Illinois High School Football Thread

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Thank u. I actually watched the first 2 1/2 quarters on BR TV. My comments: Wow. I did not know we got two transfers in the running back from Marian Catholic (sorry I don't know names don't mean to offend) and the tall receiver I think they said was from St. Rita or somewhere. Or maybe another RB was from Rita. My observations: Can't tell much cause poor Phillips had nothing BUT Rice looked bigger than past years to me which is a good sign and also the QB (is he only a junior?) played a much better game than anybody I've seen at Rice in a long time. The early play where he rolled out and found the tall receiver for a score (called back for penalty) was pretty special. No. 9 on defense resembles some of the stud defenders Rice seems to have every year. That kid took the ball from the Phillips QB and scored I think. Hearing that we got all these transfers makes me feel good that we might be able to play with the big boys.

I have to reserve all judgments because of the competition, but I thought the boys played great albeit against a miserable team. The offensive line seemed good to me and the defense was outstanding all around.

What did u think of the game 2023? Is that Marian Catholic RB the real deal or not? Seemed like the QB has good vision and has a lot of tools for a h.s. QB. Congrats to Q and the players. Running clock in second half musta got u out of stadium earlier than normal.

Jimmie Maxson is the 6’4” WR and St. Rita transfer.  Tyler Lofton is the big RB transfer from Marian Catholic.  They both look legit so far.  Unfortunately, they are both seniors so they will be one and done.  #9 is LB Charlie Barkmeier and he is pretty good.

CJ Gray is the QB and he is a junior.  He has gotten so much better throwing the ball since he was a freshman.  He used to mostly run but now he is gunning it around.  Here is a video of the throw you are referring to:

https://streamable.com/3q06o5

It was such a blowout that BR benched their starters after the first half and the refs invoked the 35-point rule and ran the fast clock in the second half, which was great.

Here’s the recap…

https://www.shawlocal.com/friday-night-drive/2024/08/31/brother-rice-football-cruises-past-phillips-50-0-in-season-opener/

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Thanks 2023. How was the crowd? I saw Phillips stands were about half full or more than that. Not bad. What about your side of the field? Were the people having fun? Glad your kid is 1-0.

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Thanks 2023. How was the crowd? I saw Phillips stands were about half full or more than that. Not bad. What about your side of the field? Were the people having fun? Glad your kid is 1-0.

The BR bleachers were packed in the first half.  After the first half blowout and a little drizzle in the second half, a lot of people left.

Sounds like a thriller vs. Marist. Rice falls in OT. Aside from it being a great game 2023, what else can you say? Who had a good game? What do you think of the team's potential? I didn't watch it as I didn't want to pay 18 bucks for streaming.

11 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I didn't see anything but the last play but what a terrible 4th down play call.

I can see why coaches do that when they have a good running back, but I'd always roll out if I was gonna run on the final play of the OT. Not sure why many times they just run it up the gut. Oh well. Sounds like a thriller. Rice's schedule is too tough by the way.

I see Rita beat Rice 14-7. Surprisingly low scoring. Hopefully BR can stay with it and peak later. They could easily be 3-0. They might have to upset somebody though to make the playoffs. Any updates on the team? Is it still healthy? 

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

I see Rita beat Rice 14-7. Surprisingly low scoring. Hopefully BR can stay with it and peak later. They could easily be 3-0. They might have to upset somebody though to make the playoffs. Any updates on the team? Is it still healthy? 

No, BR is hurting.  Unfortunately my son tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee.  He didn’t even know and played an entire half on it.  He just had surgery and will be out for the entire season.  Will be healthy for senior year.

Also, the starting LG, QwaMaine Spivery just sprained his knee so he is missing time.

Without these two big boy starting guards on their OL, the QB CJ Gray doesn’t have time to throw, can’t scramble as much, and the running game is struggling.  They are looking like the Bears on offense last year with their OL.

BR was in both of the last two games until the very end, but I truly think these injuries to their OL were the difference.  They win both games with a healthy OL.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No, BR is hurting.  Unfortunately my son tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee.  He didn’t even know and played an entire half on it.  He just had surgery and will be out for the entire season.  Will be healthy for senior year.

Also, the starting LG, QwaMaine Spivery just sprained his knee so he is missing time.

Without these two big boy starting guards on their OL, the QB CJ Gray doesn’t have time to throw, can’t scramble as much, and the running game is struggling.  They are looking like the Bears on offense last year with their OL.

BR was in both of the last two games until the very end, but I truly think these injuries to their OL were the difference.  They win both games with a healthy OL.

Man sorry about your son’s injury. Hopefully he heals up strong 💪

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sorry about your son's injury. My friend's son in Kansas is a lineman who had surgery and he's not quite ready to play after a full year. ... As far as Rice, these injuries do suggest this might be in for a rare horrific year in terms of record. If Carmel or Loyola truly rout us in the 45-0 range, the kids might not be able to recover from that. With this schedule, even a healthy team couldn't expect to go better than one over .500. Sorry again your son got hurt. 

Edited by greg775