• Bud Black
    • A.J. Pierzynski
    • Aaron Rowand
    • Jim Thome
    • Dave Martinez
    • Mike Scioscia
    • Other

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
Whoever they decide on, I really hope it's a full cleanse of the coaching staff. The message is stale and they need a lot of new life in there. Coop has run his course, teaching every pitcher a cutter isn't innovative. I haven't seem big improvement from any Sox pitchers in awhile.

Agree there. I'm much more interested in what they'll do with Cooper than who the new manager is going to be. I have no idea how the next manager will be, and can already anticipate annoying posts about "this is what you wanted". But as far as Coop, he's had some successes, but it's time for a fresh start. I hope they have a brand new major league staff.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
This is just whispers so don't take it to the bank but apparently the coaches, other than Coop surprisingly, were acting as if they were on the way out at a Sox charity golf outing a few weeks ago. Steverson specifically.

My only concern with hiring Renteria is that he might be averse to getting rid of Coop if he is offered the manager position. I dont see there being any big shift in attitude in the locker room if this staff isn't wiped clean. Judging by this comment, Coop obviously has gotten comfortable in his place in this organization. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of hiring Black. Former pitcher that emphasizes pitching and can bring a great pitching coach in Balsley, fan of analytics, strong emphasis on clubhouse chemistry, players like him, bad W%, but I think that's largely because the Padres are a f***ing mess.

My guess is that it'd be Renteria. He has managerial experience, he knows the players, he knows the organization, he speaks Spanish, and my understanding is that the Cubs only parted ways with him because Maddon was available. I figured that was the reason they hired Renteria as bench coach in the first place.

I'm not understanding the comments about Cooper. Does he want to leave, or is he rubbing the wrong people the wrong way? His results don't seem to be a problem.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
My guess is that it'd be Renteria. He has managerial experience, he knows the players, he knows the organization, he speaks Spanish, and my understanding is that the Cubs only parted ways with him because Maddon was available. I figured that was the reason they hired Renteria as bench coach in the first place.

I'm not understanding the comments about Cooper. Does he want to leave, or is he rubbing the wrong people the wrong way? His results don't seem to be a problem.

It's not like he's a bad pitching coach, but my feeling is if they're going to change the clubhouse and the leadership, start fresh. We all know Cooper is the manager of the pitching staff...and that could be a part of the current problem. Clean house. Start fresh.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
It's not like he's a bad pitching coach, but my feeling is if they're going to change the clubhouse and the leadership, start fresh. We all know Cooper is the manager of the pitching staff...and that could be a part of the current problem. Clean house. Start fresh.

Why throw the baby out with the bath water? Coop is the one clear-cut positive on the coaching staff right now.

Even with a mid-season bullpen implosion, the Sox are (likely) going to still allow less than 700 runs this season. That's pretty impressive for a team with a disaster #5 starter, no reliable 7th inning reliever, no true LOOGY, and a closer having a below-average year. The Sox have not had anything close to a bad pitching staff since 2007.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
Why throw the baby out with the bath water? Coop is the one clear-cut positive on the coaching staff right now.

Even with a mid-season bullpen implosion, the Sox are (likely) going to still allow less than 700 runs this season. That's pretty impressive for a team with a disaster #5 starter, no reliable 7th inning reliever, no true LOOGY, and a closer having a below-average year.

It's a gamble I hope they make. My hope is the new manager has a stronger grasp on what he wants to do with the pitching staff himself. If Cooper isn't calling the shots like he's used to, there could be some problems. We'll see what happens on October 3rd.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
It's a gamble I hope they make. My hope is the new manager has a stronger grasp on what he wants to do with the pitching staff himself. If Cooper isn't calling the shots like he's used to, there could be some problems. We'll see what happens on October 3rd.

I guarantee you that whoever they'd get to replace Cooper would be a downgrade. If JR is smart, he'll let Coop continue to do his thing and fill out the rest of the coaching staff with people who can improve offensive output.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
I guarantee you that whoever they'd get to replace Cooper would be a downgrade. If JR is smart, he'll let Coop continue to do his thing and fill out the rest of the coaching staff with people who can improve offensive output.

How can you guarantee that? You have absolutely no idea who they are interested in and who would replace him. Who has Coop developed lately? Who has taken the next step? Unless I'm mistaken, Coop is still calling the games and some of the gameplans I've watched this season have been absolutely atrocious.

How can you guarantee that? You have absolutely no idea who they are interested in and who would replace him. Who has Coop developed lately? Who has taken the next step? Unless I'm mistaken, Coop is still calling the games and some of the gameplans I've watched this season have been absolutely atrocious.

Yep and I'm with ya here. It's not clear that Cooper is still an asset. The Sox haven't had the depth of pitching they enjoyed through most of his tenure, not even close really, the past two seasons. It used to be that Cooper was on the regular finding guys like Thornton, Santos, etc and turning them into quality assets. Now he's "finding" guys like Latos, Albers, Shields and others and more often than not they are mediocre at best and downright awful other times.

I don't think he's a bad coach, but he's not untouchable by any means.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
How can you guarantee that? You have absolutely no idea who they are interested in and who would replace him. Who has Coop developed lately? Who has taken the next step?

Seriously?

By my count, among the current roster, Coop gets credit for developing Sale, Quintana, Rodon, and Nate Jones. And if we want to go back a little bit further, you can include Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, and Jenks. And then he got some really nice shorter-term results out of Loaiza, Garland, Contreras, and several others. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better active pitching coach than Cooper.

Unless I'm mistaken, Coop is still calling the games and some of the gameplans I've watched this season have been absolutely atrocious.

It's the fourth week of September and the Sox have only give up about 670 runs (for reference, the Sox gave up 645 runs in 2005). What's been "atrocious" has been the Sox's offense, not their pitching.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
Seriously?

By my count, among the current roster, Coop gets credit for developing Sale, Quintana, Rodon, and Nate Jones. And if we want to go back a little bit further, you can include Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, and Jenks. And then he got some really nice shorter-term results out of Loaiza, Garland, Contreras, and several others. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better active pitching coach than Cooper.

It's the fourth week of September and the Sox have only give up about 670 runs (for reference, the Sox gave up 645 runs in 2005). What's been "atrocious" has been the Sox's offense, not their pitching.

Hell, Miguel Gonzalez. Putnam. Petricka.

Renteria seems highly thought of by many in baseball.

Solid communicator who is bi-lingual, which is an advantage.

wouldn't be that expensive.

Considering how long Dave Martinez has been rumored to be a guy that SOMEBODY would hire and it has never happened, i wonder if he has some baggage or red flags.

Alomar has the ex-Sox qualification that seems to matter, but he was only with the team a few seasons and not a homegrown guy.

Bud Black had a run (two winning seasons in 8 1/2 years at SD) and not won much (although that was also once said about Joe Torre).

I'd like to see them go outside the box and find somebody Beyond that group of names. What about Torey Lovello, Red Sox bench coach, John Russell, Orioles bench coach or Steve Buechele, Rangers' bench coach and a Stanford guy?

Raul Ibanez is another guy that many people tout -- along with Gabe Kapler.

Edited by winninguglyin83

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
I think they'll hire an Hispanic that speaks Spanish. Hopefully someone with major league coaching or minor league managing experience to a 3-year deal.

That's a good point. With the number of Latino players in MLB today, a bilingual manager could be a plus.

Martinez and Alomar both have MLB coaching experience; and they're both outsiders who meet that "former player" prerequisite that seems to matter to this organization these days (though I could personally care less about that).