What should the Sox do this winter?

Jose Abreu

What should/will the Sox do this winter?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. What SHOULD the Sox do this winter?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand pat
  2. 2. What WILL the Sox do this winter?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand pat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 12:26 PM)
Boston would not trade JBJ in a Sale package. Why would they do it for Q. They also will not trade Rodriguez in a package for a pitcher. Swihart is a left fielder and no longer a catcher. Boston's starting pitching has been really good since All Star braek. Dombrowski will probably look for a Hellickson or Gray deal.

IMO, after reading one of the beat guys tweet out that the 2 teams were laying the ground work for an off-season trade, the Bo Sox just didn't wanna trade JBJ, or any major leaguer, mid season.

Why "Lay the ground work for an off-season trade" and not just do it then? Either there is talks of a major leaguer or possibly a 2016 draft pick.

Is Swihart bad defensively or do they just wanna get his bat in the lineup?

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 09:09 PM)
IMO, after reading one of the beat guys tweet out that the 2 teams were laying the ground work for an off-season trade, the Bo Sox just didn't wanna trade JBJ, or any major leaguer, mid season.

Why "Lay the ground work for an off-season trade" and not just do it then? Either there is talks of a major leaguer or possibly a 2016 draft pick.

Bad defensively. Now he has been hurt so I doubt he has any trade value

Well they shouldn't "buy". Hahn has proven incapable of building a team through that approach. It's a near impossible task anyway, with such a slim young core.

And whatever he does how about some finesse and real negotiation instead of falling in the trap of paying top dollar for the most heavily pushed trade baits in MLB...and Hahn fell for both of them the last 2 years (Frazier and Samardzija).

Whether they should totally rebuild is another question. If they wanted to do that, they should have started in July when prices were high, But Hahn and Williams decided to take a nap and sit out the July deadline, preferring life in dreamland that the Sox were still in it.

Edited by GreenSox

The offense has been putrid for years... but I don't actually think we should chase more than 1 ... maybe 2 players on offense.

Bull pen... bull pen.... bull pen... and more bull pen is what we need to focus on.

Next year line up

1. Eat RF

2 Anderson SS

3 Melk LF

4 Abreu 1b

5. LH DH

6. Frazier 3B

7. Lawrie 2b

8. Navarez/whatever vet catcher we can find.

9. Austin Jackson or whatever CF we can find.

Sale

Quintanta

Rodon

Gonzalez

?

Bullpen... mostly question marks.

Oh and a new manager.

Edited by harkness

Well, I wouldn't do a winter rebuild anyway and prices are better in July.

So sign a CF and a relief pitcher; re-sign Avila and pray he stays healthy. Find an arm for the bullpen. Maybe re-sign Morneau.

Absolutely no trades of young players for veterans - that kind of silly stuff from Williams and Hahn has kept the Sox on the 75-80 win treadmill; if you can find a trade for a young player, take it.

Take it easy on the staff (113 pitches for Q?) and on Jones and Robertson in September. See what Beck, Ynoa and Kahnle have...all have had moments but no consistency.

And if we suck in July 2017, don't take a nap this time, but sell.

One wonders if they'll just make the argument that Tilson deserves the shot to start in CF and not add someone like a Carlos Gomez or Colby Rasmus for that position.

Tilson seems more likely, unless that hamstring tear was so serious his viability as a defender is uncertain heading into next year. The likes of Fowler or Desmond are going to be beyond their budget will all the additional bidders in the market, and/or there won't be a mutual interest.

I also wouldn't count on Petricka or Putnam, but that doesn't mean both won't be cited as reasons for not making any moves in the bullpen over the offseason, along with the presence of Burdi (who may or may not be converted to starting).

No matter what you do, there's a logical argument against it here...bringing Avila back and praying for sound health for an entire season just doesn't seem like a very sound strategy, but it's certainly the most economical one, and they should be familiar enough now with his various health issues to draw a reasonable conclusion in terms of what direction to move forward in. Narvaez will likely be the back-up heading into ST, he's earned that much at least.

Well, since you asked:

1) Fire Robin Ventura.

2) Hire a good manager.

3) Sign Yoenis Cespedes.

4) Sign Wilson Ramos.

5) Sign a 5th Starter (Iwakuma, Fister, Hellickson, Nova look like decent options).

6) Trade for Puig if the Dodgers truly are giving him away.

Before anyone goes off about "this is unrealistic", remember that the thread title is "What should the Sox do this winter?" This is what I think they should do this winter, and sadly is in no way reflective of what I think they will do this winter.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 10:21 PM)
Well, since you asked:

1) Fire Robin Ventura.

2) Hire a good manager.

3) Sign Yoenis Cespedes.

4) Sign Wilson Ramos.

5) Sign a 5th Starter (Iwakuma, Fister, Hellickson, Nova look like decent options).

