Price rising for Sale and Q

bruni

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
A friend of mine who lives downstate is a big Cardinals fan. He told me over the weekend that the Cardinals have serious interest in Adam Eaton. I don't know if the White Sox want to trade Eaton and I don't know if the Cardinals have any players we would want in return.

That's interesting. Given his skill and contract, he has enormous trade value as well.

A friend of mine who lives downstate is a big Cardinals fan. He told me over the weekend that the Cardinals have serious interest in Adam Eaton. I don't know if the White Sox want to trade Eaton and I don't know if the Cardinals have any players we would want in return.

I would expect to see him in rumors this offseason but a team will definitely have to pay up.

They want a 6 fWAR RF with 5 more years of cheap control? No way! Let's see, we will take Reyes, Bader, Perez, Hudson, and Weaver.

I am against trading one of our best hitters who has a cheap contract even in a rebuild. We need some veteran leadership and I think he can bring it for at least a year or two of a rebuild

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Yeah I agree. MLBTR article said we'd want a package of Bradley/Devers/Rodriguez?? That would be a horrible return for Sale. Bradley is overrated and our FO's infatuation with getting him rather than Benintendi/Kopech/Groome type guys is puzzling.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 11:25 PM)
I think MLBTR was just naming pieces that they felt would be expendable for Boston, not naming the entire package, or one they feel is fair.

If its the recent mlbtr article then its going off of nick carfardo article which i posted earlier.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...MCvK/story.html

I am sure about 29 other teams in MLB have interest in Adam Eaton.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 11:25 PM)
I think MLBTR was just naming pieces that they felt would be expendable for Boston, not naming the entire package, or one they feel is fair.

This isn't a shot at you (I am sure you agree), but you don't trade Chris Sale for "expendable" pieces. If Chris gets traded, the team that trades for him is going to think they got hosed. That is the type of deal the Sox need, or no Chris Sale for you.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
Why does everyone think JBJ is overrated?

I think it's a track record thing. He has about 800 ABs over the last 2 seasons now of about an .834 OPS though, so I don't think he's all that overrated. Major downsides of a JBJ trade are control and age.

The Red Sox already have two southpaws in their rotation, with Price and Rodriguez. It would be historically unprecedented for them to have 3 left starters.

The presence of the short left field "Green Monster" has always dictated that their rotation be primarily right handed. Therefore, while they have they pieces to trade for a top of the rotation starter, I don't see how they would target Sale. What am I missing here?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
The Red Sox already have two southpaws in their rotation, with Price and Rodriguez. It would be historically unprecedented for them to have 3 left starters.

The presence of the short left field "Green Monster" has always dictated that their rotation be primarily right handed. Therefore, while they have they pieces to trade for a top of the rotation starter, I don't see how they would target Sale. What am I missing here?

They actually were using 3 (Pomeranz).

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)

Hands don't matter when you're tlaking about one of the best 5 pitchers in the world.

Plus, I think it is pretty likely that Rodriguez would come to the Sox in a Sale deal.

Edited by ChiSox59

Would I rather have Benintendi or JBJ? Benintendi no question. Issue is should Benintendi headline the deal? I don't think so. I think Moncada needs to headline it. If they won't give up both, then I'd need Benintendi, Devers, Kopech, Rodriguez, Vazquez. I'm still not sure I'd do that. JBJ would at least give us one established veteran in return.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
Sox typically fall in love with players with plus defense and plus on base skills?

True, his .340 obp is a cushion. It's probably irrational, but if including JBJ means a more limited package i'm just nervous he becomes a high swing and miss player that resembles his rookie year more than the torrid stretch of 2015-first half 2016

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
True, his .340 obp is a cushion. It's probably irrational, but if including JBJ means a more limited package i'm just nervous he becomes a high swing and miss player that resembles his rookie year more than the torrid stretch of 2015-first half 2016

+1

JBJ is desirable mostly because he plays plus-defense in CF and hits with a decent OBP, and the Sox have historically struggled to get guys like that. So he'd fill an important need on the Sox's roster. He's also under team control through 2020.

That said, if the Sox do make a deal for him that includes Sale, they're going to have to get at least two of Boston's top 3 prospects in return, plus another lesser player or two.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)

Actually they may have 3 w the Buchholz/ Pomeranz sweepstakes for the 5 spot. If they decide to pursue Sale they may put Rodriquez in the package and maybe Pomeranz is dealt for a reliever. Sonny Gray's name pops up as well since I guess Moncada could get that deal done.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
JBJ would at least give us one established veteran in return.

That's the whole point with me. If you are rebuilding, why are you trading for a guy who will be 27 next season? Go young with the rebuild, don't half ass it like we've been doing with the "retooling".

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
That's the whole point with me. If you are rebuilding, why are you trading for a guy who will be 27 next season? Go young with the rebuild, don't half ass it like we've been doing with the "retooling".

You're going to be disappointed if you are expecting a 4-5 year overhaul of the organization.