2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

Apparently Nick Hostetler followed some White Sox picks on twitter pre-draft last year including Collins and Burdi. These are the guys in MLB.com's top 100 that he follows currently:

#5 Mckenzie Gore LHP HS

#8 Pavin Smith 1B Virginia

#9 Austin Beck OF HS

#12 Shane Baz RHP HS

#14 Adam Haseley OF Virginia

#16 Jake Burger 1B/3B

#19 Alex Lange RHP LSU

#20 Seth Romero LHP Houston

#21 Logan Warmoth SS UNC

#26 Keston Hiura 2B UC IRvine

#27 Wil Crowe RHP SC

#30 Evan White 1B kentucky

#40 Chris Seise SS HS

#48 Clarke Schmidt RHP SC

#49 Brent Rooker MIssissippi State

#52 Tristan Beck RHP Stanford

#79 Taylor Walls SS Florida State

#85 TYler Johnson RHP HS

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
Apparently Nick Hostetler followed some White Sox picks on twitter pre-draft last year including Collins and Burdi. These are the guys in MLB.com's top 100 that he follows currently:

#5 Mckenzie Gore LHP HS

#9 Austin Beck OF HS

#12 Shane Baz RHP HS

#16 Jake Burger 1B/3B

#19 Alex Lange RHP LSU

#21 Logan Warmoth SS UNC

#27 Wil Crowe RHP SC

#40 Chris Seise SS HS

#85 TYler Johnson RHP HS

This is some great outside the box thinking. Love it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
Snagging Haseley and Montes de Oca would definitely be my ideal first two picks.

Not sure how Montes de Oca would be worth a top 50 draft selection?

He's had quite a bit of injury trouble that would make many other -players much better selection in the top few rounds

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)

#5 Mckenzie Gore LHP HS

#9 Austin Beck OF HS

#12 Shane Baz RHP HS

#16 Jake Burger 1B/3B

#19 Alex Lange RHP LSU

#21 Logan Warmoth SS UNC

#27 Wil Crowe RHP SC

#40 Chris Seise SS HS

#85 TYler Johnson RHP HS

BUT DOES HE FOLLOW BEER????

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
BUT DOES HE FOLLOW BEER????

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=draft

MLB.com has released an updated top 100 2017 mlb draft prospect rankings

For what it is worth, we should be able to land a player with a "55" scouting future value at #11 overall

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 1, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
Not sure how Montes de Oca would be worth a top 50 draft selection?

He's had quite a bit of injury trouble that would make many other -players much better selection in the top few rounds

I'm a Mizzou homer. Objectively, he'd be a good third pick

MLB.com Mock Draft

11. White Sox

Callis: D.L. Hall, LHP, Valdosta (Ga.) HS. Though Gore has passed him as the Draft's best high school southpaw, Hall has been as good as advertised and would give Chicago yet another high-ceiling starter.

Mayo: Faedo. Minor knee issues kept Faedo out of fall ball and, as a result, he started the spring slowly, coming on little by little. His dominant sophomore season is still in every team's collective memory bank.

Callis has Haseley going #10 to the Angels

Callis: Haseley. Haseley is soaring up Draft boards, especially with analytics-heavy clubs who love his .399/.491/.680 slash line with nearly twice as many walks (32) as strikeouts (17).

Mayo has Haseley going #7 to the Diamondbacks

Mayo: Adam Haseley, OF, Virginia. It's possible teammate Smith goes above him, but Haseley does have more athleticism and the potential to play up the middle in center field, not to mention his very good performance at the plate this spring.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
If you are rebuilding, why are you looking for players who are closest to the majors? That doesn't make any sense to me. The Sox need to add as much talent into their system as they possibly can. So that means they should be looking at guys with high ceilings, Adell certainly has one of the biggest.

Much lower bust rate when guys are closer to the majors. Look at what the Cubs have done in their drafts since Theo took over 2012 - HS OF, 2013 College 3B, 2014 College C, 2015 College OF.

The 2012 draft was a terrible draft for college bats with Zunino, Zimmer, and Naquin the only three taken in the first twenty two picks.

The high school position players are supposedly a big weakness in this years draft. Adell is a guy with big time contact issues that will only get worse as he sees professional level breaking balls. If Hunter Greene were to slip to the Sox, than we could talk about players with high ceilings, but the Sox shouldn't go after ceiling for the sake of having players with ceiling. The Sox need good baseball players, not toolboxes that can't hit.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ May 5, 2017 -> 01:32 AM)
My gut has officially decided to go with OF Adam Haseley.

