Dioner Navarro traded to Blue Jays

Kyyle23

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
Wow. This thread is horrible. Let's get back on track and let the petty stuff go.

Navarro sucked(sucks) and is no longer on the roster. That's a plus by itself. The return, that we shouldn't have even expected, throws with his left hand and has some decent numbers. No one's claiming he's Sandy Koufax but he's more interesting than a 28 year old org player. I'll call it a win for the Sox.

this...and thank you for being the voice of reality raBBit...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Results like these make pessimism the new pragmatism, because they reinforce the theme that Hahn and Kenny Williams would be better off doing nothing instead of trying to improve the team (Flowers and Soto have a 5.3 FRAA between them in 2016, even with injuries). When these are the conditions, it’s easy to be apprehensive about another offseason regardless of the direction. For instance, Hahn said the team’s course would be clear by their "first or second transaction," but based on recent history, that may already be two moves too many.

Vicious

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
The fact is Jones does not get lit up a lot like you claimed. He apparently is pretty deceptive since major league hitters strike out a lot vs. his offerings, and they don't square much up. Wrong again Caulfield. Try another sport. You don't understand anything about this one. And if anything, you are getting more ridiculous by the day.

I'll back Caulfield on this one. Jones is one of our best relievers but he's far from reliable. I can't see him consistently nailing down saves with his funky delivery.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
I'll make sure to save this because Nate Jones won't last one full season as a closer with the White Sox.

It really doesn't make sense to have three closers (in your idea) in Robertson, Jones and Burdi on a sub .500 team and not trade at least one of them for a position player or payroll relief or both.

I don't think he'd last a full season as closer either. Out of all our relievers he's best option for the 8th though.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
Nate Jones is fine as the Sox set up man leading to the closer, whoever that may be. We will see and have already been seeing possible bullpen arms for next year

Not a bad post.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
The White Sox are so thin in the lefty reliever department that anyone bring in is a plus.

Our lefty relievers do stink, though Jennings passes the eye test. I don't know what the advanced stats say. As it stands, if our starters could go seven, Jones/Jennings in theory ought to be able to get us through the eighth. Modern baseball has really hurt the White Sox. Our starters don't go seven innings that often leaving us ill equipped to cover three innings.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
I'll back Caulfield on this one. Jones is one of our best relievers but he's far from reliable. I can't see him consistently nailing down saves with his funky delivery.

What does a funky delivery have to do with saves? Chris Sale had no trouble notching saves before his days of being a starter...

Edited by Jose Abreu

Potential 2017 bullpen: Putnam, Petricka, Jones, Jennings, Burdi, Robertson, Ynoa? This is a solid pen when healthy, there are a lot of ifs, such as can Burdi succeed in the majors, health, Robertson putting it back together. I'd rather have Ynoa than Albers.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
Potential 2017 bullpen: Putnam, Petricka, Jones, Jennings, Burdi, Robertson, Ynoa? This is a solid pen when healthy, there are a lot of ifs, such as can Burdi succeed in the majors, health, Robertson putting it back together. I'd rather have Ynoa than Albers.

I doubt they bring back Albers so we should be fine there. Minor league deal at best for depth. That pen definitely needs another lefty and long reliever though. Could see one of Putnam or Petricka moved.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)

Brad Goldberg and Brian Clark are young possibilities for pen as well

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
I doubt they bring back Albers so we should be fine there. Minor league deal at best for depth. That pen definitely needs another lefty and long reliever though. Could see one of Putnam or Petricka moved.

I agree that it needs a long reliever, but not necessarily another lefty. If you have good right handed pitchers, they should be able to get both out consistently. I'm of the speculation that lefties vs. lefties or righties vs. righties don't matter as much, and in fact I think they can often distract from the real holes that need to be filled.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Brad Goldberg and Brian Clark are young possibilities for pen as well

I'd like to see those guys up and Ynoa and Beck and Kahnle get high leverage work the last month. Let's see who among them can pitch (or can't pitch).

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)

Need to see if a few of those guys can be upgraded...all depends on who is out there and if the Sox are "going for it" again in 2017.

Mark

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
Nate Jones is very good. I don't really understand when people don't like him. 2.34 ERA, 3.08 FIP, 9 K/9 is down a bit but he has a WHIP of 0.93. Jones is a stud.

What is a stud?? Jones is a very good set-up man. He struggled as the closer but that was really a few years back. I think he is very valuable and a key guy in the pen as we learned last year when he was out. Stud..................that is kinda exaggerating his value.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)
What is a stud?? Jones is a very good set-up man. He struggled as the closer but that was really a few years back. I think he is very valuable and a key guy in the pen as we learned last year when he was out. Stud..................that is kinda exaggerating his value.

Didn't he only close for like 2 games before getting hurt for the year? Or am I remembering incorrectly.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)
Didn't he only close for like 2 games before getting hurt for the year? Or am I remembering incorrectly.

He's never been given a chance to be closer. He has not entered a game in the 9th inning or later in a save situation even one time in his career.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 08:14 AM)

He was the expected 2014 closer but hurt his back in spring training (or prior to it), and was out for year.

This thread waddled into non-stop personal attacks, etc. I'm closing it to close out some of the ridiculous comments that have been within. New thread will be opened where people can talk about the prospect we acquired while being mindful of the rules.