The Anthem

greg775

Do you support what Colin did?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Kaepernick's decision to sit?

• Yes. Great way to express himself
    • No. What was he thinking?

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:16 AM)
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Clinton appointee, is a conservative SCOTUS justice? Was this meant to be sarcasm? I believe she's widely acknowledged to be one of the most liberal justices on the court.

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 02:57 PM)
A few days later, Dabo Swinney apologized to his team for his comments, for being a distraction and possibly breaking up team unity.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/clemson-lb-da...-201439371.html

I didn't see that. When I have time I'll watch it. I assume he's mad at himself for doing the same thing the kneeling during the anthem does, take away from the team aspect of football. Like he said you don't want one person out on an island in a team sport. What Dabo did say in his first clip was instead of kneeling why not discuss it in a set-up press conference format, a town hall type meeting?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 03:40 PM)
Some people just refuse to open their ears and listen instead of being just told what to think.

Your uncle is being told what to think?? Why? Cause he disagrees with you? Don't really understand that line. Whether Kap likes it or not millions of people do think kneeling during the anthem is disrespecting the military. So yes he disagrees with you.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 05:51 PM)
Being a silent c**n and learning his place.

Come on now man, it's obvious.

Damn. I'd give you some time off for that. Too many things wrong with that post. I think an athlete can protest all he wants away from the stadium or by holding a news conference with several other players or town meeting just to discuss issues. It's the consummate team sport. Why have a QB draw all this attention to himself on game day on a matter that has nothing to do with football? And in the process he picks a forum that offends military. Real smart when the NFL is so tied into pre-game activities that involve the military: flyovers, rolling out of the flag on the field, etc. I was talking to a guy who said he flat out stopped watching NFL over all this. Said you disrespect the military, that's it for him and that sport. Interesting.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 05:43 PM)
What is an acceptable protest for you?

As far as for sports figures, having a discussion/forum on a non game day. Bring in some military members and discuss why they would be offended by this. Thoroughly discuss the matter and the fact protesting social issues, as serious as they are, might be unwise on game day. Discuss all sides. Let Kap lead the discussion. What's wrong with a protest that doesn't scream, me, me, me? Again, if an NFL quarterback decides to protest on game day, the entire day has become about one player, or a few more if they join him in protest. It's the wrong avenue for protest IMO. I could be wrong. Not saying I know it all.

Kneeling during the anthem on game day puts all the attention on that one player, which is not good in a team sport, when the attention is for something non sports related.

You know, players rebelling during the anthem hasn't exactly been good for business. In other walks of life, you could be fired on the spot for individual protests you decide to do at work or while representing your company.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 12:25 PM)
I didn't see that. When I have time I'll watch it. I assume he's mad at himself for doing the same thing the kneeling during the anthem does, take away from the team aspect of football. Like he said you don't want one person out on an island in a team sport. What Dabo did say in his first clip was instead of kneeling why not discuss it in a set-up press conference format, a town hall type meeting?

Your uncle is being told what to think?? Why? Cause he disagrees with you? Don't really understand that line. Whether Kap likes it or not millions of people do think kneeling during the anthem is disrespecting the military. So yes he disagrees with you.

Damn. I'd give you some time off for that. Too many things wrong with that post. I think an athlete can protest all he wants away from the stadium or by holding a news conference with several other players or town meeting just to discuss issues. It's the consummate team sport. Why have a QB draw all this attention to himself on game day on a matter that has nothing to do with football? And in the process he picks a forum that offends military. Real smart when the NFL is so tied into pre-game activities that involve the military: flyovers, rolling out of the flag on the field, etc. I was talking to a guy who said he flat out stopped watching NFL over all this. Said you disrespect the military, that's it for him and that sport. Interesting.

Hey Greg, when you watch a game on TV and they show the anthem, are you standing at attention or sitting on your couch disrespecting the military?

I've watched games with friends, in bars, at houses, and I have never seen one person stand when it was shown on TV. How disrespectful. It doesn't matter the reason the players have for kneeling. It's what Trump and Rush and Hannity want you to believe. That's the real reason.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 12:25 PM)

THEY AREN'T KNEELING TO PROTEST THE MILITARY!!!! Why is this so fn hard to understand?

My uncle, like Trump, repeats what he sees on Fox News and repeats it.

He doesn't listen to the people protesting to get their reasoning and can't see the big picture.

He disagrees with me without getting the whole story.

My uncle says attendance and ratings for the NFL are down because of the kneeling. Gee, wonder where he heard that BS?

Rovell tweeted that 20 of the top 30 most watched events on TV last year were NFL games. Yeah, really struggling.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 07:35 PM)
Question for everyone: if they stopped doing the National Anthem before sporting events, would you care? And why or why not?

