K.C. Specials @ Chicago WHite Sox 4:10 PM CDT

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
I blame this loss on Ventura only because it's convenient. He can't manage this team past a 3 game winning streak.

We're going to end up in between tanking to get a top 10 pick and finishing the year on a high note with a great month. Which is pretty much the worst case scenario. Does nothing to help this team going into next year.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 01:48 AM)
Over an entire season I don't see him as being an upgrade over Lawrie yet. But he is a nice player to have. It's really too bad he can't play the outfield to be used as a super sub kind of like Jurickson Profar.

OMG. Lawrie is a joke. Get rid of him and give the job to Saladino. Can't you people see he can hit????

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 02:14 AM)
Greg, he's a 746 career ops guy in the minors and still just 663 for the Sox.

He could be a 725ish guy (like now, playing against the most favorable matchups) but it's a crapshoot. Anderson does seem to play well with him, but I wouldn't depend on him and then envision that as a playoff team.

He's perfectly suited as a super-utility player on a much better team.

Utility player? Please. At some point don't you guys trust your EYES? He is a fricking stud and a team player. You watch him when he gets on base? You watch him LEAD? I'm just sick the Sox will never make him a regular.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 11:33 PM)
OMG. Lawrie is a joke. Get rid of him and give the job to Saladino. Can't you people see he can hit????

Well I have no problem starting Saladino. You know Lawrie will start sulking if he's benched and become a cancer. That just creates yet another hole we can't fill internally (utility player) with anyone other than garbage like Leury Garcia and Shuck.

Which is why I originally said Saladino is best used as a super sub who plays most days because it keeps your depth and allows both guys to get consistent AB's. That way if someone gets hurt he can take over their spot in an every day role and we don't get a massive drop off in production.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
Why is Ventura managing all of a sudden like it's the 7th game in the World Series?

Good question. Someone needs to remind him that this is September garbo time - a whole bench who should get at bats and experience. Hahn is either too weak-kneed to do anything about it....or he shares Ventura's desperation to reach .500 (because .500 certainly isn't a goal that affects the org. one way or the other).

As for comments re Saladino, no over-reaction. He's not great - he's just as good as Lawrie, with less experience and more room to grow. That's not a high bar - Lawrie has never been much.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
Good question. Someone needs to remind him that this is September garbo time - a whole bench who should get at bats and experience. Hahn is either too weak-kneed to do anything about it....or he shares Ventura's desperation to reach .500 (because .500 certainly isn't a goal that affects the org. one way or the other).

As for comments re Saladino, no over-reaction. He's not great - he's just as good as Lawrie, with less experience and more room to grow. That's not a high bar - Lawrie has never been much.

Except he has proven he can be a 3 war player earlier in his career...of course, that doesn't guarantee he can stay healthy enough to do it again. And those strikeouts when he's going bad are tough to take, not that Saladino's a contact hitter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2016 -> 07:08 PM)
Welcome to rebuilding. These are the types of guys who will be playing for us. A lot.

Or Konerko, Carlos Lee, Ray Durham, Magglio Ordonez and a #1 ranked farm system...

Or Thomas, Ventura, Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Sammy Sosa, Wilson Alvarez, Scott Radinsky, etc.

Sure, we can say that all you'll get in a rebuild is Leury Garcia, Omar Narvaez, Carlos Sanchez, Beck, Ynoa, Danish, but that's not really true because you would have a huge influx of positional player talent to go along with Anderson, Rodon, Burdi, Collins, Hansen, Fulmer, etc.

You could go through that 2012 list of rookie pitchers from the bullpen and find that most of them are now out of baseball. You're always going to have lots of "misses" in that area of the club, especially the back end.

Boy we stink.

The Royals had lost something like six of nine entering the series and the Sox had been something like 13-6 at home. And we promptly lose 2 of 3. The Sox should be ashamed of their performance vs. KC and other Central teams but something tells me they are not ashamed. They drew enough fans this year and sold enough parking spaces to make a tidy profit I'm sure.

And we've still got the WS banners from 2005 keeping everybody smiling.