Price rising for Sale and Q

bruni

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 11:11 PM)
Yeah you're right, I mean who would want one of the best hitters in baseball?

One of the best hitters?

Melky ranked 64th in wRC+ and 75th in offensive WAR.

The only thing he's elite at offensively is making contact. 9th lowest K% in majors and 12th in contact%.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 02:33 AM)
One of the best hitters?

The only thing he's elite at offensively is making contact. 9th lowest K% in majors and 12th in contact%.

He could be attractive to teams looking for a left-handed bat or DH next summer if he has a decent year at the plate. His defensive range appears to be really down.

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 01:33 AM)
One of the best hitters?

So being the 64th or 75th best hitter on all 30 teams doesn't make a player "one of the best hitters in baseball"? I'm confused as to how that works, could you please explain?

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 01:33 AM)
One of the best hitters?

Not one of the best in baseball but he's very solid. 64th in wRC+ means he'd be the third best hitter on most teams (on average) and even for a lineup that's stacked he'd be a contributor.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...MCvK/story.html

"Dave Dombrowski doesn’t strike me as the stand-pat type."

Since the Red Sox already have a decent rotation, why not go for the luxury model — White Sox lefthander Chris Sale. If he’s in play, why wouldn’t the Red Sox make a trade bid? They inquired about him during the season and this time the White Sox might listen if the package is good enough.

In talking to some of the White Sox pro scouting personnel, it’s obvious who they like and would want back from the Red Sox to make this blockbuster a reality. The White Sox have always coveted Jackie Bradley Jr., and they would also have to get an elite prospect back such as Yoan Moncada and/or Rafael Devers. The Red Sox could make a deal for the following reasons: Andrew Benintendi has impressed enough that if he could become Boston’s center fielder to replace Bradley, Devers would likely stay at third base. Moncada could always move to left field if he’s not part of the deal. The Red Sox may also have the option of using Shaw in left field to add another lefthanded bat to the lineup. A Sale, David Price, Rick Porcello, Eduardo Rodriguez, Steven Wright, Drew Pomeranz/Buchholz pool of starters would look pretty solid.

The White Sox might even want Rodriguez in a deal with Bradley. If that’s the case, would you do it?

Bradley is an interesting case. The Red Sox had to be concerned at the number of swing and misses he had the last few weeks of the season, and particularly in the playoff series against the Indians, during which he struck out seven times in 10 at-bats. It’s not that you judge a player based on just that, but the emergence of Benintendi gives you reason to consider whether Bradley is expendable.

Then again, it’s difficult to find a center fielder with power (26 homers). When you think more deeply about it, it could be too heavy a price.

To me i not high on jbj. Defensively hes good and got better but the post season swing and misses are alarming. The biggest turn off to me of him is the contract. Again trading 3 years of sale for 4 years of jbj and definitely hitting free agency cause hes a boras client doesn't seem like a good idea. Benintendi played well in his time with boston and was one of the more consistent hitters for them in the post-season. Give me a package of moncada, Benintendi, devers, kopech starting with and i would be happpy.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 11:11 PM)
Yeah you're right, I mean who would want one of the best hitters in baseball?

Melky one of the best hitters in baseball....good lord.

Re trading Sale, if they want to do that and rebuild, I doubt they'd be holding out for Bradley Jr. They should also try to move Eaton if that were the case. And they really shouldn't have sat out the July period.

I suspect it's more a matter of moving Sale for his antics and the idea that they could just get better with the players acquired (which may be true).

Edited by GreenSox

Good article White Sox Lifer.

Not to discredit JBJ who is a great ballplayer, but it kind of scares me that it is he of all of the talent on the Red Sox that we covet, as he seems like the player we also fail with most. He will be 26? And coming off 1.5 seasons of .800 OPS ball out of CF, but still terrified he'd show up as the light hitting CF of his rookie year as Soon as he would switch colors. Meanwhile Benintendi seems like exactly the type of successful player that we've avoided to our detriment, at least until this past draft.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
So being the 64th or 75th best hitter on all 30 teams doesn't make a player "one of the best hitters in baseball"? I'm confused as to how that works, could you please explain?

No, it doesn't. Top 20 hitter in baseball are some of the best hitters in baseball.

There, all cleared up.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
Not one of the best in baseball but he's very solid. 64th in wRC+ means he'd be the third best hitter on most teams (on average) and even for a lineup that's stacked he'd be a contributor.

I agree, he is a solid hitter and a lot of teams could probably use him. I'm just saying he's not even close to one of the best in the game.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
No, it doesn't. Top 20 hitter in baseball are some of the best hitters in baseball.

There, all cleared up.

