Tim Anderson has improved his defense

Whisox05

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Anderson's defense has been a really pleasant surprise. He really has a knack for making the spectacular play, but definitely needs some work on the repetitions of the routine play. That will come. Anderson has been a great positive for the White Sox this year.

Kinda sounds like our last shortstop.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Our last shortstop, who was quite good.

If Anderson winds up better than Alexei we should all be over the moon.

This too. Alexei was a damned good SS during his peak. If we get that out of Tim Anderson, that is a big win for a team that has a reputation of not being able to develop guys exactly like Tim Anderson... raw, toolsy, athletes.

He sure looks like he belongs and then some. All the people who thought he was rushed or that his callup was a desperation move were completely wrong. Helps one believe in the FO a bit more. They nailed this pick and they nailed preparing him and they nailed his timetable. Kudos

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
He sure looks like he belongs and then some. All the people who thought he was rushed or that his callup was a desperation move were completely wrong. Helps one believe in the FO a bit more. They nailed this pick and they nailed preparing him and they nailed his timetable. Kudos

I think you are jumping the gun big time here. Even Gordon Beckham was a world beater in the beginning. He's doing well so far, but jury is still out.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)

Like Chili, I think it's way too early to say they nailed anything. But I can admit defeat about the rushed part. I criticized the Sox for bringing him up so soon, I thought he would flounder in the majors right away, but he hasn't.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
I think he'll be much better than Alexei.

That's a very optimistic claim but we'll see. He can hit for a higher average than Alexei, walk at a similarly low rate, hit for maybe a little less power, but defensively, Alexei will probably edge Anderson. Hope I'm proved wrong

Comparing Beckham and Anderson is pointless...

But it's impossible to say what was the right move. It has worked so far with Timmy, but if Rodon, for instance, had additional time in the minors to perfect his changeup, if Fulmer had stayed in the minors for the entire season exclusively as a starter...we can all play that game. Or someone will compare Carlos to Kolek, Aiken and Schwarber or the bar set with every single #3 pick.

Heck, two months ago it seemed we could no longer definitively declare Jose Abreu a clear victory...at least in terms of his future value.

Next it will be the debate back and forth about rushing Collins and Burdi.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
Tim Anderson is 10th among shortstops with 7 Defensive Runs Saved and he's 12th in UZR. https://t.co/BEx5q8oYb1

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/773909710701404161

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...ive-improvement

There were reports during his last year in the minors that his D was rapidly improving.

Glad to see it has continued in the majors.

Anderson could have had 0 Minor League at bats and eventually would have been a fine MLB player and Beckham could have had 20,000 Minor League at bats and he still would have never been a Major League starter. Just two different people, that's why I always hate comparing these guys.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
Anderson could have had 0 Minor League at bats and eventually would have been a fine MLB player and Beckham could have had 20,000 Minor League at bats and he still would have never been a Major League starter. Just two different people, that's why I always hate comparing these guys.

Not sure about the first part...the second one, 100% true.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
That's a very optimistic claim but we'll see. He can hit for a higher average than Alexei, walk at a similarly low rate, hit for maybe a little less power, but defensively, Alexei will probably edge Anderson. Hope I'm proved wrong

Alexei had 5 seasons with OPS >.700 and exactly 1 > .750.

Besting Alexei isn't the highest of bars, and I have little doubt that he will shortly be better than Alexei ever was, if he isn't already.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
Alexei had 5 seasons with OPS >.700 and exactly 1 > .750.

Besting Alexei isn't the highest of bars, and I have little doubt that he will shortly be better than Alexei ever was, if he isn't already.

Alexei was a 4 fWAR player in his prime. Give the guy some more credit. He was a damn fine ballplayer.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 12:33 AM)
Alexei was a 4 fWAR player in his prime. Give the guy some more credit. He was a damn fine ballplayer.

He was damn good. We tend to bury our own on here. That play Anderson made the other day in the hole to his right was amazing. He barely missed throwing the guy out. Had he made the play it mighta been one of the best I've ever seen a ss make.