Great question. I probably would have to think about that some more before stating a final opinion. I know I've been to a lot of sporting events where during the first time out they honor a military member after reading her/his accomplishment(s) in said military and the crowd goes wild with applause, standing ovations and the military person seems to enjoy the fans' reaction. It seems a very special moment for all. Because it's been tradition to play the anthem so long I'd probably like it to remain. however if many of the participants are disgusted by the anthem and what they feel it represents, they should be heard as well regards to their concerns.

Great question. I must think about it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 07:40 PM)
Hey Greg, when you watch a game on TV and they show the anthem, are you standing at attention or sitting on your couch disrespecting the military?

I've watched games with friends, in bars, at houses, and I have never seen one person stand when it was shown on TV. How disrespectful. It doesn't matter the reason the players have for kneeling. It's what Trump and Rush and Hannity want you to believe. That's the real reason.

No. I only stand when the anthem is played at the arena/stadium, per tradition and custom and respect and all that. I've never heard that there's a movement to stand in privacy during the anthem. I do not do it so perhaps I am out of line there. I'll have to think about it some more.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 07:42 PM)
THEY AREN'T KNEELING TO PROTEST THE MILITARY!!!! Why is this so fn hard to understand?

My uncle, like Trump, repeats what he sees on Fox News and repeats it.

He doesn't listen to the people protesting to get their reasoning and can't see the big picture.

He disagrees with me without getting the whole story.

My uncle says attendance and ratings for the NFL are down because of the kneeling. Gee, wonder where he heard that BS?

Rovell tweeted that 20 of the top 30 most watched events on TV last year were NFL games. Yeah, really struggling.

Well your uncle could have had an informative discussion with you which I guess was ended by your mom hitting you in the head. I just can't buy some of your arguments about disagreements. You say your uncle repeats what he hears on Fox news. By saying that you are implying he has not thought this out at all. My take from afar is you are another person who can't accept anybody else's position on a matter as perhaps being correct. You say angrily "THEY ARENT KNEELING TO PROTEST THE MILITARY!!!" Yet guess what? They picked a forum of protest that ANGERS and saddens the military. The anthem is their baby so to speak. The anthem represents much to military. Have you seen the pomp and circumstance at an NFL game INVOLVING THE MILITARY and the flag? Guess what else? You are not the only person who has the right to have an opinion. You think you are right. Guess what? You might be wrong. Your uncle has an opinion. Yet instead of considering it? Ah, he got that from Fox news. I'm right. He's wrong. Pass me the ham and turkey please.

p.s.: I will say this: The fact your uncle said Kap deserved to be shot is scary and wrong and dangerous. If that's the sole reason you dismissed unc's opinion, then my bad. It sounds like you disagree with more than that stance, however, you also disagree flat out about his anthem stance. But the shooting of Kap comment could make you leave the room and if you are that upset about that comment and believed he was serious, my bad.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 12:52 PM)
No. I only stand when the anthem is played at the arena/stadium, per tradition and custom and respect and all that. I've never heard that there's a movement to stand in privacy during the anthem. I do not do it so perhaps I am out of line there. I'll have to think about it some more.

Well your uncle could have had an informative discussion with you which I guess was ended by your mom hitting you in the head. I just can't buy some of your arguments about disagreements. You say your uncle repeats what he hears on Fox news. By saying that you are implying he has not thought this out at all. My take from afar is you are another person who can't accept anybody else's position on a matter as perhaps being correct. You say angrily "THEY ARENT KNEELING TO PROTEST THE MILITARY!!!" Yet guess what? They picked a forum of protest that ANGERS and saddens the military. The anthem is their baby so to speak. The anthem represents much to military. Have you seen the pomp and circumstance at an NFL game INVOLVING THE MILITARY and the flag? Guess what else? You are not the only person who has the right to have an opinion. You think you are right. Guess what? You might be wrong. Your uncle has an opinion. Yet instead of considering it? Ah, he got that from Fox news. I'm right. He's wrong. Pass me the ham and turkey please.

Personally, if you are watching on TV and they are showing the anthem and you aren't standing, I have no idea how you could complain about someone taking a knee even if their reason for taking a knee is what Fox News wants you to think it is, even though it is not.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 07:59 PM)
Greg, I used to kind of feel bad for you because of how hard people come down on you.

You just don't get it.

Have fun.

I added a p.s. to my last post to you BTW. I don't know if you saw it but it should be added to my stance on your situation with your uncle.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 07:59 PM)
Personally, if you are watching on TV and they are showing the anthem and you aren't standing, I have no idea how you could complain about someone taking a knee even if their reason for taking a knee is what Fox News wants you to think it is, even though it is not.

