Conor Gillaspie hits game winning homerun

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 06:42 AM)
Time for Gillaspie and Samardzija to step up.

They owe White Sox fans that much, especially Jeffy.

You can add Peavy to that list..

Alot of former sox players on that team. Beckham as well.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
He looked very uncomfortable during post-game interview. Probably a bunch of awkward post-game hugs from teammates as well lol

Yeah I remember Gillaspie being very quiet, and he always looked depressed. That homerun celebration was the only emotion I've ever seen him show.

Just because - here is the article I wrote for FutureSox about acquiring Conor Gillaspie for Jeff Soptic, in February of 2013. Soptic, by the way, is still in the SFG system, having pitched his 4th year in High-A.

Fun story. I wrote that sitting in a cafe in Datil, New Mexico, at a table under a massive trophy elk head. Stopped on a road trip to write it up.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
Didn't the Giants trade him to us originally because he was like, a total jerk in the clubhouse? And then he gets here and he never talks or smiles

No place for him to play with Sandoval.

Shady defense and seemed more of a doubles hitter...not quite enough power for 3rd. He was a fairly high draft pick if memory serves correct (2008, same year as Posey).

http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Giant...eto-9802225.php

Ron Wotus is the coach who really lobbied to keep him on the roster all season long.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
Very happy for Gillaspie- glad to see him do well. Hope he sprays 4 or 5 more at the bleacher bums or people walking on Waveland over the next few days.

There is nothing that could happen in this postseason that would make me happier than this.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
Not even Jeff Samardzija shutting out the Cubs in the next week in a game that eliminates them from the playoffs?

:D

I mean first and foremost I just want the Cubs to lose. But I still have some fondness for Conor - unlike Samardzija - so I'd rather see him be the one killing them the most.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
No place for him to play with Sandoval.

Shady defense and seemed more of a doubles hitter...not quite enough power for 3rd. He was a fairly high draft pick if memory serves correct (2008, same year as Posey).

He was only supposed to back up Keppinger and pinch hit here.

He was a sandwich pick (37th overall) in `08. Gordon Beckham and Brett Lawrie were also first rounders that year.