2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

Just watched video of Kendall, didn't see anything super concerning in his swing despite a few here mentioning issues, though maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for since I've always had problems identifying a "hitch" in a swing. Further, I think his bat speed and control would help him to negate any swing flaws. The big problem I saw with Kendall, though, was pitch recognition. He swings at way too many bad pitches, which is what led to every strikeout I saw. If the White Sox think they can make him a more discerning hitter, he might be worth drafting.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

watched a lot of Kendall the past few years. Didn't see as many games this year as normal, but probably saw almost half.

I think he's a better athlete than a ball player. Vandy does something called the Omaha challenge every year, which is a cross fit type competition in the offseason that Kendall won as a freshman, which should tell you a lot. He's from a small town in Wisconsin not very far from where I live, which I think limited his recruiting.

Bat: surprising power which is bigger than his frame. You don't look at him and expect big pop, but I'm always surprised at not just the quantity of his HRs, but also how far he hits them. His swing is smooth and easy, almost looks like he under swings at times. Not sure how the power will project at the next level, but it's enough for 15 Hr a year I think. As is well documented he has big swing and miss issues. Looks like he guesses a lot, which leads him to look awful one pitch, then hit a gap shot the next. Pretty much a dead pull hitter. will probably not hit for much average at next level. I would think best case scenario is a .270ish hitter. Has some on base skills, but certainly not gonna confuse him for Zack Collins. Plus or plus-plus runner with elite speed.

Defense: so hard for me to judge watching on tv, but his range is really good. True 70 runner at least. I'm told he gets good jumps on the ball. Only played center 1 year because Bryan Reynolds had been the established CFer when Kendall arrived. Jeren played right the other 2 years. His arm is adequate but probably fringe for right. Word is he propects as above average in center, and given his speed and athleticism, I believe it

Overall: I think best case is a .270/.330 hitter with 15 HR, plus runner with 25 -30 SBs, and plus defense in center or left. Kind of a carl Crawford type if you will. Certainly the hit tool has question marks and he could never make the show

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 28, 2017 -> 05:19 PM)
Just watched video of Kendall, didn't see anything super concerning in his swing despite a few here mentioning issues, though maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for since I've always had problems identifying a "hitch" in a swing. Further, I think his bat speed and control would help him to negate any swing flaws. The big problem I saw with Kendall, though, was pitch recognition. He swings at way too many bad pitches, which is what led to every strikeout I saw. If the White Sox think they can make him a more discerning hitter, he might be worth drafting.

Here is a guy analyzing his swing

He has a good wrist snap which gives him power but the snap is out front after he gets extended so his power is only to pull and he doesn't have much room for error.

Basically he does the old school swing were you first bring the knob around by extending the arms and then you whip the bat forward really fast like a bullwhip using the hands. That gives you good batspeed but only if you hit it out front.

Nowadays coaches teach to have that whip deeper in the zone so that the bat head gets down on plane early and you have more room for error and get the ball in the air to all fields.

Edited by GermanSock

If their preference is a college hitter, Adam Haseley, Jeren Kendall, Pavin Smith, Jake Burger, Evan White, and Keston Hiura all in that range. I'd be good with any of the 4 OF's including HS bats Jprdon Adell (Who Sox are very familiar with) and Austin Beck.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 29, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
If their preference is a college hitter, Adam Haseley, Jeren Kendall, Pavin Smith, Jake Burger, Evan White, and Keston Hiura all in that range. I'd be good with any of the 4 OF's including HS bats Jprdon Adell (Who Sox are very familiar with) and Austin Beck.

On that note, I've seen Keston Hiura projected in the 15ish range, anyone a fan of picking him?

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ May 29, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
On that note, I've seen Keston Hiura projected in the 15ish range, anyone a fan of picking him?

Very much a fan of picking Hiura. He brings what the org has the most trouble developing: a bat.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 29, 2017 -> 10:24 PM)
Very much a fan of picking Hiura. He brings what the org has the most trouble developing: a bat.

Pretty nice college stats. Slugging % of .693 and OB % of .567. Doesn't seem like a typical white Sox 1st round pick though.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 28, 2017 -> 06:44 PM)
Beginning to feel that you if Haseley isn't there, they're gonna take Kendall. And he's gonna be a divisive pick

I want nothing to do with Kendall--his stats are underwhelming, he's shown no growth over his career at Vandy and the K rate is a huge red flag. In fact, he reminds me a bit of Jared Mitchell. I can only hope that the Sox maintain last year's focus on college hitters who have shown at least some level of plate discipline and production (Collins, Fischer, Call) and are taking long looks at Hasely, Burger, Hiura and maybe Even White if they decide to go for a college bat.

