Sale and Quintana

flavum

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
Does Hamels not qualify?

He does, but I only included the top 5 by the metric. He's 8th (2.8 fWAR, 5.1 RA9 WAR, 3.95 combined) behind Sanchez (3.6 fWAR, 4.5 RA9 WAR, 4.05 combined) and Porcello (3.7 fWAR, 4.6 RA9 WAR, 4.15 combined). Of course in reality he'll probably finish top 5.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
He does, but I only included the top 5 by the metric. He's 8th (2.8 fWAR, 5.1 RA9 WAR, 3.95 combined) behind Sanchez (3.6 fWAR, 4.5 RA9 WAR, 4.05 combined) and Porcello (3.7 fWAR, 4.6 RA9 WAR, 4.15 combined). Of course in reality he'll probably finish top 5.

It seems like as long as you cross over 200 innings voters haven't punished people too much.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
In case anybody didn't know or forgot, Quintana has the same Cy Young clause in his contract as Sale. If he wins a Cy Young his 2020 option increases from $10.5M to $14M. If he finishes 2nd or 3rd it jumps to $13M. Not that that is a big deal in any way as it's still chump change for his production but just wanted to point it out as a top 3 finish is very possible for him this year.

One of the best 1-2 starters and probably the best contracts to go along with it. Instead of the high risk blow it up for prospects from an organization with questionable scouting and development, use money on hitters. I think we are closer to contending than pretending. Sale, Q, Rodon, and Gonzalez, that's a decent rotation. A better manager, pen, with the ability to score 4 runs a game puts you there. Take away some injuries, Robin's managing, and the leads blown by the pen this team would be closer to the wildcard.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
One of the best 1-2 starters and probably the best contracts to go along with it. Instead of the high risk blow it up for prospects from an organization with questionable scouting and development, use money on hitters. I think we are closer to contending than pretending. Sale, Q, Rodon, and Gonzalez, that's a decent rotation. A better manager, pen, with the ability to score 4 runs a game puts you there. Take away some injuries, Robin's managing, and the leads blown by the pen this team would be closer to the wildcard.

That rotation is better than decent. It's one of the best in the AL. Think about how poorly the bullpen has performed this year and yet the White Sox still have the fifth lowest team ERA in the AL. I have to imagine they have a top 3 ERA for starting pitchers. Can someone pull this data? Improve the pen substantially next year and they have arguably the best pitching in the AL.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
That rotation is better than decent. It's one of the best in the AL. Think about how poorly the bullpen has performed this year and yet the White Sox still have the fifth lowest team ERA in the AL. I have to imagine they have a top 3 ERA for starting pitchers. Can someone pull this data? Improve the pen substantially next year and they have arguably the best pitching in the AL.

Sox are 6th in the AL for starters' ERA. You have James Shields to thank.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...0&sort=15,a

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
Sox are 6th in the AL for starters' ERA. You have James Shields to thank.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...0&sort=15,a

To expand, because beating up on James Shields is one of my favorite pastimes:

If you replace his 7.16 ERA in 81.2 innings with a 5.92 ERA (chosen because it is the ERA of the worst qualified starter this season, Anibal Sanchez [shields' yearlong total of 5.86 is second]), the team starters' ERA moves from 6th to 3rd (4.22 to 4.09).

If you replace it with a 4.84, the number that Sox fans politely accepted from John Danks following his injury, it would move the Sox comfortably into 2nd place at 3.98.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
S/O Mat Latos as well

Latos was bad but didn't really move the needle much - strip him away and the team number drops 0.03. Shields is a calamity.

the rotation is 6th, the pen is 8th. Overall rotation plus pen = 5th. The pen is really worth less than the stats suggest because it just lacks any stopper beyond 1 or 2 guys; a

If all they needed was a couple of more bullpen studs, I could see going for it next year.

But then you get to the offense....and this front office has been utterly incapable of fixing that for years. Proven veterans, decliners, heroes...they've tried everything, except what has a chance of working.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
To expand, because beating up on James Shields is one of my favorite pastimes:

If you replace his 7.16 ERA in 81.2 innings with a 5.92 ERA (chosen because it is the ERA of the worst qualified starter this season, Anibal Sanchez [shields' yearlong total of 5.86 is second]), the team starters' ERA moves from 6th to 3rd (4.22 to 4.09).

If you replace it with a 4.84, the number that Sox fans politely accepted from John Danks following his injury, it would move the Sox comfortably into 2nd place at 3.98.

Latos was bad but didn't really move the needle much - strip him away and the team number drops 0.03. Shields is a calamity.

Remarkable. No matter how one slices it, the rotation is good with the potential to be great if a guy like Fulmer supplants Shields in the rotation and posts respectable numbers (low to mid 4 ERA). Improve the pen and sign Fowler, Weiters, and Moreland (none of which will cost a pick) and that team has a chance to compete. Wouldn't break the bank either.

I don't think I've ever seen a more underwhelming field for the AL Cy Young.

Sale's the biggest name of them all, but there's a good chance nobody in the group of Kluber, Sale, Quintana, and Tanaka breaks 6 fWAR. Maybe not even 5.5 fWAR. It seems like pitching is down this year compared to previous years (at least from an individual performance standpoint). Part of that might be because of the injury to Kershaw.