Illinois High School Football Thread

6 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

So Carmel isn’t what they used to be, huh?

Serious question, not a jab at BR.

To be fair their starting QB was out with injury, illness or something. I conveniently left that out, lol. Carmel looked like they had good pieces, it was one of those games that just went Rice's way despite a few crucial ref calls that went against BR.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I heard the fix was in for Carmel too and rice still prevailed.

Yes, some crucial flags against the Crusaders. Carmel should have gone for two points after scoring with less than a minute to go. They'd have scored two IMO and won the game. Instead they kicked the extra point. In the final game tying drive by MC, Rice got hit with some questionable flags for MC to tie it up.

Rice has an excellent receiver in Maxson and didn't throw to him 'that' much. Great h.s. game though. I still can't believe Rice scored on a winning field goal, taking just 40 seconds to get in field goal range. Normally doesn't happen against a team like MC. Not sure why Carmel played an out of state school in its opener, losing. Kind of showed the world they indeed can lose on a given night. They rattled off four wins in a row after that though. MC is 4-2. Rice 3-3 now. The Rice kids could have a letdown vs notre dame next week. Hopefully not. Give 'em two days off coach and get after it. No matter what it's nice to beat one of the big three of MC, Loyola and Rita.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

To be fair their starting QB was out with injury, illness or something. I conveniently left that out, lol. Carmel looked like they had good pieces, it was one of those games that just went Rice's way despite a few crucial ref calls that went against BR.

BR is likely undefeated right now without the two big injuries to their OL — their two starting guards.  Two big boys they are missing which is killing their run game.  Their backup OL kids are much smaller than their starters and can’t push the opposing D lines at all.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Jack Elliot is out with a shoulder injury from last week.  Here’s the game recap…

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/10/04/cj-gray-brady-gomez-brother-rice-mount-carmel-football/