Edited by Dizzy Sox

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ May 29, 2017 -> 10:15 PM)
Pretty nice college stats. Slugging % of .693 and OB % of .567. Doesn't seem like a typical white Sox 1st round pick though.

He seems pretty typical of the type of picks the White Sox made in 2016.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ May 29, 2017 -> 11:54 PM)
I want nothing to do with Kendall--his stats are underwhelming, he's shown no growth over his career at Vandy and the K rate is a huge red flag. In fact, he reminds me a bit of Jared Mitchell. I can only hope that the Sox maintain last year's focus on college hitters who have shown at least some level of plate discipline and production (Collins, Fischer, Call) and are taking long looks at Hasely, Burger, Hiura and maybe Even White if they decide to go for a college bat.

I would actually argue that Jeren Kendall has a much better shot at being a solid big leaguer than Alex Call or Jameson Fisher. He has 70-80 speed, + arm, + glove, + bat speed, and + power. If he didn't strikeout too much, he'd be a top 3 pick. I'm not really sure any of those guys you listed are worth the $4 million price tag.

Keith Law is mocking Kendall to the Sox today:

11. Chicago White Sox

Jeren Kendall, OF

Vanderbilt

White Sox GM Rick Hahn met with Kendall last week. This would be a nervy pick, like taking Alec Hansen in the second round last year (he was a likely top-of-draft guy who fell due to performance, not injury), but with the higher risk of taking Kendall at 11 when there are lots of good college bats such as Logan Warmoth still on the board.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
I would actually argue that Jeren Kendall has a much better shot at being a solid big leaguer than Alex Call or Jameson Fisher. He has 70-80 speed, + arm, + glove, + bat speed, and + power. If he didn't strikeout too much, he'd be a top 3 pick. I'm not really sure any of those guys you listed are worth the $4 million price tag.

For orgs that have had a history of developing guys with a lack of plate discipline, its a valid risk worth taking. For the White Sox, a guy comes into the system with issues, and leaves with issues.

Hiura could be a good pick if he didn't have the elbow issues. Do you draft him and immediately put him under TJ surgery? Do you relegate him to 1B instead? Could do worse with this pick.

Evan White is just underwhelming for me. He's very good defensively, but is his power ever going to develop?

I would be thrilled with Pavin Smith. He's solid defensively at 1B, and has a beautiful swing and eye at the plate. His power has also developed while hitting in a pitchers park at UVA. He continued his success in the Cape Cod league as well with wooden bats. I think he would be a fast-track guy that could be part of the rebuild in 2 years.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:24 AM)
For orgs that have had a history of developing guys with a lack of plate discipline, its a valid risk worth taking. For the White Sox, a guy comes into the system with issues, and leaves with issues.

Hiura could be a good pick if he didn't have the elbow issues. Do you draft him and immediately put him under TJ surgery? Do you relegate him to 1B instead? Could do worse with this pick.

Evan White is just underwhelming for me. He's very good defensively, but is his power ever going to develop?

I would be thrilled with Pavin Smith. He's solid defensively at 1B, and has a beautiful swing and eye at the plate. His power has also developed while hitting in a pitchers park at UVA. He continued his success in the Cape Cod league as well with wooden bats. I think he would be a fast-track guy that could be part of the rebuild in 2 years.

I think with hiura it is good that he is a 2b. If he played third or short I would expect worried about the arm more but a 2b doesn't have to throw that far. For position players the recovery is only like 6 to 9 months or so.

You could draft him, let him

Dh in rookie ball for two months and then have the surgery so that he his ready to play second in June next year. Not that much developement time lost.

Imo it is important that they get up the middle talent. You can always find a 1b that can hit some but up the middle guys that can hit are rare. Plus you can always move an up the middle guy to a corner but not vice versa.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2017 -> 07:11 AM)
So you (the collective anyone on the board) would take Evan White over Pavin Smith?

Burger and Hiura too?

