MLB investigating Padres for hiding health info

southsider2k5

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
I'd actually feel better if the health issue is related to Shields and there was something more that he's pitched through but is impacting him (and would have changed our decision).

I don't recall it from before, but he has looked like he is constantly trying to stretch out his back when he is out there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
I don't recall it from before, but he has looked like he is constantly trying to stretch out his back when he is out there.

Just a reminder that Boston was hot for Shields before the deadline. But Boston press said Red Sox decided against it after seeing his overall drop in velocity on his fastball by I think 2 -3 Mph. It was also noted at the time he was giving up a lot of fly balls and Boston felt he would not be effective in Fenway. So I think if Boston saw he was struggling and passed on him, we don't have much to complain about.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
Just a reminder that Boston was hot for Shields before the deadline. But Boston press said Red Sox decided against it after seeing his overall drop in velocity on his fastball by I think 2 -3 Mph. It was also noted at the time he was giving up a lot of fly balls and Boston felt he would not be effective in Fenway. So I think if Boston saw he was struggling and passed on him, we don't have much to complain about.

Exactly I'm not really sure we have a case as he has made all his starts while being here. But it can't hurt to try to get compensation for it

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
I understand this is frowned upon but we do get a chance to give physical so we should be more upset with ourselves.

Yeah, but in a soft tissue situation, this can show the red flags of things you need to check further. I mean no physical is going to include MRIs on everything, so it is easy to not know something is going on if you don't have the relevant info.

Didn't the Sox say Aaron Rowand played a part in the acquisition? Wouldn't he know if Shields was taking advil and doing stuff for his back?

There is no doubt some buyer's remorse here, but on the other hand, the Padres apparently not playing straight with everyone, to me, should be a huge penalty. Not unlike the hacking case. Deliberately holding out information for better trades is something that should make heads roll and the team to take a huge hit either player-wise or financially with every team they exchanged players. If it is true someone ordered 2 sets of files, whoever ordered it should be in their finals days employed by a major league team.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
Didn't the Sox say Aaron Rowand played a part in the acquisition? Wouldn't he know if Shields was taking advil and doing stuff for his back?

There is no doubt some buyer's remorse here, but on the other hand, the Padres apparently not playing straight with everyone, to me, should be a huge penalty. Not unlike the hacking case. Deliberately holding out information for better trades is something that should make heads roll and the team to take a huge hit either player-wise or financially with every team they exchanged players. If it is true someone ordered 2 sets of files, whoever ordered it should be in their finals days employed by a major league team.

While I realize they are cousins, I wonder if Shields would be that open regarding some of that information and what would Aaron Rowand be actually willing to share / share. I actually hadn't realized they were cousins until you made the post (and I decided to google it). I agree that the Padres should take a pretty significant hit for this (if it proves to be true). And by big hit, each team should essentially have right to undo trade with other repercussions and Padres should also be penalized.

Kyle Glaser @KyleAGlaser Someone in the know told me this is serious enough A.J. Preller, Mike Dee may be forced out by MLB office. We'll see http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17554327/san-diego-padres-face-discipline-hiding-players-medical-information-mlb-database …://http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-mlb-database … 0 retweets 4 likes

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)

If what is being reported is true, that would be the first appropriate action.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
I'm just trying to be consistent with my stance as a 14 year old regarding Sirotka.

I get that the Sox are ultimately responsible, but if a team is intentionally withholding information that is a pretty big deal. Was that actually being said of the Sox and Sirotka?