Physics Question

Ok I have a gun in my right hand, and a bullet in my left. I raise both hands to an equal height. Then simultaneously drop the bullet straight down and fire the gun on a completely horizontal path. Which bullet will hit the ground first, the one I drop straight to the ground, or the one I fire horizontally.

Ok I have a gun in my right hand, and a bullet in my left.  I raise both hands to an equal height.  Then simultaneously drop the bullet straight down and fire the gun on a completely horizontal path.  Which bullet will hit the ground first, the one I drop straight to the ground, or the one I fire horizontally.

If its at equilibrium they will land at the same time...supposedly.

Ok I have a gun in my right hand, and a bullet in my left.  I raise both hands to an equal height.  Then simultaneously drop the bullet straight down and fire the gun on a completely horizontal path.  Which bullet will hit the ground first, the one I drop straight to the ground, or the one I fire horizontally.

In the world of physics, they'd hit at the same time.

9.8 m/s or I think thats what it is in a vacuum.  Hell, I got all that physics crapped mushed up so it could be 7.2 m/s.

9.8 m/s^2 is the rate of gravity at sea level.

Although, in the "real world" with air resistance, I don't know if that would affect either bullet at a different rate, but in a vacuum, a bullet shot from a gun and a bullet dropped from the same height would hit the ground at the exact same time.

9.8 m/s^2 is the rate of gravity at sea level.

Although, in the "real world" with air resistance, I don't know if that would affect either bullet at a different rate, but in a vacuum, a bullet shot from a gun and a bullet dropped from the same height would hit the ground at the exact same time.

Ya in the real world they wouldn't hit at the same time because of wind and gravity.

9.8 m/s or I think thats what it is in a vacuum.  Hell, I got all that physics crapped mushed up so it could be 7.2 m/s.

1549, why not test this by shooting your gun in a vacuum? Get the OSU Athletic Department's ethics guidelines book - a perfect vacuum you can use!

be careful that when the 25¢ bullet falls, some OSU student may try to claim it was worth $22,000 on the insurance payoff...

Well everyone I wrote down same time and got it correct! Soxtalk obviously owns phsyics. Thanks for everyones help, our teacher said she is going to do a demonstration but the bullet will be replaced by a bow and arrow.

CWSOX, next weekend I will head down OSU for a real experiment. I'll follow your advice and alert the insurance agencies of possible frauds.