2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have concerns with Alex Faedo making it as a starter. Mechanics aren't very ideal for a starter. Also coming off knee surgery on both legs. Stuff regresses the further he gets in the game and 2nd/3rd time around the lineup. I know he's been pitching better for LSU as he's had more recovery time from the surgeries. Too many red flags to use the #11 pick on a possible reliever. We already did that with Carson Fulmer.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 11, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
Here's Keith Law's 1st Mock Draft: http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7049

He has the Sox taking Pavin Smith at #11 with Faedo and Kendall on the board. I'm not sure they'd do that.

Kendall is falling pretty fast due to the strikeouts that will likely only get worse when facing more advanced pitching

I wouldn't hate Pavin Smith as a selection at #11. He is a pretty safe prospect and is very hard to strike out.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 11, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
Here's Keith Law's 1st Mock Draft: http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7049

He has the Sox taking Pavin Smith at #11 with Faedo and Kendall on the board. I'm not sure they'd do that.

Are there any success stories with hitters who struck out as much as Kendall has in college turning it around in the pros?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 11, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
Kendall is falling pretty fast due to the strikeouts that will likely only get worse when facing more advanced pitching

I wouldn't hate Pavin Smith as a selection at #11. He is a pretty safe prospect and is very hard to strike out.

I'm very okay with a Pavin Smith selection. I'd still prefer Haseley, but entirely feasible he's gone before 11.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 11, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
Are there any success stories with hitters who struck out as much as Kendall has in college turning it around in the pros?

No idea. Good CF defense though and 80 grade speed. I think it's worth finding out. I'm just not a big fan of Smith. I don't like 1B that don't hit for big power. He's got a great hit tool. He's a 1B only prospect though that might have 20 home run power. There are other guys I'd rather have.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 11, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
No idea. Good CF defense though and 80 grade speed. I think it's worth finding out. I'm just not a big fan of Smith. I don't like 1B that don't hit for big power. He's got a great hit tool. He's a 1B only prospect though that might have 20 home run power. There are other guys I'd rather have.

The tools are there, but I'd be very worried that Kendall wouldn't hit well enough to get past AA ball. Sox fans are still sore about Courtney Hawkins and we cannot afford to miss on the #11 overall while rebuilding.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 11, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
I'm just not a big fan of Smith. I don't like 1B that don't hit for big power. He's got a great hit tool. He's a 1B only prospect though that might have 20 home run power. There are other guys I'd rather have.

Neither am I. Hate taking any 1B that high. Especially when we are gonna get Beer next year

QUOTE (bmags @ May 11, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
http://www.hardballtimes.com/how-many-stri...ts-is-too-many/

If you don't want to feel better you can read this.

According to that article, Kendall should be out of the first round due to having a 26% k rate this season being indicative of future contact issues.

His bat scares me too much to draft in the top half of the first round.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 11, 2017 -> 07:02 PM)
7 to the DBacks. He's my guy but looking unlikely he gets to us with the lack of college bats.

I am warming on Smith just because I am cooling on others. The extent of certainty in Smith's bat allows me to look past that he's a 1B.

KLaw is extremely down on Kendall, as am I. Does anyone actually think he's the type of player the Sox could develop

QUOTE (beautox @ May 12, 2017 -> 04:51 PM)
Obviously would love Haseley, but regardless I think the sox take a college player possibly even under slot with Burger.

I love stockpiling arms, but our system is badly in need of some bats

Outside of Moncada, Collins and Basabe there is really not much in the way of hitting

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2017 -> 11:54 PM)
Thoughts on Rooker with 2nd round pick?

Our second round pick is 49th overall, and currently MLB.com and BA have Rooker rated the 49th and 64th best player, respectively, in the Draft. I would love him in the second round, but I have a feeling he won't last until 49. That bat has been too productive this year and he has a track record of success in the summer leagues with wood bats, showing that his power will translate to professional baseball. MLB.com also says he could be a passable LF or RF.

If he's there in Round 2, I don't think the Sox could pass on such a high-quality bat.

Robert/Hasley/Rooker would be a nice trio to add to the system in a two-month period. One can dream...

Edited by maggsmaggs