza, a mediocre player who finally busts out only to fail when it counts, but so many can hate Frank, a legend whos carried this offense for over a decade. Frank still has 100 RBIs and 41 homeruns! Hes better than Loaiza and he always will be...

Is there a post blaming this on the fact that Loiaza and Garland had both pitched on three days rest?  Why they did this I am not sure.  Am I mistaken?  I get the feeling Garland is being shut down because there is nothing more to prove this season for him.

Neither Garland or Loaiza pitched on 3 days rest. Loaiza pitched on 4 and Garland pitched on 6 days rest.

I'm naming Thomas because he and Bret Boone are 2 of the best "garbage HR hitters" around. You know, padding those personal stats, having blatant disregard for doing what the team needs at the time. Frank is the reason I started following this team 14 years ago, but that doesn't mean I have to love everything about him regardless of his flaws. The guy flat out sucked when we needed him the most in Minny, so did Maggs, but at least Maggs has been known to play small ball, hit it on the right side with a runner on, etc. Frank, well he's playing smallball if you consider the endless popups to the 2nd and 1st baseman productive outs. Loz got it done early season when Colon and Buehrle were struggling, and for that, yeah...I'll cut him alot of slack. He kept us around this race so that we could have a chance to play corpseball this last 2 weeks. To try and put this teams failures last week solely on the shoulders of Loz is IMO completely asinine.

Neither Garland or Loaiza pitched on 3 days rest.  Loaiza pitched on 4 and Garland pitched on 6 days rest.

I think you're wrong. Didn't Loiaza start Tuesday, the 16th? So, wed, thurs, friday, then he started Saturday. That's 3 days rest. Garland went the 17th, so Sunday was 3 days rest too.

I think you're wrong. Didn't Loiaza start Tuesday, the 16th? So, wed, thurs, friday, then he started Saturday. That's 3 days rest. Garland went the 17th, so Sunday was 3 days rest too.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to their starts against Minnesota because thats what a lot of this post was about. Yes, you are right both Loaiza and Garland started on three days rest against the Royals.

I'm naming Thomas because he and Bret Boone are 2 of the best "garbage HR hitters" around. You know, padding those personal stats, having blatant disregard for doing what the team needs at the time. Frank is the reason I started following this team 14 years ago, but that doesn't mean I have to love everything about him regardless of his flaws. The guy flat out sucked when we needed him the most in Minny, so did Maggs, but at least Maggs has been known to play small ball, hit it on the right side with a runner on, etc. Frank, well he's playing smallball if you consider the endless popups to the 2nd and 1st baseman productive outs. Loz got it done early season when Colon and Buehrle were struggling, and for that, yeah...I'll cut him alot of slack. He kept us around this race so that we could have a chance to play corpseball this last 2 weeks. To try and put this teams failures last week solely on the shoulders of Loz is IMO completely asinine.

Frank is not a "garbage" homerun hitter. So, so many of Frank's came in big situations. Granted, he missed alot of big chances, but he came through quite alot. I just don't know how you can argue with a guy who did hit over 40, drove in over 100, and is about to walk 100 times. I know his batting average is piss poor, but he's hit alot of big homeruns.

My problem with it is that it is all he is trying to do now. He says himself that he wants to win in Chicago. Well, when you are in a close game, and theres a runner on base......just once, I'd like to see him do whats best for the team, try to move the runner over, instead of trying to get 2 runs on 1 swing. In the past before 2003, Frank was really good at putting the ball on the right side of the field, moving the runners over. I get really frustrated when a player like Frank comes out and says he wants to win it all in Chicago, but when those moments come to be the team player, he is just a selfish oaf.

Frank is not a "garbage" homerun hitter. So, so many of Frank's came in big situations.  Granted, he missed alot of big chances, but he came through quite alot. I just don't know how you can argue with a guy who did hit over 40, drove in over 100, and is about to walk 100 times.  I know his batting average is piss poor, but he's hit alot of big homeruns.

Personally, I think Thomas had a fine year until September. I just have a problem with roman blaming Loaiza while not placing any blame on Thomas for the collapse even though it was Loaiza who kept us in striking distance in the first half.

My problem with it is that it is all he is trying to do now. He says himself that he wants to win in Chicago. Well, when you are in a close game, and theres a runner on base......just once, I'd like to see him do whats best for the team, try to move the runner over, instead of trying to get 2 runs on 1 swing. In the past before 2003, Frank was really good at putting the ball on the right side of the field, moving the runners over. I get really frustrated when a player like Frank comes out and says he wants to win it all in Chicago, but when those moments come to be the team player, he is just a selfish oaf.

You're right about that, but that is not the definition of garbage hitter.

Frank is not a "garbage" homerun hitter. So, so many of Frank's came in big situations.  Granted, he missed alot of big chances, but he came through quite alot. I just don't know how you can argue with a guy who did hit over 40, drove in over 100, and is about to walk 100 times.  I know his batting average is piss poor, but he's hit alot of big homeruns.

He hit two or three gamewinning homeruns this year, come to think of it...

Bulls***. f*** that Loaiza maggot, he aint our MVP. Franks the MVP of this team and he has been for the last decade and three years...

Past performance does not project present success. Sorry, a 259-262 average blows, no matter how many HRs he hits when he K's 120 times, and can't do whats needed in a close game situation

A big part of the Frank Thomas analysis has to be his home-road splits. On the road last year: .240, 4 HRs. This year: .242, 12 HRs. MVPs hit on the road.

MVP from 1991 through 2000, except for 1998 (Belle) and 2001 (injured). But last year no, and this year it's arguable.