So the 21st best hitter in baseball, or, in theory, the best hitter on one's team, doesn't qualify as one of the best? The way I see it, the best 2-3 hitters on all teams, therefore the top 90 overall (maybe closer to 75), should be considered some of the best in the game.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
He was 65th in OPS. 65/270 puts him in the top 24% of hitters in baseball... he's one of the best and to say that "nobody wants him" is just absurd.

And he can't play defense at all and he was not a good hitter the prior year. The only teams interested in him would be contenders and where exactly will a contender use him....DH.

Like I said, July trade guy, presuming he has a good year and presuming Hahn doesn't take another nap this July

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
So the 21st best hitter in baseball, or, in theory, the best hitter on one's team, doesn't qualify as one of the best?

No.

There is a difference between a "team's best hitter" and "one of the best hitters in baseball".

Tommy Joseph was the Phillies best hitter this year. Does that make him a top 30 and one of the best hitters in baseball?

The Reds #1 starter is Anthony DeSclafani. Does that mean he's an ace and one of the best pitchers in baseball?

You're theory operates on all teams being equal, and that's not even close to being true.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
And he can't play defense at all and he was not a good hitter the prior year. The only teams interested in him would be contenders and where exactly will a contender use him....DH.

Like I said, July trade guy, presuming he has a good year and presuming Hahn doesn't take another nap this July

The defense comment is accurate. However, 2015 Melky (who, by the way, was still decent) also was extremely unlucky. This year, his luck balanced out and his numbers got better. My point is, it isn't an issue of ability.

edit- he had a .297 2015 BABIP despite a higher hard contact % than he had this year.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
No.

There is a difference between a "team's best hitter" and "one of the best hitters in baseball".

Tommy Joseph was the Phillies best hitter this year. Does that make him a top 30 and one of the best hitters in baseball?

The Reds #1 starter is Anthony DeSclafani. Does that mean he's an ace and one of the best pitchers in baseball?

You're theory operates on all teams being equal, and that's not even close to being true.

But I'm not saying to take the top hitters from each team in real life. I'm saying that Melky is in the top 64 of all MLB hitters, so if teams were even, he would be the third best hitter on a team, and nearly a 2nd best hitter.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)

There, all cleared up.

Those elite hitters almost never get traded. It's guys on Melky's tier, who would be the 3rd-5th best hitter on a contender, that get traded.

Same group of fools who said Avi was a 5 tool player will be the ones evaluating talent in the player return in any potential Sale or Q deal . That is a huge issue to me, track record is awful in scouting.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
Same group of fools who said Avi was a 5 tool player will be the ones evaluating talent in the player return in any potential Sale or Q deal . That is a huge issue to me, track record is awful in scouting.

Yeah I agree. MLBTR article said we'd want a package of Bradley/Devers/Rodriguez?? That would be a horrible return for Sale. Bradley is overrated and our FO's infatuation with getting him rather than Benintendi/Kopech/Groome type guys is puzzling.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 05:49 PM)
Those elite hitters almost never get traded. It's guys on Melky's tier, who would be the 3rd-5th best hitter on a contender, that get traded.

Right...and?

I feel like you are confusing me with someone who either said Melky is bad, Melky has no value, or Melky won't be traded. I've said none of those. I just said he's not one of the best hitters in baseball...

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Yeah I agree. MLBTR article said we'd want a package of Bradley/Devers/Rodriguez?? That would be a horrible return for Sale. Bradley is overrated and our FO's infatuation with getting him rather than Benintendi/Kopech/Groome type guys is puzzling.

I think MLBTR was just naming pieces that they felt would be expendable for Boston, not naming the entire package, or one they feel is fair.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
The defense comment is accurate. However, 2015 Melky (who, by the way, was still decent) also was extremely unlucky. This year, his luck balanced out and his numbers got better. My point is, it isn't an issue of ability.

edit- he had a .297 2015 BABIP despite a higher hard contact % than he had this year.

He's a complementemry hitter. 3-5 on a good team as said above. And yes the kind of hitter that the Sox FO would get goo goo over and act like they had acquired the elite (Frazier and Swisher were similar levels of hitter)- and partially because top hitters aren't traded very often. Contending front offices will see him for what he is- good hitter with 1 yr in a deal with bouts of inconsistency. Sure you can trade him- but not for much and you could get more in July desperation period.

I think they'll read Sale but I don't think they'll rebuild.

A friend of mine who lives downstate is a big Cardinals fan. He told me over the weekend that the Cardinals have serious interest in Adam Eaton. I don't know if the White Sox want to trade Eaton and I don't know if the Cardinals have any players we would want in return.