2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
I really really like Austin Beck. Doesn't sound like he will be the guy, but love the upside.

Fangraphs on Beck: "But he has among the loudest tools in the entire draft including the class' best bat speed, plus raw power projection and a plus arm. If he hits he's a star, but the risk is high."

More on Beck:

The extremely respected David Rawnsley at Perfect Game is not a person who falls victim to hype, yet he had this to say about Beck:

“. . .the most impressive thing about Beck when I saw him was his bat and offensive profile. His hitting approach is outstanding, with a balanced set up and directional stride at the plate, ideal hand position with a calm and relaxed load and as good of lower half torque and whip as this scout has seen in a long time. The raw bat speed is extreme, absolute highest level. . .Beck hits to all fields due to his balance and ability to wait on the ball and very consistently squares the ball up.

The popular comparison in the scouting community for North Carolina's fast-rising outfielder Austin Beck has been Mike Trout, which this scout has heard three different times in the last few weeks. It seemed a bit presumptuous to compare an 18-year old who has a short a resume as Beck to the game's best player, to be honest, but after seeing Beck play in person in late March this scout began to understand where those scouts were coming from."

There was a rumor on one of the sites that the Braves were targeting Beck on an underslot deal. A lot of the same questions with Kendall, though there is even more risk in his hit tool as it sounds like he struggles with mediocre breaking stuff. Tough to know if that is because he lacks reps or if it is a legit concern.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 06:19 PM)
Is this the first time you've seen him?

Live yes, watched every video possible on YouTube. As I've said on here lately, he swings and misses as just a ridiculous rate on the videos. He's a hard pass for me

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Live yes, watched every video possible on YouTube. As I've said on here lately, he swings and misses as just a ridiculous rate on the videos. He's a hard pass for me

Kendall is not seemingly our first choice, but if he can improve his contact you could be looking at a really good player. He has solid pop, great speed, good arm and good defense.

Nearly every prospect will carry a certain level of risk, but Kendall's potential upside is tough to pass on.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)

Who interests you?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Kendall is not seemingly our first choice, but if he can improve his contact you could be looking at a really good player. He has solid pop, great speed, good arm and good defense.

Nearly every prospect will carry a certain level of risk, but Kendall's potential upside is tough to pass on.

Not Soxtalks, but as far as I know, he is the only prospect that has been reported to have met with Hahn.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
It could have also been that Kendall was the only one who leaked to the media that he had met with the White Sox.

Yeah, there are a lot of games that can be played with the leaks of who a team is in on and who they aren't. But with that news and the near unanimous pick of Kendall to the Sox in the most recent round of mock drafts, someone is feeding something to scouts that the White Sox are in on Kendall. Could be a distraction, but when there is a lot of consensus among industry scouts, it usually turns out to be true. Similar to what happened with Moniak in the week up to the draft last year and what is seemingly happening with Kyle Wright.

Hahn could certainly have leaked it to get a team in front of them to bite and to try and get someone else to slide, or Kendall could be using it to signal the minimum he is willing to take from a bonus perspective we'll all find out soon enough.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 07:08 PM)
Who interests you?

Haseley and Burger are for sure, but want to watch more of everyone this weekend. One thing about Kendall is his swing looks like Beltran without Beltran's body control to adjust

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
Haseley and Burger are for sure, but want to watch more of everyone this weekend. One thing about Kendall is his swing looks like Beltran without Beltran's body control to adjust

Given the other options, this might be one year where I would be willing to take a risk on a guy like Kendall more than other years.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
Yeah, there are a lot of games that can be played with the leaks of who a team is in on and who they aren't. But with that news and the near unanimous pick of Kendall to the Sox in the most recent round of mock drafts, someone is feeding something to scouts that the White Sox are in on Kendall. Could be a distraction, but when there is a lot of consensus among industry scouts, it usually turns out to be true. Similar to what happened with Moniak in the week up to the draft last year and what is seemingly happening with Kyle Wright.

Hahn could certainly have leaked it to get a team in front of them to bite and to try and get someone else to slide, or Kendall could be using it to signal the minimum he is willing to take from a bonus perspective we'll all find out soon enough.

Or it could be Kendall's camp leaking to get someone ahead to draft him even higher, to push up his signing bonus chances even more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
Or it could be Kendall's camp leaking to get someone ahead to draft him even higher, to push up his signing bonus chances even more.

The Sox meeting with Kendall could just be due diligence? Sox are likely looking at drafting a college player in the first round and I can see them going high school in the second round

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
Given the other options, this might be one year where I would be willing to take a risk on a guy like Kendall more than other years.

Same.

After watching Tim develop (even with his distaste for walks), I have a feeling that the Sox could turn Kendall into a productive major leaguer.

And then of course, if he hits his ceiling, having an OF with Kendall in center, Robert in right and maybe Call in LF would be a joy to watch.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 09:40 PM)

Totally understand and can see why they would be so intrigued

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)

I'm not sure I get this, surely that team couldn't believe he'll fall to second.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
I'm not sure I get this, surely that team couldn't believe he'll fall to second.

If he can talk someone in the top 10 of picking him ahead of the Sox at #11, that is a nice monetary difference for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 05:10 PM)
If he can talk someone in the top 10 of picking him ahead of the Sox at #11, that is a nice monetary difference for him.

True, but I guess I don't understand how say the Angels drafting at 10 would say "The ChiSox are taking Kendall at 11! No way! We are gonna take him first even though we were planning on taking Beck instead of him, but since the Sox want Kendall, we will take him to spite them."

Or something like that.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Jun 2, 2017 -> 06:25 PM)
True, but I guess I don't understand how say the Angels drafting at 10 would say "The ChiSox are taking Kendall at 11! No way! We are gonna take him first even though we were planning on taking Beck instead of him, but since the Sox want Kendall, we will take him to spite them."

Or something like that.

Yeah this. They could just take him if they want him.