Infield arguably set:

3B: Frazier- Set in stone

SS: Anderson- Set in stone

2B: Saladino- Gamer, start him

1B: Abreu- Set in stone

C: Narvaez- Earning it, walk rate incredible, see how year finishes

BN: Leury- Owned AAA this year, gives good speed and defense, has a little pop

BN: Lawrie- Plus plus bench piece

BN: Avila- Or someone similar, but I like the option for clutch LH ABs since he can walk

Outfield is where the work has to be done:

LF: Major Acquisition- Cespedes @ 30M

CF: Defense first guy- Maybe Tilson until Engel is ready

RF: Eaton set in stone

BN: May- Is his D great?

BN: Avi for FO pride

DH: Melky, who can spell OF corners

I think if the FO focuses on a major, punishing OF bat the Sox will be competitive. Not as worried about C and CF since it's too hard to find Trouts n Poseys.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
Yes, people are starting to see the light! With a few offseason moves this offense should at least be league average next season and, quite frankly, that's all they need to compete with this starting rotation assuming the #5 spot is properly addressed.

Yes. I think money is the answer for the bat. Trade is the answer for the pitcher. If they trade for a damn good pitcher then maybe the bullpen can be all in-house.

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
Would people want Braun in the outfield?

No way. Can't wait for Melky to be gone too.

And before you bring up Jose Quintana, his suspension was fishy and he was a teenager. Once you're in the union, and you continue to cheat (and also lie about it), I don't want you on the team I root for.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
No way. Can't wait for Melky to be gone too.

And before you bring up Jose Quintana, his suspension was fishy and he was a teenager. Once you're in the union, and you continue to cheat (and also lie about it), I don't want you on the team I root for.

Yeah, as far as I know Quintana needed something for a back injury at 17 and apparently didn't know it was a banned substance

Year 1 Rebuilding Lineup

1B: Jose Abreu

2B: Yoan Moncada

SS: Tim Anderson

3B: Matt Davidson

LF: Jason Coats

CF: Andrew Benintendi

RF: Adam Eaton

DH: Adam Lind

C: Kevin Plawecki

IF: Tyler Saladino

OF: Charlie Tilson

UT: Leury Garcia

BC: Omar Narvaez

Assumes Sale for Moncada/Benintendi/+ deal

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
Yes, people are starting to see the light! With a few offseason moves this offense should at least be league average next season and, quite frankly, that's all they need to compete with this starting rotation assuming the #5 spot is properly addressed.

I'm convinced you are Kenny Williams.

Three quick thoughts from Colorado as I get ready for a football game:

1. As long as Lawrie is around the Sox will not be starting Saladino.

2. There is a story in the Sun-Times today on Morneau where he said he hasn't decided what he wants to do next year, retirement is a consideration.

3. In a limited free agent market, to get the best hitters available the Sox will have to overspend. Are they willing to do that?

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
Seriously, I can't think of a single poster who's been more gung-ho on the "retool train" because, like every other year, we're only a few pieces away from "contention".

Well that's because they are. Hopefully they add these important pieces this offseason unlike last offseason (and no I did not consider Latos, Rollins, Jackson, Navarro as an honest attempt to address those holes). Laugh all you want but this team is a lot closer to contention than most folks on here are willing to give them credit for.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
Name one team in the past 10 years that has undertaken a full rebuild with a core as young, talented, and cost controlled as Sale, Q, Rodon, Anderson, Eaton, and Abreu.

I'm pretty sure everybody gets it.. you're trying to hammer home the fact that the Sox are fools for busting up a team with a core that's affordable and controlled.. a core that includes 3 strong top of line starting pitchers, a SS of the future, and two solid offensive players…

Also, it's pretty obvious at this point you're just gonna continue to hammer without trying to understand or taking into consideration any other point of view other than your own..

You wanna play fantasy baseball and mix and match players for your contending/core intact 2017 White Sox.. that's fine..

The fact is, other than your core players of Eaton, Abreu, Anderson.. the entire lineup pretty much needs to be addressed…as well as 2 back end starting pitchers, and a bullpen who's only saving grace really, in order to avoid the disaster of 2016, is two guys coming back from season ending injuries and hopefully returning to form…

As has been pointed out numerous times, the Sox are in a bind with their "reload".. because of two factors.. a) weak free agent market for the next two seasons b) with attendance in 2016 only averaging less than 1000 more per game over 2015, the very unlikely scenario of any significant increase in payroll… furthermore, even with a moderate jump in payroll, there's no convincing argument out there that the available acquisitions within budget are gonna make any real solid significant impact

Either way, there's no guarantee at all than any of the "core" will be traded away… so this whole argument could all be for naught…

If there's any one thing I would hope you would take away for all of this .. it's this: a rebuild with your bargaining chips being probably the most premier players available on the market, is something the Sox organization has never been in a position to take advantage of.. "a retool' is something that has been attempted over and over and over again with the same predictable sad, frustrating results

Edited by captain54

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
Name one team in the past 10 years that has undertaken a full rebuild with a core as young, talented, and cost controlled as Sale, Q, Rodon, Anderson, Eaton, and Abreu.

In 2013 Boston won the World Series and had Pedroia, Bradley, Bogaerts, Buchholtz and Ortiz. Had two down years but totally rebuilt their roster Through FA, trades and their farm they rebuilt their bullpen, starting pitching, catchers, RF, IB, 3B, LF.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
In 2013 Boston won the World Series and had Pedroia, Bradley, Bogaerts, Buchholtz and Ortiz. Had two down years but totally rebuilt their roster Through FA, trades and their farm they rebuilt their bullpen, starting pitching, catchers, RF, IB, 3B, LF.

What players did they trade as young, talented, and controlled as the core six I mentioned?

