Status on Jose's Plate Appearances???

forkit

Thought it was 575...?

"574 is NOT 575, Jose......"

Please please PLEASE let him fall short....TONY G.....TONY G....

( this is not to say that Tony G is the long-term answer at SS because I don't think he is - this is merely to say that I've seen enough of Jose Valentin and if the Sox want him back, at least it should be at a lower price )

Thought it was 575...?

"574 is NOT 575, Jose......"

Please please PLEASE let him fall short....TONY G.....TONY G....

( this is not to say that Tony G is the long-term answer at SS because I don't think he is - this is merely to say that I've seen enough of Jose Valentin and if the Sox want him back, at least it should be at a lower price )

As I understand it, it was actually for 1100 PAs in the two years of his contract. He had 527 last year, and he has 545 this year, so he needs 28 more, during the next 7 games to be vested in next years option.

He's at 485 at-bats right now, so with 7 games left, he won't make it if the clause reads at bats.

If they add in his 51 walks (I think it's plate appearances vs. at bats, big difference) in which case he's at 536.

Even still, with 4 plate appearances per game for 7 games (maximum scenario) that puts him at 564 ... still short. But I guess you'd have to add in sacrifices to this total as well, so he could be close. I don't know how many sacrifices he has this year.

Looking at his stats, he's struck out over 100 times again ... 109 ... way too many. And only 8 stolen bases.

If the Sox change managers, which seems likely at this point, and bring somebody in who preaches small ball (Backman?) ... I don't see how Valentin fits.

He's at 485 at-bats right now, so with 7 games left, he won't make it if the clause reads at bats.

If they add in his 51 walks (I think it's plate appearances vs. at bats, big difference) in which case he's at 536.

Even still, with 4 plate appearances per game for 7 games (maximum scenario) that puts him at 564 ... still short.  But I guess you'd have to add in sacrifices to this total as well, so he could be close.  I don't know how many sacrifices he has this year.

Looking at his stats, he's struck out over 100 times again ... 109 ... way too many.  And only 8 stolen bases.

If the Sox change managers, which seems likely at this point, and bring somebody in who preaches small ball (Backman?) ... I don't see how Valentin fits.

He also has 2 sac flies, 6 sac bunts, and 3 HBP which leave him 26 plate appearances short with 7 games to play. If they keep him batting 7th or 8th and sit him a game or two he will not make the coveted mark.

For Pete sakes...Jose is a great guy...but KW put in the order to have him miss two games at the very least. Also, I'd look to get Miles some at bats pronto. Heck I'd try and mix Miles/Harris in the infield just so they can both get some playing time.

The vets should be done. The last thing the Sox need to be doing is paying Jose 5.5 mill a year.

For Pete sakes...Jose is a great guy...but KW put in the order to have him miss two games at the very least.  Also, I'd look to get Miles some at bats pronto.  Heck I'd try and mix Miles/Harris in the infield just so they can both get some playing time.

The vets should be done.  The last thing the Sox need to be doing is paying Jose 5.5 mill a year.

Damn right.

CWSOX45