Jon Heyman: Sox have little interest in moving Sale or Quintana

Kyyle23

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should have "little interest" in trading them. If either gets traded it should be because a team made a f***ing ridiculous offer to get them. It shouldn't be a situation where teams are telling you what is off of the table that gets a deal done. With the mediocrity of the offers at the deadline which were reported, I have little interest in that either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
They should have "little interest" in trading them. If either gets traded it should be because a team made a f***ing ridiculous offer to get them. It shouldn't be a situation where teams are telling you what is off of the table that gets a deal done. With the mediocrity of the offers at the deadline which were reported, I have little interest in that either.

I agree with this. As I've said, they need franchise altering hauls in return to trade either player.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Geez his agent really screwed up on that deal. I assume he won't accept the QO, yet again diminishing part of his appeal as a FA.

Fowler didn't really have a choice. He could have signed a 2 year deal with Sox or Orioles for more $$ or taken less with Cubs to be on great team. Either way, he was going to receive another QO unless they sat half the season and signed after the deadline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)

I would say as is, Q and Sale contracts are the best value vs. performance in MLB and maybe in all professional sports. This team has a decent rotation.

There were a lot of injuries. A new manager who is not a former Sox and a modified pen will also be a difference.

Frazier will have a year of facing AL pitching so there will be some improvement. He's not a high avg. guy anyway.

Abreu had an off year. Anyone remember those PK slumps?

Remove an injury or two, Robin's management, pen pissing away games, they would have been closer this year.

Most of the trade scenarios I've read really didn't help a team in dire need of position players.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
I would say as is, Q and Sale contracts are the best value vs. performance in MLB and maybe in all professional sports. This team has a decent rotation.

There were a lot of injuries. A new manager who is not a former Sox and a modified pen will also be a difference.

Frazier will have a year of facing AL pitching so there will be some improvement. He's not a high avg. guy anyway.

Abreu had an off year. Anyone remember those PK slumps?

Remove an injury or two, Robin's management, pen pissing away games, they would have been closer this year.

All great reasons they shouldn't be actively shopping Sale and/or Q. If teams want to come to you, and blow you away, hey great, you listen and make it work. If not, you still have Q and Sale.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
And in the mean time, while we talk about how awesomely valuable Chris and Q are, we can miss the playoffs for the 6th straight season with them next year.

This is the common retort but trading them for less than they're worth is equally stupid. This really isn't a debate. We should want them to be traded because if they are, a haul is coming in return. If they aren't traded, it's because those deals aren't out there and it's not worth doing anyway.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
This is the common retort but trading them for less than they're worth is equally stupid. This really isn't a debate. We should want them to be traded because if they are, a haul is coming in return. If they aren't traded, it's because those deals aren't out there and it's not worth doing anyway.

They're going to bring some sort of haul in return, I have no idea what it is, you have no idea what it is and nobody knows what the hell their "worth" is. We can pretend that we do but we don't. All I know is that having them together on this team has done absolutely nothing for us as our front office has no idea how to build around them. As I've said before, trading them is a complete crap shoot but I'm willing to take my chances as I know what results are yielded when we try to build around them. Instead we're going to keep waiting around talking about how valuable their contracts are and continue to miss the playoffs year after year because we need to get full value for them, and nobody knows what the f*** that is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
This is the exact same stuff that was said about John Danks. Just because things aren't great, doesn't mean they can't be worse.

We've made the playoffs one time since the WS year, one of 5 teams to only have 1 playoff appearance in that span and we have 0 playoff appearances with these two on the team together. No, things can't get worse.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
This is the exact same stuff that was said about John Danks. Just because things aren't great, doesn't mean they can't be worse.

Given the apathy currently present in the Sox fanbase, would "worse" even matter? The attendance sucks, nobody is watching, what's the difference between slightly under .500 and very under .500 every year?

I'm not saying you have to trade them, but when you say "at least you still have Sale & Q", that just accepts this barely mediocre path JR has the franchise rolling on now.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
They're going to bring some sort of haul in return, I have no idea what it is, you have no idea what it is and nobody knows what the hell their "worth" is. We can pretend that we do but we don't. All I know is that having them together on this team has done absolutely nothing for us as our front office has no idea how to build around them. As I've said before, trading them is a complete crap shoot but I'm willing to take my chances as I know what results are yielded when we try to build around them. Instead we're going to keep waiting around talking about how valuable their contracts are and continue to miss the playoffs year after year because we need to get full value for them, and nobody knows what the f*** that is.

We've made the playoffs one time since the WS year, one of 5 teams to only have 1 playoff appearance in that span and we have 0 playoff appearances with these two on the team together. No, things can't get worse.

We haven't seen anywhere near the worst. We didn't go decades without being over .500.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
Given the apathy currently present in the Sox fanbase, would "worse" even matter? The attendance sucks, nobody is watching, what's the difference between slightly under .500 and very under .500 every year?

I'm not saying you have to trade them, but when you say "at least you still have Sale & Q", that just accepts this barely mediocre path JR has the franchise rolling on now.

No that recognizes that trading them just to do something is a terrible, awful idea that would completely waste your best assets.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
We haven't seen anywhere near the worst. We didn't go decades without being over .500.

You personally were in the Guaranteed Rate thread saying how bad of a sign the indifference of larger companies was for this franchise when you look ahead to the next TV contract.

I'd say you don't get to be scared of where things are going in that thread and then say how much worse things could be in here, because if things are scary right now...they're scary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
All great reasons they shouldn't be actively shopping Sale and/or Q. If teams want to come to you, and blow you away, hey great, you listen and make it work. If not, you still have Q and Sale.

And what, ride off into the sunset of mediocrity until we lose Sale in a few years? Holding onto Sale & Quintana is pointless if you're never going to be able to build a winner around them. Obviously you don't give them away, but their value will never be higher than this offseason and if this magical haul some posters are expecting isn't there, then maybe you need to reset your expectations. There will be enough bidders this offseason to get fair market value for them, whatever that may be. I've said this so many times, but the absolute worst thing this franchise can do is hold onto these guys and end up getting nothing in return and not winning s***. There needs to be a sense of urgency this offseason to either to buy talent around them or to aggressively sell them. Waiting to be overwhelmed is the worst approach for a team in dire need of a clear direction.