Tim Anderson has improved his defense

Whisox05

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 08:50 PM)
I'll just go out on a limb and say Anderson is for real.He might hit more HR's then Alexei too. I think he D will also be on par if not better than Alexei . I'm not slighting Alexei in any way either.

If he hits some homeruns ALONG with the singles and doubles while keeping that average and on base percentage where it should be, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I'd rather him not get it into his mind that he needs to hit homeruns in order to help the team win. He's not here because of his pwoer (although I am not denying he has that potential), he is here to hit line drives, get on base, steal bases, and score runs. He is a table setter, not a run producer. I wouldn't mind if he didn't hit more than 8-10 per year.

Edited by Scoots

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
Alexei had 5 seasons with OPS >.700 and exactly 1 > .750.

Besting Alexei isn't the highest of bars, and I have little doubt that he will shortly be better than Alexei ever was, if he isn't already.

During the most dead era for scoring in baseball. For some reason, offense is back again.

The scouting reports were pretty underwhelming. Now that we've had a chance to see him in action, I'm very impressed. It wouldn't surprise me if he became a Super Star. He has a lot of great tools. I'm surprised by his defense and his power. I envisioned him as a lead off hitter, primarily because of his speed. He may end up being able to hit closer the the middle of the lineup. We'll see.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
The scouting reports were pretty underwhelming. Now that we've had a chance to see him in action, I'm very impressed. It wouldn't surprise me if he became a Super Star. He has a lot of great tools. I'm surprised by his defense and his power. I envisioned him as a lead off hitter, primarily because of his speed. He may end up being able to hit closer the the middle of the lineup. We'll see.

Nice post. His defense has been incredible. He has that knack to just make the heady plays. That's what good guys see to do in all sports. I'm excited too.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
And he seems to have twice the arm of the guy across town who gets tons of praise for his D. I can't wait to see how they compare next year. We might have the better shortstop.

They have a far better team and guys on better teams always get the credit. It's like most of the All Star voting.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
Alexei was a 4 fWAR player in his prime. Give the guy some more credit. He was a damn fine ballplayer.

He was a very good player for 4 seasons or so.

But right now, I think TA is playing as well as AR ever did. I think he can get better and, hopefully, sustain it.

I've said before, to the lament of some, I would be disappointed if he's not better than Alexei. I'm not and doubt I will be.

Now part of that, admittedly, is that when you draft raw high school players, you will have a high washout rate- unavoidable. So when one develops, I want them to develop big.

Anderson was originally described as a very raw, but "toolsy" SS. Somewhere between the time those observations were made and his arrival in the Big Leagues, he seems to have refined those tools and become a legitimate, solid Major League contributor. His only deficiency seems to be his unwillingness to walk. Whether, or not, he can correct that flaw will significantly impact his OBP and consequently his suitability as a leadoff hitter. Other than that, he appears, at least to me, to be one of the key, core players on this roster, going forward. His arm strength, his amazing range and speed, his surprising power and his ability to hit to all fields, combined with his age, all suggest that he could become a Super Star.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 10:48 PM)
Who cares?

I think it's cool to see how our players rate against players from other teams. Would be cool if he's a top 10 SS next year to me. I think it's also cool that Eaton is a top defensive RFer. Comparative stats are cool to me and other folks.

Na mean?

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
I think it's cool to see how our players rate against players from other teams. Would be cool if he's a top 10 SS next year to me. I think it's also cool that Eaton is a top defensive RFer. Comparative stats are cool to me and other folks.

Na mean?

Rather compare him to Francisco Lindor, a divisional rival SS whom we will be seeing a lot of over the next 5+ years. I just get annoying with the constant comparisons to Cubs players.

Some of the reports from our own insiders here about how many of his errors were caused just by a non-MLB quality 1B were correct and he was much closer to MLB ready defensively then the errors predicted. You can't really go from a bad defensive SS to a good one in a few months can you? I think he has been solid since the 1st day he came up. Certainly he has a bit of a wild arm at times but so do most athletic SSs as they are trying to make every play and giving max effort throws more often then someone that can't even get to the ball in the first place.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Not sure if he tweaked his swing but he's been pretty mediocre at the plate the last few weeks. No extra base hits in 53 at bats, with very few hard hit balls. To me, it looks like he has gone away from using his lower half in his swing and it's causing a significant number of weak grounders. Would love to see him and Rodon finish strong.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 19, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
Not sure if he tweaked his swing but he's been pretty mediocre at the plate the last few weeks. No extra base hits in 53 at bats, with very few hard hit balls. To me, it looks like he has gone away from using his lower half in his swing and it's causing a significant number of weak grounders. Would love to see him and Rodon finish strong.

Honestly he had been overdue for a slump. At every other level it happened upon his promotion. This is where we learn about Tim Anderson as a major leaguer.