I'd take Smith but I think he'll be gone. Power hitters who don't strike out are rare, especially if they're left handed. I guess my order for college hitters would be:

1) McKay

2) Haseley

3) Smith

4) Hiura

5) Kendall

6) Burger

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)

Of course Kendall has a better shot--that's why he'll go in the 1st round and Call and Fisher went in the 3rd and 4th respectively. Neither of them are prospects worthy of that kind of bonus for the same reason. That doesn't mean that Kendall has a higher likelihood of succeeding than others forecast to go in the top half of the 1st round, someone with, say, less speed but a much better hit tool (i.e. Burger).

Here's the thing, and it gets proven time after time after time: precious few batters whiff as much as Kendall has throughout a sustained period but subsequently find plate discipline or learn to succeed despite high K rates. It just doesn't happen. Someone asked earlier in this thread if anyone has gone on to have a good career despite K'ing a third of the time in college and...if there has been it's news to me.

You can try to teach hitters how to have a better approach at the plate or how to be more selective or to layoff of a certain pitch but it is very, very hard to 'learn' how to make consistent contact. Maybe it's a hand-eye coordination issue, I don't claim to know. But every year someone comes around who looks like Roy Hobbs crossed with Willie Mays Hays on paper except for the teensy issue that they just aren't able to barrel up a baseball with any kind of regularity. And every year teams pick those types of players only to watch them K every third PA once they reach a level where the pitchers locate solid breaking pitches with any kind of consistency.

I get the temptation though. Watch Courtney Hawkins take BP--he can be a monster, an absolute beast, with a strong arm and very good speed for a guy his size. Jared Mitchell was like that too but faster. It must be frustrating as hell to be a such a great athlete but just not able to hit the damned ball.

Ironically it isn't all that uncommon to find pitchers with big arms who stink up college for whatever reason and then wind up having solid pro careers. Alec Hansen is one player heading down that path in fact.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:06 PM)
I'd take Smith but I think he'll be gone. Power hitters who don't strike out are rare, especially if they're left handed. I guess my order for college hitters would be:

1) McKay

2) Haseley

3) Smith

4) Hiura

5) Kendall

6) Burger

Gosh, I have to say, I would be pretty surprised if Hiura went before Kendall. Kendall has several ++ scouting ratings, while playing a premium defensive position. Hiura can certainly hit, and has shown a great eye this season. He also may need TJ surgery and doesn't have a defensive position. I think those factors will scare some people off. I would agree with your first 3 (hope I'm wrong and Haseley is there for the Sox) but I would say Kendall, Burger, Hiura.

But, who knows. Crazy stuff always happens in the MLB draft, and maybe I am over stressing the importance of Hiura's injury. Obviously it hasn't hampered his hitting ability at all.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/reports/compare.asp

Kind of fun. Both with some impressive numbers.

When's the last time a "true" or least projected 2B (like Hiura) went in the Top 10-12 picks in the first round?

Who the hell is Warmoth? Is Law just trying to be a contrarian with all of his notes about the White Sox? Sign him for peanuts and then allocate the rest of the money to guys at #2/3/4/5???

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (turnin' two @ May 30, 2017 -> 09:07 PM)
Gosh, I have to say, I would be pretty surprised if Hiura went before Kendall. Kendall has several ++ scouting ratings, while playing a premium defensive position. Hiura can certainly hit, and has shown a great eye this season. He also may need TJ surgery and doesn't have a defensive position. I think those factors will scare some people off. I would agree with your first 3 (hope I'm wrong and Haseley is there for the Sox) but I would say Kendall, Burger, Hiura.

But, who knows. Crazy stuff always happens in the MLB draft, and maybe I am over stressing the importance of Hiura's injury. Obviously it hasn't hampered his hitting ability at all.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/reports/compare.asp

Kind of fun. Both with some impressive numbers.

I wasn't rating them on talents, I was rating them on how I'd take them. Even with the TJ surgery, Hiura seems much less risky to me than Kendall. I'd rather have a 2B or corner OF who I can easily project to the middle of my order than a CF whose bat I have to hide in the lineup, if he even makes it to MLB. I think Kendall's pitch recognition is bad and the cause of his high K rate. It's also something I don't see the White Sox improving. Based on that, I might even take Burger over Kendall.

Not going to pretend I've done a bunch of scouting on these prospects, but I'm tired of + tool prospects that isn't a hit tool. Also don't care about premium positions for that matter. Let's get a guy who has a good shot of being a good professional hitter for once? This organization has a serious lack of them. If Burger or Hiura are the pick I won't be upset, although I'd prefer 1 of the kids from Virginia if possible.