My way too early off season plan

TheFutureIsNear

Dump Shields however possible (which means just paying him to go away)

Retain M. Gonzalez

Trade Q and Robertson to Boston for Travis Shaw, Eduardo Rodriguez, Rafael Devers, Luis Alexander Basabe, Michael Kopech, and Blake Swihart

I think a trade like this works out great in our favor. There's no question in my mind that we need to trade at least 1 of Sale or Q to rebuild an organization that obviously doesn't have enough talent. A trade like this would add 3 very young and talented prospects into the system to develop while also adding Shaw and Rodriguez to the majors roster as young pieces to build on. Swihart being the wildcard to take a shot on as I'm sure Boston wants him gone. This also adds some payroll flexibility by forcing Boston to take on Robertson's contract as well. I'm sure there will be some outcry because I'm not getting 1 of Boston's big name prospects but I don't think we can sacrifice quantity for 1 big name like Bennitendi or Moncada that will hurt the overall package we can get back.

Free Agent Signings

Nick Hundley

Michael Saunders

Jeremy Hellickson

-Hundley is another shot at adding a vet to stabilize the C position for now, could be 1 of several names on the FA list if you don't like Hundley

-Saunders is talented and relatively young still. Can play good OF D and adds pop as well. He won't be cheap but also won't break the bank.

-Hellickson is a solid vet who can be a stable presence to the rotation. Will come back down to earth a little back in the AL but he should be above average and consistent. Again, shouldn't break the bank either.

C- Hundley/Narvaez

1B- Shaw/Abreu

2B- Sally/Lawrie

SS- Anderson

3B- Frazier

LF- Saunders

CF- Eaton

RF- Melky/Tilson/Swihart

DH- Abreu/Melky

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Shaw

Saunders

Anderson

Hundley

Sally/Lawrie

Tilson/Swihart battle it out for last roster spot on offense. Most likely Tilson because of D.

SP- Sale

SP- Rodon

SP- Hellickson

SP- Rodriguez

SP- Gonzalez

Middle Relief-

Putnam

Petricka

Purke/whoever steps up as the 2nd lefty

Kahnle/Ynoa

Late Inning relief-

Jennings

Jones

Fulmer

Burdi

Just put Fulmer in the pen and let him throw gas. He's not built to be a starter and his mechanics and stuff aren't built for it either. Fulmer/Jones/Burdi could make a dominant force in the pen to shorten games ala the Royals.

Go ahead and tear it apart....

The Sox are gonna dump Robertson and his $11 M on Boston? Not likely. They have Kimbrel for $13 M thru 17'

Burdi and Fullmer as the two critical pieces on the back end of the pen? You may as well concede 17' and go full rebuild by dumping Sale, Q, Frazier, and Cabrera

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)

Retain M. Gonzalez

Trade Q and Robertson to Boston for Travis Shaw, Eduardo Rodriguez, Rafael Devers, Luis Alexander Basabe, Michael Kopech, and Blake Swihart

I think a trade like this works out great in our favor. There's no question in my mind that we need to trade at least 1 of Sale or Q to rebuild an organization that obviously doesn't have enough talent. A trade like this would add 3 very young and talented prospects into the system to develop while also adding Shaw and Rodriguez to the majors roster as young pieces to build on. Swihart being the wildcard to take a shot on as I'm sure Boston wants him gone. This also adds some payroll flexibility by forcing Boston to take on Robertson's contract as well. I'm sure there will be some outcry because I'm not getting 1 of Boston's big name prospects but I don't think we can sacrifice quantity for 1 big name like Bennitendi or Moncada that will hurt the overall package we can get back.

Free Agent Signings

Nick Hundley

Michael Saunders

Jeremy Hellickson

-Hundley is another shot at adding a vet to stabilize the C position for now, could be 1 of several names on the FA list if you don't like Hundley

-Saunders is talented and relatively young still. Can play good OF D and adds pop as well. He won't be cheap but also won't break the bank.

-Hellickson is a solid vet who can be a stable presence to the rotation. Will come back down to earth a little back in the AL but he should be above average and consistent. Again, shouldn't break the bank either.

C- Hundley/Narvaez

1B- Shaw/Abreu

2B- Sally/Lawrie

SS- Anderson

3B- Frazier

LF- Saunders

CF- Eaton

RF- Melky/Tilson/Swihart

DH- Abreu/Melky

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Shaw

Saunders

Anderson

Hundley

Sally/Lawrie

Tilson/Swihart battle it out for last roster spot on offense. Most likely Tilson because of D.

