2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2017 -> 12:58 AM)
NO MORE PITCHERS, PLEASE...pick up some more those of those guys (secondary pieces) in the June/July/August trade market. The pitching equivalents of Nicky Delmonico.

You pick players that can become starters. If you trade Q, the depth at starting pitcher gets very suspect with Rodon being a question mark.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2017 -> 08:23 PM)
I'll take that bet.

Haha there's usually one guy that many have a consenus on every year as a top 10 pick who happens to fall. I'm gonna say he's the guy. Hopefully it's not because of an injury *knock on wood*.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 23, 2017 -> 07:32 PM)
Haha there's usually one guy that many have a consenus on every year as a top 10 pick who happens to fall. I'm gonna say he's the guy. Hopefully it's not because of an injury *knock on wood*.

See: Alec Hansen

Yeah, Chris Beck would be another one, from where he started on draft lists.

Let's say (for the moment) we're being pessimistic and Giolito/Fulmer end up in the pen...and Q is traded (assume at least one of those guys coming back is probably another pitcher).

That leaves Rodon (iffy until proven otherwise), Shields (until traded), Reynaldo Lopez, Kopech and ??? as the 2018 rotation.

Dunning and Hansen are at least another year away. God knows what happens with Covey. Or Adams.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2017 -> 08:27 PM)
You pick players that can become starters. If you trade Q, the depth at starting pitcher gets very suspect with Rodon being a question mark.

Teams ALWAYS need more pitching. I know our system needs position players, but you truly can never have too much pitching depth. Injuries occur so frequently that having a deep system can allow you to be competitive for the long haul.

We should be looking to acquire the best prospects possible, regardless of position.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 23, 2017 -> 07:58 PM)
Weird feeling/prediction. I think MacKenzie Gore drops out of the top 10. No basis on it, just a gut feeling.

Pretty much a lock Gore goes in the top 8 at this point I would say

I'd be pretty surprised if he was on the board at #11, and I'd think the White Sox would select him

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2017 -> 08:57 PM)
Heard something interesting about Adell on BA podcast. A scout said best pitcher he faced in hs this year might have been able to pitch at the Juco level

I truly hate myself for saying this but how good do you think the pitchers Trout faced were in smalltown Jersey? He's been in multiple showcases that were the reason for his helium initially.

I think that stuff is overthought.

I know C Hawkins and all but this draft seems kinda meh, and we don't have a surplus of power after AAA in our system. I'd be happy with Addell but I don't think we draft him.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 24, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
I truly hate myself for saying this but how good do you think the pitchers Trout faced were in smalltown Jersey? He's been in multiple showcases that were the reason for his helium initially.

I think that stuff is overthought.

I know C Hawkins and all but this draft seems kinda meh, and we don't have a surplus of power after AAA in our system. I'd be happy with Addell but I don't think we draft him.

Or that Abreu/Robert saw in Cuba.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)

Lots of concern over his mechanics and injuries he's already had

Those guys were pretty good. I agree with their statement s about his lower body. He creates a great deal of passive valgus at his right knee. He has far too much trunk flexion early on. The Sox would take of that with their "standing tall" philosophy. I disagree a little with the elbow position concern.

i wouldn't be too worried about this guy. It's all very correctable especially with a professional strengthening program.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 24, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
Any chance of the White Sox drafting Keston Hiura? Seems to be a polished hitter who should find a home in the OF. What are the knocks on him?

I cant say I'm an expert or anything, but it sounds like we can get a much better player at 11. Whether its a pitcher or college hitter, there will be something better than him available for us. He would be quite a reach...

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ May 24, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
I cant say I'm an expert or anything, but it sounds like we can get a much better player at 11. Whether its a pitcher or college hitter, there will be something better than him available for us. He would be quite a reach...

That's kind of what I'm asking. What makes him a reach and these other players "something better"?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 24, 2017 -> 04:07 PM)
That's kind of what I'm asking. What makes him a reach and these other players "something better"?

He hasn't played the field this year due to an arm issue that may or may not prevent him from ever playing the field. That's the main issue plus the lack of a clear position even if he can play somewhere.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 23, 2017 -> 08:32 PM)

I hope you are right though. I'd love Gore.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 24, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
He hasn't played the field this year due to an arm issue that may or may not prevent him from ever playing the field. That's the main issue plus the lack of a clear position even if he can play somewhere.

The way his bat is talked about, it might be worth the risk of ending up with a DH only. I'd take an Edgar Martinez type player.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
Why isn't Burger ranked higher? Has some great stats

If for no other reason than the promotional tie-in to Burger King, BK Doubles/Triples...so many directions to go with that.

Come to think of it, BK has never done that much sports advertising, maybe the championships, Super Bowl, etc., but not in stadium advertising typically.