Illinois High School Football Thread

6 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

So Carmel isn’t what they used to be, huh?

Serious question, not a jab at BR.

To be fair their starting QB was out with injury, illness or something. I conveniently left that out, lol. Carmel looked like they had good pieces, it was one of those games that just went Rice's way despite a few crucial ref calls that went against BR.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I heard the fix was in for Carmel too and rice still prevailed.

Yes, some crucial flags against the Crusaders. Carmel should have gone for two points after scoring with less than a minute to go. They'd have scored two IMO and won the game. Instead they kicked the extra point. In the final game tying drive by MC, Rice got hit with some questionable flags for MC to tie it up.

Rice has an excellent receiver in Maxson and didn't throw to him 'that' much. Great h.s. game though. I still can't believe Rice scored on a winning field goal, taking just 40 seconds to get in field goal range. Normally doesn't happen against a team like MC. Not sure why Carmel played an out of state school in its opener, losing. Kind of showed the world they indeed can lose on a given night. They rattled off four wins in a row after that though. MC is 4-2. Rice 3-3 now. The Rice kids could have a letdown vs notre dame next week. Hopefully not. Give 'em two days off coach and get after it. No matter what it's nice to beat one of the big three of MC, Loyola and Rita.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

To be fair their starting QB was out with injury, illness or something. I conveniently left that out, lol. Carmel looked like they had good pieces, it was one of those games that just went Rice's way despite a few crucial ref calls that went against BR.

BR is likely undefeated right now without the two big injuries to their OL — their two starting guards.  Two big boys they are missing which is killing their run game.  Their backup OL kids are much smaller than their starters and can’t push the opposing D lines at all.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Jack Elliot is out with a shoulder injury from last week.  Here’s the game recap…

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/10/04/cj-gray-brady-gomez-brother-rice-mount-carmel-football/

Notre Dame overmatched by this BR team.  DB Conner Stack is the player of the game.

35-7 Crusaders with 7:19 left in the game.

4-3 now.  They should beat both St. Laurence and St. Ignatious on the road to finish 6-3.  I truly think they are undefeated without the injuries to their two starting guards.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 9:08 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Notre Dame overmatched by this BR team.  DB Conner Stack is the player of the game.

4-3 now.  They should beat both St. Laurence and St. Ignatious on the road to finish 6-3.  I truly think they are undefeated without the injuries to their two starting guards.

I watched the ND game. Nice win and use of the star wide receiver. Is Stack a junior? I see he played some QB at the end. Rice has some hard hitters on defense. Can we beat St. Laurence? They seem to rack up a lotta wins this year.

On 10/11/2024 at 9:08 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

White Sox2023: We beat St. Laurence handily. Sounds like another good game. Laurence is a smaller division I believe but still we whomped a good team. Is Rice emerging as one of our top teams in the last several years even dating to the previous coach Badke's teams? What is your take on what's going to happen and please summarize the win against St. Larry for me. Thank u. ... Will we make the playoffs and host?

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

White Sox2023: We beat St. Laurence handily. Sounds like another good game. Laurence is a smaller division I believe but still we whomped a good team. Is Rice emerging as one of our top teams in the last several years even dating to the previous coach Badke's teams? What is your take on what's going to happen and please summarize the win against St. Larry for me. Thank u. ... Will we make the playoffs and host?

They look amazing against the lesser teams, but their three losses against better teams (Marist, St. Rita, Loyola) were only by one score.  They should beat St. Ignatius on Friday night and then anything can happen.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

They look amazing against the lesser teams, but their three losses against better teams (Marist, St. Rita, Loyola) were only by one score.  They should beat St. Ignatius on Friday night and then anything can happen.

I will say this about them but you would know better being in the program for a few years.  They are very young.  The seniors they count on are mostly area couple transfers except for the MLB.  Without the transfers they are not as good this year but they will be better moving forward.  The three losses were against good teams and they know they should have played better.  They caught some breaks on schedule and other teams injuries. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Are we really 5-3 with a chance to go 6-3? I thought we were 4-3. This team is resilient. If either of you are into Rice history please educate me on enrollment numbers. I coulda sworn when I went there we had 2000 guys hence my inability to make the baseball or basketball team. Do you know the high water enrollment mark in its history and what it is today? Is the pool the same as it was decades ago? And the gym? No improvements, etc. Amazing how buildings last.

Edited by greg775

17 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

IMG_4843.jpeg

LWE may have to travel to Loyola in week 2 of playoffs.  Greg in those standings BR should be above Fenwick and Joliet Catholic.  MC is 4-1 v top 15 teams and in the 4 wins they were not close.  Libertyville and Downers Grove North should both be ranked as should Naperville Central.  Way too many smaller catholic schools.   

Greg Brother Rice is building a new baseball complex and had some nice things renovated when I was last there.   Still a lot of work to do but they seem to be making improvements.  For about 25 years they did nothing to improve the look.

Enrollment is around 700 which for a single gender catholic school is great.  I don't mean to sound like a dick but even at that number you would not make the team.  I had 2000 kids as well.  150 tried out for baseball.  Cliff Petrak told me to not come back for third base or OF tryouts after seeing me try out for first. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

LWE may have to travel to Loyola in week 2 of playoffs.  Greg in those standings BR should be above Fenwick and Joliet Catholic.  MC is 4-1 v top 15 teams and in the 4 wins they were not close.  Libertyville and Downers Grove North should both be ranked as should Naperville Central.  Way too many smaller catholic schools.   

Greg Brother Rice is building a new baseball complex and had some nice things renovated when I was last there.   Still a lot of work to do but they seem to be making improvements.  For about 25 years they did nothing to improve the look.

Enrollment is around 700 which for a single gender catholic school is great.  I don't mean to sound like a dick but even at that number you would not make the team.  I had 2000 kids as well.  150 tried out for baseball.  Cliff Petrak told me to not come back for third base or OF tryouts after seeing me try out for first. 

Thanks for the facts. That's awesome 700 for a single gender Catholic schools is a healthy total. Yeah you are right about not making baseball/basketball even if we only had 700 at the time. If I'd have gone to school in Kansas I'd have played baseball and basketball four years. Kind of sad since I loved sports so much to have to only play intramurals. ... Yeah Petrak was coach when I was there. I went on the day 3B tryouts were held. I didn't make one error on the grounders, made all the throws, however I fouled off too many pitches. he told the pitchers to throw all fastballs but the guy broke off a few curves and I got cut. He didn't tell us personally then I saw my name not on the sheet. ... Some older guy was basketball coach and held tryouts in gym class. It was one of those days the ball didn't come my way and I got cut. Only one kid from our city champion 8th grade Q of M team made the freshman team. And he went to the coach and told him he wanted a personal tryout as he was the best player on a city title team. Good for him. He made it. Yet he transferred to Naperville his junior year as his mom didn't like something about BR. I forget what it was. Funny thing is a kid who didn't even make our Q of M team went out for basketball at Rice and started his senior year ... I should donate some dough to Rice. I will some day.

Edited by greg775