2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
Eh he's a major league platoon/4th OF.

As far as I can recall, the White Sox have not drafted and gotten a starting caliber high school position player to the majors in recent memory

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
As far as I can recall, the White Sox have not drafted and gotten a starting caliber high school position player to the majors in recent memory

joe Crede is last one I can think of.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
Different since 2012? I have my doubts

When is the last time the White Sox took a high school position player and successfully got him to the major leagues?

Yes, it's almost an entirely different development staff and scouting department since then. Can't doubt fact.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
Very poor. How about Ryan Sweeney would he count?

http://www.scout.com/mlb/scouting/story/17...-mock-draft-1-0

New 1st round mock draft from SCout.com

"11. Chicago White Sox - Kyle Wright, RHP, Vanderbilt

Wright has had a rough year for Vanderbilt. He started the year in the running for the top pick and was the number one pitcher on some boards. Here it is just a matter of him being too good of a value to pass up, along with an organization that is one of the best at developing pitchers. They could view this as getting a top five talent at 11. If they can help fix Hansen, then Wright would be easy. The White Sox have so many high ceiling arms, but you can never have enough of them. If you do end up being the rare team with too much starting pitching, then you have the most valuable trade asset in the game. "

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
http://www.scout.com/mlb/scouting/story/17...-mock-draft-1-0

New 1st round mock draft from SCout.com

"11. Chicago White Sox - Kyle Wright, RHP, Vanderbilt

Wright has had a rough year for Vanderbilt. He started the year in the running for the top pick and was the number one pitcher on some boards. Here it is just a matter of him being too good of a value to pass up, along with an organization that is one of the best at developing pitchers. They could view this as getting a top five talent at 11. If they can help fix Hansen, then Wright would be easy. The White Sox have so many high ceiling arms, but you can never have enough of them. If you do end up being the rare team with too much starting pitching, then you have the most valuable trade asset in the game. "

I'd be okay with this despite preferring a position player. Especially if Wright throws a few more games like last week's.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
Well, I suppose Kendall would be acceptable if he were around at 11...

If Kendall falls it will be due to his high K% rate

Hard to argue with Wright if he is on the board at #11

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 04:54 PM)
If Kendall falls it will be due to his high K% rate

Hard to argue with Wright if he is on the board at #11

I get it, you like him. If Wright is still around it will be because of his high ERA, WHIP and diminished K rate. Guys that fall, fall for a reason. It would be hard to argue with any number of guys that are available at 11. Whether it is someone like Kendall, Adell or Wright falling or someone like Haseley or Smith rising up.

Edited by turnin' two

Anyone here have any insight into Brent Rooker? Mississippi State OF, drafted last year as a red-shirt sophmore, a little old for a college player maybe (22), but his numbers are quite eye catching. He is being projected in drafts now, but not necessarily early. Any insight would be appreciated.

.400/.505./.877

16 HR, 16 SB, 20 2B 28/33 BB/K

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...?P=brent-rooker

Thanks in advance!

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 05:17 PM)
I get it, you like him. If Wright is still around it will be because of his high ERA, WHIP and diminished K rate. Guys that fall, fall for a reason. It would be hard to argue with any number of guys that are available at 11. Whether it is someone like Kendall, Adell or Wright falling or someone like Haseley or Smith rising up.

Would definitely fit the trend of Rodon and Hansen falling to them

I would love for Haseley or Kendall to be there at #11 and the Seth Romero to fall to #49 because of make up issues but I doubt that happens. Baz and Gore have picked up a lot of steam recently.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 04:18 PM)
Saw someone said scouts have Kendall with 30 hit tool

According to Eric Longenhagen from Fangraphs, multiple MLB scouts from at least 5 organizations believe he has a 30 hit tool. Other 4 tools are great, but the most important tool has done a 180 this year. Stock is falling

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 04:18 PM)
Saw someone said scouts have Kendall with 30 hit tool

I wasn't too high on him. I thought that he was getting some extra love because he plays for Vanderbilt but after reading that some scouts and teams have his hit tool at 30, I definitely do not want him anywhere near the Sox.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 01:40 AM)
I wasn't too high on him. I thought that he was getting some extra love because he plays for Vanderbilt but after reading that some scouts and teams have his hit tool at 30, I definitely do not want him anywhere near the Sox.

Kendall is poised to fall in the draft due to the strikeouts and questionable hit tool

He still could be a decent prospect, but I'm not touching him #11 overall