I really want to go with Alex Faedo from the pitching side, but I just feel like the Sox will target a college OF bat.

I'd be thrilled with either. I admittedly don't watch college baseball much. But I still am a sucker for intangibles, and I really respect the experience Faedo has received pitching weekend games on a team expected to contend for a WS title. It's one of hte reasons I still believe in Fulmer and think he has been able to evolve so quickly as a pitcher.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 5, 2017 -> 08:10 AM)
Baseball America update on Jordan Adell's season

Adell is slashing .538/.640/1.436 with 21 HRs. There's video in the link of his recent three homer game. The pitching he's facing in this game doesn't appear to be any good at all so take it for what it's worth.

Remember when people were down on him?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 7, 2017 -> 06:23 PM)
If not yet apparent by his recent performance, Wright has righted the ship.

John Manuel @johnmanuelba

Quotes I got from a scout who saw Wright: sick, stupid, unreal. Sounds good!

He'll be long gone before 11, but at least it pushes someone down

BA article on Keston Hiura.

If Haseley, Smith, Lewis and Beck are all off the board at 11, what would you think about reaching for Hiura instead of taking a pitcher? He may not technically be the BPA at that point, but he's about as sure of a thing as there is as a hitter, and I'm not overly concerned that he won't be able to play competent defense when healthy. I think he might be more valuable to the organization at that point than a projectable arm.

Edited by Buehrlesque

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ May 9, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
BA article on Keston Hiura.

If Haseley, Smith, Lewis and Beck are all off the board at 11, what would you think about reaching for Hiura instead of taking a pitcher? He may not technically be the BPA at that point, but he's about as sure of a thing as there is as a hitter, and I'm not overly concerned that he won't be able to play competent defense when healthy. I think he might be more valuable to the organization at that point than a projectable arm.

I have no idea what position Hiura will play. There's also not really a scenario in which he's the BPA.

Lets pretend that Hunter Greene, Brendan McKay, Kyle Wright, Royce Lewis and JB Bukauskus will be gone no matter what. That still leaves 2 of: Mackenzie Gore, Pavin Smith, Adam Haseley, Austin Beck, Jeren kendall, Jordon Adell, and Alex Faedo for the Sox to choose from. I didn't even mention HS LHP DL Hall or RHP Shane Baz either and both would be legit options. Sox are in pretty good shape.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 9, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
I have no idea what position Hiura will play. There's also not really a scenario in which he's the BPA.

Lets pretend that Hunter Greene, Brendan McKay, Kyle Wright, Royce Lewis and JB Bukauskus will be gone no matter what. That still leaves 2 of: Mackenzie Gore, Pavin Smith, Adam Haseley, Austin Beck, Jeren kendall, Jordon Adell, and Alex Faedo for the Sox to choose from. I didn't even mention HS LHP DL Hall or RHP Shane Baz either and both would be legit options. Sox are in pretty good shape.

If a grouping of relatively equal rated players occurs is it likely you take whoever will cut a deal so that you can get some money to use latter? Not sure how common deal making is done beyond the first couple picks.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 9, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)

I agree Hiura will not be the BPA at 11 regardless of who goes in front of him, but while I am typically not a fan of the underslot type picks, I think it would be worth looking into if the Sox believe in Hiura's bat. That is all assuming, of course, Smith, Haseley, Beck and Kendall are all gone, and the Sox agree a high floor hitter is more valuable in their circumstance than arms like Gore or Faedo.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ May 9, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
I agree Hiura will not be the BPA at 11 regardless of who goes in front of him, but while I am typically not a fan of the underslot type picks, I think it would be worth looking into if the Sox believe in Hiura's bat. That is all assuming, of course, Smith, Haseley, Beck and Kendall are all gone, and the Sox agree a high floor hitter is more valuable in their circumstance than arms like Gore or Faedo.

I don't think Sox would pass on Gore under any circumstances and I could see Faedo as well honestly. Pitcher, hitter, doesn't matter. Take the best player.

How the Big Board or the top 100 draft prospects has been shaping up I think the Sox can't afford to miss on their first pick and should target a college player in the first round, hopefully Haseley, Smith or Faedo are still around. Not really sold on any of the prep players in the first round, Addell is intriguing but the recent failure to develop Hawkins would cause me to shy away from him. There are also some quality prep players that should be available for our second pick, notably Garrett Mitchell, M.J. Melendez & Connor Usleton have some decent upside and play premium positions.