I didn't know this was something people even considered doing. I don't stand during the anthem in privacy so I guess I am a hypocrite if this is the new standard.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 01:02 PM)
I didn't know this was something people even considered doing. I don't stand during the anthem in privacy so I guess I am a hypocrite if this is the new standard.

It’s not a new standard, it’s a standard you are applying to players but not yourself

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 08:25 PM)
It’s not a new standard, it’s a standard you are applying to players but not yourself

But I stand during the anthem at games just not in private or in bars. I think standing in a bar could get you punched by the way. It'd seem like you are being abnoxious again in drawing attention to yourself. I did not know many people stood in private. That practice of standing alone during the anthem in a house or apartment surprised me that people do it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 01:38 PM)
But I stand during the anthem at games just not in private or in bars. I think standing in a bar could get you punched by the way. It'd seem like you are being abnoxious again in drawing attention to yourself. I did not know many people stood in private. That practice of standing alone during the anthem in a house or apartment surprised me that people do it.

I don't know if anyone does it, in fact, I suspect 99.99% of people do not, but I do find it odd that if they don't, they think these players are being unpatriotic for not standing, unless they are fine with being unpatriotic themselves.

Whatever the reason players don't stand, and it's not to disrespect the military, the military fought for their right to do so. Just because Trump and all of his minions want him to be a dictator, which is very disrespectful to the military BTW, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 10:51 AM)
Being a silent c**n and learning his place.

Come on now man, it's obvious.

Please be careful in your wording. Your post can be taken in a couple different ways, including a couple that are against the rules here. Sarcasm should be in green to help some people out.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 03:24 PM)
Please be careful in your wording. Your post can be taken in a couple different ways, including a couple that are against the rules here. Sarcasm should be in green to help some people out.

I should have thought about it before I said but greg gets on my nerves it was the first thing that came out. Feel free to delete it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 01:38 PM)

Not standing at the game is apparently a way to possible get punched as well, so I don't think that criteria you set is consistent.

If you are saying you need to stand for the anthem, then stand whether in public or privacy. If you think it's wrong to sit or kneel during the anthem then you should hold yourself to the same standard.

Basically many patriotic Americans demand the same freedoms that the North Koreans, Russians, Chinese, and various dictatorial nations have to show their patriotism.

Funny how so many Americans talk with pride about all of our freedoms while demanding that they not be exercised.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:12 PM)
Basically many patriotic Americans demand the same freedoms that the North Koreans, Russians, Chinese, and various dictatorial nations have to show their patriotism.

Funny how so many Americans talk with pride about all of our freedoms while demanding that they not be exercised.

People have the right to do whatever they want. Nobody is saying Colin and the others can't kneel during the anthem. However it doesn't have to be a popular move. Again ... like I said, can the average Joe "protest" while at work? The answer is no. You'd be fired in many lines of work for calling attention to yourself via protest.

I support Colin's right to do whatever he wants. I'm saying it's not a great way to protest something in a team sport. You are off on your own island.

Why not attack the issue in a more productive way when you are offending military by the method you chose? Also you are protesting on company time so to speak when most people can't lest they be fired?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:01 PM)
Not standing at the game is apparently a way to possible get punched as well, so I don't think that criteria you set is consistent.

If you are saying you need to stand for the anthem, then stand whether in public or privacy. If you think it's wrong to sit or kneel during the anthem then you should hold yourself to the same standard.

It's kind of weird to stand up when alone in your living room and nobody's in the house but yourself. Somebody might accuse you of talking to yourself.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 04:38 PM)
People have the right to do whatever they want. Nobody is saying Colin and the others can't kneel during the anthem. However it doesn't have to be a popular move. Again ... like I said, can the average Joe "protest" while at work? The answer is no. You'd be fired in many lines of work for calling attention to yourself via protest.

I support Colin's right to do whatever he wants. I'm saying it's not a great way to protest something in a team sport. You are off on your own island.

Why not attack the issue in a more productive way when you are offending military by the method you chose? Also you are protesting on company time so to speak when most people can't lest they be fired?

Backfire effect on full display hahahahahhaha

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 06:38 PM)

You want him to protest in a way that allows you to not have to deal with it. You want these protests to go away so that people can stop telling you to do things like "see what the laws are like in your own city for what is required to charge a police officer with a criem". You asked what you could do in a thread about one of the recent riots and that was on the list of things I gave, and something tells me you never did it since you never replied. I think the fact that you're pissed off is a great demonstration of why this is important. You want them to go away so you can pretend it's not happening.

The bigger point is that conflating the anthem with the military obfuscates the real point of the protests, and becomes another hot button "social issue" that can be used to divide the electorate.

Likely it's because "criminal justice/police reform" and substantive policy analysis just doesn't work to lead a newscast as a sound-bite friendly topic.