2016-17 free agency thread (NON WHITE SOX RELATED)

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
With his lack of positional versatility due to arm injuries, basically he'd be a backup 2b only, and if Frazier or Lawrie were moved you still have Sanchez filling the backup role and he (and Leury) are more flexible at handling multiple positions.

He could work only in the case that you trade both Frazier and Lawrie and prefer him to Sanchez/anyone else on the scrap heap.

Personally, I'd prefer him to Sanchez. But yeah he probably doesn't make sense on this team.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
I can see a very good reason why Micah Johnson is not a good fit for the White Sox. Micah Johnson's best position is 2b, he had arm problems that made an OF spot a pretty poor plan for him and ditto anything on the far side of the field. Our 2b in AAA is...filled.

I'm aware of all that. Still doesn't mean the Sox wouldn't have interest. Nothing wrong with options.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)
Trade them $10k, a bucket of balls and log of chew. That should do it.

Honestly though, see no reason to not give Micah back in the fold.

Seeing some of the other hot garbage we have for middle infield options, I would be OK with claiming him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 10, 2017 -> 11:17 PM)
If there was an opening at second (there could be with a Lawrie or Frazier trade) I could see it. Maybe bring him back and see if he could become backup 2B/OF?

We do not need Johnson at 2B, we want a good defensive infield, he does not fit that description.

I'd see if there was any way possible to make him a LF or CF. He's running out of time. But if you could get him for nothing, it's not like he's blocking good prospects. He doesn't need a great arm. Can't see how his would be any worse than Juan Pierre, or Lance Johnson, or the future HOFer, Tim Raines.

Coco Crisp has had a pretty nice career throwing flyballs back to the infield.

It's a long shot, he's getting old to be a prospect, but for free or next to it, why not?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
I'd see if there was any way possible to make him a LF or CF. He's running out of time. But if you could get him for nothing, it's not like he's blocking good prospects. He doesn't need a great arm. Can't see how his would be any worse than Juan Pierre, or Lance Johnson, or the future HOFer, Tim Raines.

Coco Crisp has had a pretty nice career throwing flyballs back to the infield.

It's a long shot, he's getting old to be a prospect, but for free or next to it, why not?

Toss him in LF at AAA and let him learn.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
Definitely. Signing Holland would also hopefully force Washington to get desperate and trade for Robertson.

The sox will need a deep bullpen with their staff, especially if Q goes. :P

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
Braves and Mariners make another traded. Braves receive: Luiz Gohara and Thomas Burrows (2 lefties). Mariners receive: Mallex Smith and Shae Simmons.

Gohara is a really interesting piece, like him a lot.

http://m.twins.mlb.com/news/article/213152...eek-free-agent/

Twins got sick of the Dodgers lowballing them so now they are keeping Dozier and looking to sign Jose Bautista. I think it could actaully work for them if they become willing to move some of their farm for a pitcher. People sleep on how good Bautista is and the effect he has on a clubhouse.

The Mariners and Dipoto are fun and interesting to watch. He is following a Williams model in terms of moves, but he's making the extra moves to build depth. And he's shooting for speed and defense, accepting some mediocrity in the starting rotation (like the Royals). The Mariners' farm is decent I suppose (I would guess around #20) but he's preserved most of it.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
Greg Holland wants 2 years with an opt out. Seriously, Sox should be all over this guy. Let him rebuild value and deal him off in July.

The problem with that is it's hard to market Robertson/Jones/Holland simultaneously as closers.

Seems that one needs to be moved (Robertson or Jones) to clear the way...since presumably Burdi will be the man beginning in 2018, unless Nate Jones is somehow still around and they want Burdi to break into the majors as a set-up guy first. Not sure about the wisdom of doing that, since he's closed his entire collegiate career.

Addison Reed basically took over the closer's spot as a rookie, as well. Santos had to earn his way there, but his background was different, as he started out as a first round draft pick SS with the DBacks.

Edited by caulfield12