Before anyone goes off about "this is unrealistic", remember that the thread title is "What should the Sox do this winter?" This is what I think they should do this winter, and sadly is in no way reflective of what I think they will do this winter.

If adding $50 million/yr to the payroll is an option I'm on board with that plan. Not a guarantee Cespedes will be a FA this year yet though.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 10:21 PM)
Well, since you asked:

1) Fire Robin Ventura.

2) Hire a good manager.

3) Sign Yoenis Cespedes.

4) Sign Wilson Ramos.

Cespedes and Ramos will cost two draft choices. If you sign one FA with a QO, you might as well sign two.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 11:21 PM)
Well, since you asked:

1) Fire Robin Ventura.

2) Hire a good manager.

3) Sign Yoenis Cespedes.

4) Sign Wilson Ramos.

Question what does "hire a good manager" mean? It's not like they are gonna pluck Joe Madden from the Cubs. Who's a "good manager" that they can go out and hire?

Also, RV's contract is up this year, so no firing would be necessary

Edited by gosoxgo2005

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)
Question what does "hire a good manager" mean? It's not like they are gonna pluck Joe Madden from the Cubs. Who's a "good manager" that they can go out and hire?

Also, RV's contract is up this year, so no firing would be necessary

Valid points. I'm sure Joe Maddon isn't the only good manager on the planet, and I'm not necessarily looking for them to hire a proven track record. Seeing them go through a process where they interview people and choose the best candidate rather than begging someone out of retirement that doesn't even really want to be there would make me think that maybe they've actually found someone who wants the job and can do well at it.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
Valid points. I'm sure Joe Maddon isn't the only good manager on the planet, and I'm not necessarily looking for them to hire a proven track record. Seeing them go through a process where they interview people and choose the best candidate rather than begging someone out of retirement that doesn't even really want to be there would make me think that maybe they've actually found someone who wants the job and can do well at it.

I think given a similar poll you'd have 70% expecting the Sox would just switch to Renteria, and another 10% will guess they'll jump Thome or Rowand.

The Sox could use a serviceable bullpen for once. Do you realize they've blown leads late in almost all the losses to KC this year? Beck yesterday just got hammered by a stumbling KC team. Until the Sox get some bullpen guys who can get people out and/or starters who can pitch into the 8th you are looking at this trainwreck of a team.

The defense did seem a little better this year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 12:33 AM)
http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/...nded/order/true

Leading the majors with 28 blown saves. Cincy only has 22.

Our bullpen has stunk ever since Joe Morgan said it was the best in baseball what, 3-4 seasons ago? He's a special adviser to the Reds. Our front office needs to invite him to town to take off the hex. Wine him and dine him and get him to admit the White Sox bullpen sucks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
I think given a similar poll you'd have 70% expecting the Sox would just switch to Renteria, and another 10% will guess they'll jump Thome or Rowand.

As much as I really dislike Ventura, hiring just another manager would not really have a quality impact of the Sox current situation. What the Sox really need to do is rebuild from within. Starting with their farm system. It seems their scouts and coaches seem to have a tough time evaluating talent. Occasionally you get a Tim Anderson but I have been questioning for a few years now about the scouts.

Also, note to front office, stop trading for aging veterans who have already past their peak. And really stop signing players named Adam.

QUOTE (Coach @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 06:32 AM)
As much as I really dislike Ventura, hiring just another manager would not really have a quality impact of the Sox current situation. What the Sox really need to do is rebuild from within. Starting with their farm system. It seems their scouts and coaches seem to have a tough time evaluating talent. Occasionally you get a Tim Anderson but I have been questioning for a few years now about the scouts.

Also, note to front office, stop trading for aging veterans who have already past their peak. And really stop signing players named Adam.

Adam Eaton says hello.

I was at the game yesterday and had a runner on 1st. Hosmer was playing way back almost to the grass. Our base runner only took a mediocre lead. I turned to my wife and said this is one way to Sox shoot themselves in the foot. The runner should be leading off a lot more since there is no chance for a pickoff. It would make the difference of going from 1st to 2nd or 3rd if the batter gets a hit. He may even score if it is in the gap. I have been saying for several years this is on the coaching staff including the base coaches. How tough is it to teach proper leadoffs?

In Sale's last 10 starts, 9 have been quality starts, and the team is 2-8 in those games with wins over Oakland and Kansas City. I haven't had the stomach to watch this team with regularity in over a month. They need to be sellers this offseason and commit to a rebuild. The good news is that they can contend in short order if the front office makes the right moves. I think they should sell, and I think they will sell.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)

He was average defensively, probably better than anything the Sox have had in a while. They moved him to LF because they had a hole there with Holt hurt, Vasquez is further along defensively and it made sense to keep him there so they could get them both in the lineup.