Price rising for Sale and Q

bruni

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 07:28 AM)
What are their commitments to Anderson, McCarthy, Ryu and Kazmir after this year?

Logically, they need to improve their offense more than their pitching. We'd be better off trading them Robertson and/or Nate Jones, as bullpen will be their second biggest need.

Anderson is a free agent (he took the 1-year QO). The Puig anf McCarthy and prospects for Braun deal may re-surface since it was close to happening at the end of August (ran out of time).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
Welp...let's do this, Kenny and Rick...now that no one will be watching...let's start the healing process and start turning this once-great franchise around by rebuilding in relative anonymity.

Let's Make the White Sox Great Again!

Which of these 3 potential trades makes most sense for both teams?

White Sox acquire Lucas Giolito, Victor Robles, Reynaldo Lopez, +

Nationals acquire Adam Eaton, Jose Abreu, Nate Jones

White Sox acquire Andrew Benintendi, Michael Kopech, Jason Groome, Eduardo Rodriguez

Red Sox acquire Jose Quintana, Todd Frazier, David Robertson

White Sox acquire Julio Urias, Cody Bellinger, Yadier Alvarez, Austin Barnes, +

Dodgers acquire Chris Sale and Melky Cabrera

QUOTE (Carpe Diem @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)

White Sox acquire Andrew Benintendi, Michael Kopech, Jason Groome, Eduardo Rodriguez

Red Sox package looks light for getting all 3 of those guys.

All 3 of those look light, but Red Sox one is the only one I would even consider.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
If a Sale or Q trade worked out the same way the Miggy trade worked out for the Marlins, there would be a lot of unhappiness.

People forget that another big piece of that trade was the Marlins dumping Dontrell Willis' salary on the Tigers, which lessened the return some as well.

I dont think any of those teams do that. The Nationals have nowhere to play Abreu or Eaton. The Red Sox aren't going to be interested in taking on Robertsons salary and have no room for Frazier unless you are taking either Sandoval or Ramirez back in the trade. The Dodgers have no where to play Melky, with Tholes, Puig, Ethier, Pederson, and Thompson already in their OF and AGon on first. Dumping all the salary in those deals is going to lighten your return as well.

Urias, Moncada/Betts/Benitendi and Gary Sanchez became harder gets than a year ago.

There are still deals out there, but hard to imagine any of us being elated compared to some of the projected (and probably overly optimistic ones).

When the White Sox have had opportunities to make some Cubs 2012-14 moves, all we got was Duke for Tilson. Of course, now we have a huge lack of depth at LH reliever when those guys like Miller are changing the face of the game, being used in a similar fashion to how the Tigers utilized Zumaya in his prime...putting out fires even from the fifth through seventh innings when the heart of the lineup was due.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)
Urias, Moncada/Betts/Benitendi and Gary Sanchez became harder gets than a year ago.

There are still deals out there, but hard to imagine any of us being elated compared to some of the projected (and probably overly optimistic ones).

When the White Sox have had opportunities to make some Cubs 2012-14 moves, all we got was Duke for Tilson. Of course, now we have a huge lack of depth at LH reliever when those guys like Miller are changing the face of the game, being used in a similar fashion to how the Tigers utilized Zumaya in his prime...putting out fires even from the fifth through seventh innings when the heart of the lineup was due.

Betts Benintendi and Sanchez are probably off the market now. Urias may be as well. Not sure Moncada is a a harder get and I think he could be traded this offseason by Boston to strengthen their bullpen and add another 4/5 SP.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
If I am trading with the Yankees, and assuming Sanchez is either off the table or value is skyhigh, then go after Gleyber Torres and Clint Frazier

If I'm trading with the Yankees and Sanchez is off the table, Sale and Quintana are off the table.

He had a great rookie debut. They've had great years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)
If I'm trading with the Yankees and Sanchez is off the table, Sale and Quintana are off the table.

Well, like it said, it could also be that his value is way too inflated right now and they try to offer something like Sanchez + 2 backend prospects or some sort of package that reflects Sanchez being a perennial all-star catcher already.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 24, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)

Which is why I don't think Sale ever gets on the table. I do think teams can offer a reasonable package for Q if Hahn wants to deal.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 11:31 PM)
I don't think Sanchez is the right route to go. He had a ridiculous rookie year here and his value will be so inflated that trading for Sanchez would almost certainly backfire compared to other deals.

I seriously doubt the Yankees in the middle of their rebuild( obviously they will spend money) would go after Sale and give up the prospects they just traded for. They will most likely continue the trend and trade Gardner and Ellsbury for more young players.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 07:20 AM)
I seriously doubt the Yankees in the middle of their rebuild( obviously they will spend money) would go after Sale and give up the prospects they just traded for. They will most likely continue the trend and trade Gardner and Ellsbury for more young players.

They're not in a rebuild. They traded expiring contracts (Beltran, Chapman) and sold high on a reliever.

I really wish people would take a rationale look at what teams need to win in the playoffs, premium starting pitching.

The Dodgers, Giants, Indians, Red Sox, Mets, and Rangers could not put out four quality arms for the playoffs. The Dodgers couldn't put out three.

To think the Yankees would not consider Gary Sanchez for for Chris is ludicrous.

To me Sale and Quintana are too valuable and will not get equal value back and the White Sox thus are forced to keep them

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
I really wish people would take a rationale look at what teams need to win in the playoffs, premium starting pitching.

The Dodgers, Giants, Indians, Red Sox, Mets, and Rangers could not put out four quality arms for the playoffs. The Dodgers couldn't put out three.

To think the Yankees would not consider Gary Sanchez for for Chris is ludicrous.

To me Sale and Quintana are too valuable and will not get equal value back and the White Sox thus are forced to keep them

Yes, but a year ago, Sanchez was coming with 3-4 additional prospects.

No way they would trade Sanchez, Frazier and Torres now, as a package. Heck, Sanchez's asking price at the moment is more than almost anyone in the game because of his position and years of control. It would be like Sanchez AND the equivalent of Montas/Avi Garcia three years ago. That's too big of a risk for the White Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)

No way they would trade Sanchez, Frazier and Torres now, as a package. Heck, Sanchez's asking price at the moment is more than almost anyone in the game because of his position and years of control. It would be like Sanchez AND the equivalent of Montas/Avi Garcia three years ago. That's too big of a risk for the White Sox.

Yes. This is what has bothered me. Benintendi, Sanchez were very high quality prospects that you are able to get in packages because they are unknown and could fail. But the strategy of demanding ML talent means that we miss out getting these players when there is more risk, and the ability to get a wide range of potential stars in one swap.

The White Sox are not a gary sanchez for chris sale away from playoffs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)

For Chris Sale? LOL. GMAFB.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:31 PM)
I don't think Sanchez is the right route to go. He had a ridiculous rookie year here and his value will be so inflated that trading for Sanchez would almost certainly backfire compared to other deals.

Indeed. He was a good prospect, never elite. He has a great few months, and his value is now of an elite+

That should also have held for Trayce, who was a fair prospect with a great 2 months in MLB...should have been able to sell him of the value of a very good prospect...he wasn't.

Buying high is not the way to approach things. Similarly , July was the time to grab Benintendi.