QUOTE (captain54 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
I'm pretty sure everybody gets it.. you're trying to hammer home the fact that the Sox are fools for busting up a team with a core that's affordable and controlled.. a core that includes 3 strong top of line starting pitchers, a SS of the future, and two solid offensive players…

Also, it's pretty obvious at this point you're just gonna continue to hammer without trying to understand or taking into consideration any other point of view other than your own..

You wanna play fantasy baseball and mix and match players for your contending/core intact 2017 White Sox.. that's fine..

The fact is, other than your core players of Eaton, Abreu, Anderson.. the entire lineup pretty much needs to be addressed…as well as 2 back end starting pitchers, and a bullpen who's only saving grace really, in order to avoid the disaster of 2016, is two guys coming back from season ending injuries and hopefully returning to form…

As has been pointed out numerous times, the Sox are in a bind with their "reload".. because of two factors.. a) weak free agent market for the next two seasons b) with attendance in 2016 only averaging less than 1000 more per game over 2015, the very unlikely scenario of any significant increase in payroll… furthermore, even with a moderate jump in payroll, there's no convincing argument out there that the available acquisitions within budget are gonna make any real solid significant impact

Either way, there's no guarantee at all than any of the "core" will be traded away… so this whole argument could all be for naught…

If there's any one thing I would hope you would take away for all of this .. it's this: a rebuild with your bargaining chips being probably the most premier players available on the market, is something the Sox organization has never been in a position to take advantage of.. "a retool' is something that has been attempted over and over and over again with the same predictable sad, frustrating results

2 months ago I was completely on board with the total rebuild train. However, the emergence of Rodon, better than expected performance of Anderson, and total 180 by Abreu has changed everything. A core that appeared to only consist of 3, has turned into 6 in a matter of months. I mean I always thought Anderson and Rodon would be solid contributors but with the both of them already flashing all star potential at such a young age is something I did not anticipate.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
2 months ago I was completely on board with the total rebuild train. However, the emergence of Rodon, better than expected performance of Anderson, and total 180 by Abreu has changed everything. A core that appeared to only consist of 3, has turned into 6 in a matter of months. I mean I always thought Anderson and Rodon would be solid contributors but with the both of them already flashing all star potential at such a young age is something I did not anticipate.

And the sad thing...this is exactly how someone in the front office is going to convince everyone to go with the route that they've taken the last two years - pretend that everything will go right and we're only a tiny sliver away.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it will turn out to have all been Robin Ventura's fault.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
Year 1 Rebuilding Lineup

1B: Jose Abreu

2B: Yoan Moncada

SS: Tim Anderson

3B: Matt Davidson

LF: Jason Coats

CF: Andrew Benintendi

RF: Adam Eaton

DH: Adam Lind

C: Kevin Plawecki

IF: Tyler Saladino

OF: Charlie Tilson

UT: Leury Garcia

BC: Omar Narvaez

Assumes Sale for Moncada/Benintendi/+ deal

wet dream.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
What players did they trade as young, talented, and controlled as the core six I mentioned?

Boston traded Felix Doubront, Andrew Miller ( who they got for Josh Reddick), Jose Iglesias, Will Middlebrooks, Daniel Nava as well as several veterans as part of a total roster rebuild. It looks like it worked.

Nobody is saying you trade the core 6. But you trade from strength and the only strength this team has is young starting pitching. I doubt you are able to trade Sale so he stays. Anderson is too valuable to trade. Abreu stays since his value to Sox may be more than what he returns in a trade. You shop Q, Rodon and even Fulmer to see what the market offers and trade one to fill some holes on the roster. See what Frazier, Melky, Robertson, Jones and Eaton are worth. I think Lawrie and Shields are also not worth trading due to value. Maybe Robertson and Jones are in the same category

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)
Boston traded Felix Doubront, Andrew Miller ( who they got for Josh Reddick), Jose Iglesias, Will Middlebrooks, Daniel Nava as well as several veterans as part of a total roster rebuild. It looks like it worked.

Nobody is saying you trade the core 6. But you trade from strength and the only strength this team has is young starting pitching. I doubt you are able to trade Sale so he stays. Anderson is too valuable to trade. Abreu stays since his value to Sox may be more than what he returns in a trade. You shop Q, Rodon and even Fulmer to see what the market offers and trade one to fill some holes on the roster. See what Frazier, Melky, Robertson, Jones and Eaton are worth. I think Lawrie and Shields are also not worth trading due to value. Maybe Robertson and Jones are in the same category

Trade the core 6.

At least trade a lot of it.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)

They also had Lester, and now they have Price and spent for Ramirez, Porcello, Sandoval, etc.

The irony is that the low priced additions like Victorino, Napoli and Koji Uehara were the key according to most in 2013. You also have the best season historicallly for a 40 year old in mlb history and $63 million spent on Moncada, not to mention more money for Rusney Castillo.

Not comparable situations at all unless you put Epstein, Cherington or Dombrowski in charge and gave the unlimited budgets. And they were still last 3/4 years, but 2016 is mitigating some of those struggles already.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 06:03 PM)
They also had Lester, and now they have Price and spent for Ramirez, Porcello, Sandoval, etc.

The irony is that the low priced additions like Victorino, Napoli and Koji Uehara were the key according to most in 2013. You also have the best season historicallly for a 40 year old in mlb history and $63 million spent on Moncada, not to mention more money for Rusney Castillo.

Not comparable situations at all unless you put Epstein, Cherington or Dombrowski in charge and gave the unlimited budgets. And they were still last 3/4 years, but 2016 is mitigating some of those struggles already.

No they won it all in 2013 so two down years and back contending again . Agree they are in a different world but the poster asked who has rebuilded w a core of youth in last 10 years. They spent money in free agency and had a farm system bloated w talent.