SP- Sale

SP- Rodon

SP- Hellickson

SP- Rodriguez

SP- Gonzalez

Middle Relief-

Putnam

Petricka

Kahnle/Ynoa

Late Inning relief-

Jennings

Jones

Fulmer

Burdi

Just put Fulmer in the pen and let him throw gas. He's not built to be a starter and his mechanics and stuff aren't built for it either. Fulmer/Jones/Burdi could make a dominant force in the pen to shorten games ala the Royals.

Your team for next season would be the worst in baseball. Horrible horrible bullpen and terrible middle relief. And a sub par rotation. We would be the worst team in the AL for sure.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
Your team for next season would be the worst in baseball. Horrible horrible bullpen and terrible middle relief. And a sub par rotation. We would be the worst team in the AL for sure.

Lol what are you talking about? How would adding Shaw and Saunders to the offense possibly make the team worse than it is now? Which isn't close to the worst team. Losing Q hurts a little but additions of Rodriguez and Hellickson to Sale, Rodin and Gonzalez make it a more well rounded rotation than we had for most of this year.

And question for everyone else...what do you guys really think we would get for Frazier and Melky? Because I hate to break it you, but it won't be much. We would get nothing significant for both...combined. If you want to start a rebuild by trading mediocre to slightly above average vets on 1 year deals go right ahead. But it's going to be a LONG rebuild that way. Plus there is always the deadline to trade those guys if things aren't going well. Trading those guys and tanking out this year does nothing unless you also trade Sale, Q, Abreu, and Eaton.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
Lol what are you talking about? How would adding Shaw and Saunders to the offense possibly make the team worse than it is now? Which isn't close to the worst team. Losing Q hurts a little but additions of Rodriguez and Hellickson to Sale, Rodin and Gonzalez make it a more well rounded rotation than we had for most of this year.

Shaw and Saunders simply aren't good. Shaw strikes out far too much. The only attractive number of his is that RBI total, which is solely a result of hitting in the Boston lineup.

If we're gonna buy, let's buy (the very few assets available). If we're gonna sell, let's sell. I've had enough of the halfhearted buying.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)

Retain M. Gonzalez

Free Agent Signings

Nick Hundley

Michael Saunders

Jeremy Hellickson

C- Hundley/Narvaez

1B- Shaw/Abreu

2B- Sally/Lawrie

SS- Anderson

3B- Frazier

LF- Saunders

CF- Eaton

RF- Melky/Tilson/Swihart

DH- Abreu/Melky

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Shaw

Saunders

Anderson

Hundley

Sally/Lawrie

SP- Sale

SP- Rodon

SP- Hellickson

SP- Rodriguez

SP- Gonzalez

Middle Relief-

Putnam

Petricka

Kahnle/Ynoa

Late Inning relief-

Jennings

Jones

Fulmer

Burdi

4 years of Quintana has to bring back Benintendi

That's an interesting package for Q. I think we should opt for quality over quantity though. I'd rather get E Rod, Benintendi, Devers. You figure we let Frazier go or re-sign him to be a 1B/DH for 2018 and bring Devers up to be our 3B starting in 2018.

Edited by soxforlife05

You can't afford to give into the temptation of a watered down package to cover 3-5 spots.

You have to decide on either Moncada or Benitendi and then get back at least one other above average starter.

And Robertson isn't going to be included, unless you want to diminish the return...which would be a typical Sox move financially.

The last thing we need to do is add three more veterans (and even Saunders might be out of their comfortable price range)...but maybe they'll do it simply because Cabrera/Frazier AND at least being able to argue they gave Renteria a halfway legit shot.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)

Retain M. Gonzalez

Free Agent Signings

Nick Hundley

Michael Saunders

Jeremy Hellickson

C- Hundley/Narvaez

1B- Shaw/Abreu

2B- Sally/Lawrie

SS- Anderson

3B- Frazier

LF- Saunders

CF- Eaton

RF- Melky/Tilson/Swihart

DH- Abreu/Melky

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Shaw

Saunders

Anderson

Hundley

Sally/Lawrie

SP- Sale

SP- Rodon

SP- Hellickson

SP- Rodriguez

SP- Gonzalez

Middle Relief-

Putnam

Petricka

Kahnle/Ynoa

Late Inning relief-

Jennings

Jones

Fulmer

Burdi

And another 75 win season seems like Sox would be spinning tires with this.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 06:03 PM)
I wonder if they could make Saladino an Outfielder...stick him in RF and Eaton in CF? Idk, still need good backups though, and he's the best we have.

With a herniated disk in his back Saladino might be through as a player, you just don't know how those will respond even with surgery.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
With a herniated disk in his back Saladino might be through as a player, you just don't know how those will respond even with surgery.

Mark

Depends on the severity and location, of course. Has it been announced that he's having surgery?