What are the odds that Avi is still here in 2017?

balfanman

So, Avi Garcia is a 2nd year arb eligible player next year and no reason to think that status will be changed much by the CBA. His salary this year is $2.1 million.

In Viciedo's first arb year he made $2.8 million, and then agreed to a non-guaranteed $4.4 million deal to avoid arbitration. I learned thanks to this site that those deals are non-guaranteed, meaning it only costs a small amount to terminate an arbitration deal if the player is removed by opening day.

It is possible that is something the union could target changing during the CBA, but assuming it doesn't, a reasonable path is the Viciedo one - they offer him arbitration knowing the contract will be non-guaranteed, get an agreement for something in the range of $4 million, look for better options, and have him available on the roster just in case coming in to ST.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
No.

Bernstein said yesterday (with help from Scott from Davenport) that there have been 238 fly balls (of 200 feet or less) to left this season with a runner on 3rd base. Only 6 of those runners have scored. After yesterday, that number is up to 7.

It was a terrible setup, it was an even more terrible throw, but it wasnt a herculean feat to get that ball home.

well, how many of them have attempted to score? And he obviously didn't have a grip on the ball. The guy is no good, but these things happen. His arm is probably the best part of his entire game.

Lots of good points being made in here. The Sox have tried to shed Avi, but injuries and Adam LaRoche being an abnormal human being have thrust him back into the lineup every time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
So, Avi Garcia is a 2nd year arb eligible player next year and no reason to think that status will be changed much by the CBA. His salary this year is $2.1 million.

In Viciedo's first arb year he made $2.8 million, and then agreed to a non-guaranteed $4.4 million deal to avoid arbitration. I learned thanks to this site that those deals are non-guaranteed, meaning it only costs a small amount to terminate an arbitration deal if the player is removed by opening day.

It is possible that is something the union could target changing during the CBA, but assuming it doesn't, a reasonable path is the Viciedo one - they offer him arbitration knowing the contract will be non-guaranteed, get an agreement for something in the range of $4 million, look for better options, and have him available on the roster just in case coming in to ST.

I agree that it would be reasonable, but I would be opposed to it just as I was opposed with Viciedo. Both were known to be bad and I'd rather the money, time, coaching effort, and Spring Training plate appearances just be used another way.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
Lots of good points being made in here. The Sox have tried to shed Avi, but injuries and Adam LaRoche being an abnormal human being have thrust him back into the lineup every time.

I agree that it would be reasonable, but I would be opposed to it just as I was opposed with Viciedo. Both were known to be bad and I'd rather the money, time, coaching effort, and Spring Training plate appearances just be used another way.

I agree with this post also. Especially as a backup, or bench player, I would much prefer someone who is at least fundamentally sound and seemingly tries hard on every play. Much prefer even Shuck or Coats in that role over Garcia.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
No.

Bernstein said yesterday (with help from Scott from Davenport) that there have been 238 fly balls (of 200 feet or less) to left this season with a runner on 3rd base. Only 6 of those runners have scored. After yesterday, that number is up to 7.

It was a terrible setup, it was an even more terrible throw, but it wasnt a herculean feat to get that ball home.

No doubt the Tiger's scouting says run. If it were Eaton - no way that's happening.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)

Seriously the dude must have a deal with the devil.

The White Sox sign Austin Jackson, Adam LaRoche retires

Austin Jackson gets a season ending injury

The Sox trade for Tilson, gets hurt in his debut.

Sox sign Justin Morneau,

Avi is playing lately because of issues with Melky's health.

He just keeps coming back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
Seriously the dude must have a deal with the devil.

The White Sox sign Austin Jackson, Adam LaRoche retires

Austin Jackson gets a season ending injury

The Sox trade for Tilson, gets hurt in his debut.

Sox sign Justin Morneau,

Avi is playing lately because of issues with Melky's health.

He just keeps coming back.

This is where your GM has to grow a pair and say NO! We already know what he is, leave him in the minors until he figures out to do at least one area of the game well.

At this point ( actually at least a couple of months ago now) give someone else an extended try out to see what they have. Coats, Engle, May, scrap heap fodder.....anyone. By trotting Avi out there again and again you are just fueling the fan base thoughts of " is this the best you can do......really".

QUOTE (balfanman @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
This is where your GM has to grow a pair and say NO! We already know what he is, leave him in the minors until he figures out to do at least one area of the game well.

At this point ( actually at least a couple of months ago now) give someone else an extended try out to see what they have. Coats, Engle, May, scrap heap fodder.....anyone. By trotting Avi out there again and again you are just fueling the fan base thoughts of " is this the best you can do......really".

Because at least 2 of those 3 guys would be WAY worse than Avi. I promise you that if May or Engel were up here today, there would be meltdowns about them being rushed, not ready, and/or not good enough.

Coats is the one guy who may actually deserve a shot, but isn't exactly a guy worth setting the world on fire for anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
Because at least 2 of those 3 guys would be WAY worse than Avi. I promise you that if May or Engel were up here today, there would be meltdowns about them being rushed, not ready, and/or not good enough.

Coats is the one guy who may actually deserve a shot, but isn't exactly a guy worth setting the world on fire for anyway.

Then put Salidino in the outfield everyday and let him get more experience as a utility man and put Sanchez at 2nd. They have not been given anywhere near the chances that Avi has had and he's still terrible.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
Then put Salidino in the outfield everyday and let him get more experience as a utility man and put Sanchez at 2nd. They have not been given anywhere near the chances that Avi has had and he's still terrible.

Pretty sure they dont want him in the outfield because he had TJS

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)

I actually disagree here. Engel and May can both play CF defensively which makes them good at 1 thing to Garcia's 0 things.