2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
Smith has had a strong season, but highly doubtful that a college 1B would be selected #1 overall. I don't believe that it has happened before

Adrian Gonzalez was a prep 1B but a 1B none the less. Same for Harold Baines.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
Who could blame them. No way I'd go HS pitcher #1 after the 2014 draft.

Look at all the issues with Tyler Kolek.

From the Twins' history, you have Prior (granted, a collegian) vs. Mauer, which worked out extremely well for Minnesota the first half of his career.

Colt Griffin and Luke Hochevar also come to mind. Hochevar was drafted first overall out of Fort Worth in 2006.

Just watching the NC State vs UNC game now.

Not overly impressed by Jb Bukauskas. Maybe a 4-5 or reliever? Maybe I'm missing something. Warmoth is a nice little player but I can't see him sticking at SS in terms of range and arm.

NC States LHP Sean Adler looks really good. Big left handed with a nice ability to change speeds and keeps hitters off balanced

Edited by NCsoxfan

Frankie Piliere‏ @FPiliereD1

Not many hitters generate the type of life off the barrel that Haseley does. Tremendous spring continues

Virginia Baseball‏ @UVABaseball

HOME RUN!

Adam Haseley pulls solo homer into the right-field bullpen, his team-leading 11th blast of the year.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 15, 2017 -> 01:12 AM)
Frankie Piliere‏ @FPiliereD1

Not many hitters generate the type of life off the barrel that Haseley does. Tremendous spring continues

Virginia Baseball‏ @UVABaseball

HOME RUN!

Adam Haseley pulls solo homer into the right-field bullpen, his team-leading 11th blast of the year.

He's my hope for Sox pick, but have a feeling he's playing himself into top 10

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 14, 2017 -> 08:14 PM)
Kyle Wright for Vandy finally looking like the guy that was supposed to be the best college arm in the class. Hope he keeps it up.

Last night was as good as ive seen him. Probably as good a performance any vandy pitcher i've seen not named price (9IP 2 H 13 K on only 99 pitches vs Florida). He had a rough start to the year which was looking like it may have dropped him out of the top 10, but last nights performance may have bumped him back in...a few more solid outings and he will likely be gone when we pick

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Apr 14, 2017 -> 06:55 PM)
Just watching the NC State vs UNC game now.

Not overly impressed by Jb Bukauskas. Maybe a 4-5 or reliever? Maybe I'm missing something. Warmoth is a nice little player but I can't see him sticking at SS in terms of range and arm.

NC States LHP Sean Adler looks really good. Big left handed with a nice ability to change speeds and keeps hitters off balanced

You are probably missing something on JB. He will be one of the first college arms off the board.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
Haseley won't make it to the Sox at this rate. He's definitely the guy I like in the early going though.

Agreed, it's doubtful Haseley will fall out of the top ten picks at this point

Wright is likely putting himself back into the top 10 with recent stronger performances

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
Haseley won't make it to the Sox at this rate. He's definitely the guy I like in the early going though.

Pavin Smith might have played himself into the top 10, but his bat and approach seem very refined

He could be a quick to the majors college bat. Some scouts feel he might be able to play in the outfield, and his defense at first base rates very well

Jordon Adell scream boom or bust prospect, I'd almost rather go with a closer to the majors talent that could help us sooner rather than later

All really depends on who is available

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
Pavin Smith might have played himself into the top 10, but his bat and approach seem very refined

He could be a quick to the majors college bat. Some scouts feel he might be able to play in the outfield, and his defense at first base rates very well

Jordon Adell scream boom or bust prospect, I'd almost rather go with a closer to the majors talent that could help us sooner rather than later

All really depends on who is available

Lots of bats both college and prep have helium lately. Hasely, Smith, Beck, Hiura. One should be around for the Sox or they possibly could get some great value on a pitcher that falls in their lap. Though my preference is a hitter at this point all things being equal.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
Lots of bats both college and prep have helium lately. Hasely, Smith, Beck, Hiura. One should be around for the Sox or they possibly could get some great value on a pitcher that falls in their lap. Though my preference is a hitter at this point all things being equal.

I'm right there with you

Greene, Kendall, Lewis, Faedo, Wright, Bukauskas, McKay, Hasely all figure to be off the board before the Sox pick

Smith, Beck, Hiura, Houck, Lange, Adell, Hall, Enlow, Gore, Rogers all may be available though

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)

If you are rebuilding, why are you looking for players who are closest to the majors? That doesn't make any sense to me. The Sox need to add as much talent into their system as they possibly can. So that means they should be looking at guys with high ceilings, Adell certainly has one of the biggest.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
If you are rebuilding, why are you looking for players who are closest to the majors? That doesn't make any sense to me. The Sox need to add as much talent into their system as they possibly can. So that means they should be looking at guys with high ceilings, Adell certainly has one of the biggest.

A lot of people think our window to contention is going to be really short.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)

I am not against a high school player at #11 overall

Adell's hit tool scares me, as I think of when the Sox drafted Courtney Hawkins as the toolsy high schooler out of Texas

The hit tool never came around and now Hawkins is essentially a non-prospect

I think the Sox will look to a college position player or pitcher for the first round

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
I am not against a high school player at #11 overall

Adell's hit tool scares me, as I think of when the Sox drafted Courtney Hawkins as the toolsy high schooler out of Texas

The hit tool never came around and now Hawkins is essentially a non-prospect

I think the Sox will look to a college position player or pitcher for the first round

That was a different org, lots of new people in the development department

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)

I don't subscribe to that and I believe Hahn when he says that things are not going to be rushed.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
That was a different org, lots of new people in the development department

Different since 2012? I have my doubts

When is the last time the White Sox took a high school position player and successfully got him to the major leagues?