2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
I also take back what I said of being understanding of FBI's predicament as the posting of a vague letter and then the numerous leaks of clarification is white sox level execution.

Given that the e-mails in question are apparently not from Clinton, and were not believed to have been withheld by Clinton's legal team, that's something Comey really should have just said from jump. Instead he creates a situation a week and a half before the election where he creates more questions than are answered.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
I also take back what I said of being understanding of FBI's predicament as the posting of a vague letter and then the numerous leaks of clarification is white sox level execution.

I thought the same thing. Why on earth reopen this if there's no substance to it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
Again with all due respect ... I didn't intend on dropping that cigarette butt in the trash can in my failing restaurant and didn't know it would burn down." etc etc.

That was a very weak excuse of Comey the first time.

Greg - intent is an element of the crime of arson. So the prosecutor would have to prove that the owner intended to burn down the property. The fact that the business was failing would be evidence of that intent. Intent is a pretty important part of criminal law.

The robbery example is really weak. The intent is whether or not they intended to rob the place, not their motivations in intending to rob the bank.

The point here - don't armchair lawyer things you don't understand.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
I thought the same thing. Why on earth reopen this if there's no substance to it.

http://www.newsweek.com/fbi-reviewing-more...n-emails-514825

Well - and then there's this. Bottom line: it's complicated. Still think more information is needed. Considering he has gone outside norms to give more information on this case before, strange he wouldn't do so now.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)
Are robbing banks and setting failing businesses on fire with cigarettes in trash cans common accidents?

I try my best with analogies. I never said I was good at it. Punch me for trying.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 07:59 PM)
The point here - don't armchair lawyer things you don't understand.

A fair rebuke IMO. I wish people would answer the questions in my long post in the other thread.Partisanship aside, this has interesting consequences.

I still do think Comey let her off the hook. He did say she perjured herself but nobody cares, Illini. Do you agree she purgered herself at the very least? When he said she lied six times?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
I try my best with analogies. I never said I was good at it. Punch me for trying.

A fair rebuke IMO. I wish people would answer the questions in my long post in the other thread.Partisanship aside, this has interesting consequences.

I still do think Comey let her off the hook. He did say she perjured herself but nobody cares, Illini. Do you agree she purgered herself at the very least? When he said she lied six times?

He did not ever say that she perjured herself - to my knowledge anyway. This is a pretty good summary from the Hill as to why perjury charges against Clinton would be extremely difficult to prove.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-securit...against-clinton

I legitimately want an explanation on how this is or is not different than BushCo deleting millions of emails. Or the list of other Presidents and cabinet officials using private email addresses.

My personal view on this is, people in sensitive positions (anyone who might need a Secret or better clearance) in government roles should be legally prohibited from conducting ANY business on email other than government email. And criminalize it in federal statute, specifically. This way there is no ambiguity or political/partisan nonsense. It's just illegal, full stop. If some of the emails were classified, hey, go for that too on top of it.

So it's confirmed by NYT that the devices were recovered due to the FBI probe into the Weiner sexting with a teen scandal (I assume across state lines?), that then meant they took Huma Abedin's phone's as a part of the investigation.

Anthony weiner's dick picks spurred this, pretty crazy election I'd say.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
Uh what? lol. Why does it matter that he's white?

All of our presidents and presidential candidates have been white and male, except for Obama and Hillary.

If you mean am I saying does it "matter" in terms of what kind of president he'd make, no I'm not

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
New information emerges, FBI reopens investigation of Clinton on her emails. Wonder if this makes people question their decision to vote for her or is everyone by this point solidly in one camp or the other.

I honestly believe there is exactly nothing that can get decided voters to change their minds as of today.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
All of our presidents and presidential candidates have been white and male, except for Obama and Hillary.

If you mean am I saying does it "matter" in terms of what kind of president he'd make, no I'm not

Well not all, but close. That kicks at a couple of true pioneers.

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
This is pretty much fact.

I honestly can't fathom how we have undecided voters at this point. How?

Then call them voters who will do what I'm doing, writing in a candidate or not voting at all out of disgust. One would think some people would change their minds about Hillary when many are saying she could go to jail over this or at least be deemed guilty and get impeached. Why wouldn't some change their minds?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Then call them voters who will do what I'm doing, writing in a candidate or not voting at all out of disgust. One would think some people would change their minds about Hillary when many are saying she could go to jail over this or at least be deemed guilty and get impeached. Why wouldn't some change their minds?

It's as if you don't actually know what is going on with this new email stuff and assume the worst. At the very least, read some of the posts above yours to realize this is pretty much nothing.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 06:16 PM)
It's as if you don't actually know what is going on with this new email stuff and assume the worst. At the very least, read some of the posts above yours to realize this is pretty much nothing.

Then explain the former assistant FBI director saying it has to be serious for Comey to do what he did. Powerful.

I don't really care what happens as long as Mike Pence isn't a Trump death away from running the country. That guy is far more frightening than either of the 2 presidential candidates. What he's done to teachers in Indiana is disgusting not to mention his views on people who are homosexual and his science denials. I'm not a Hillary fan by any means but it's fine with me if it keeps a crazy person out of the White House.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
ss2k5, not sure if you missed this cause it already fell a couple of pages back, but it seems like it'd be right up your alley.

Its a shame that Americans who are going to vote probably still won't take this as an opportunity to look closer at Johnson, Stein, and McMullin beyond the 1 or 2 videos/articles out there to discredit them.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Its a shame that Americans who are going to vote probably still won't take this as an opportunity to look closer at Johnson, Stein, and McMullin beyond the 1 or 2 videos/articles out there to discredit them.

Yeah, the closer you look at those the worse they look.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
Then explain the former assistant FBI director saying it has to be serious for Comey to do what he did. Powerful.

He's a republican who doesn't like Clinton?

The fbi doesn't even know what the content of these emails are at this point and most likely are all stuff they already have seen.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)

Looked closely at them since they demanded to be taken seriously.

Then it becomes apparent they're woefully bad choices.

Here's Jill Stein profiting off of Wall Street banks, oil and coal, tobacco, defense contractors and the pharmaceutical industry.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016...ys-another.html

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
Looked closely at them since they demanded to be taken seriously.

Then it becomes apparent they're woefully bad choices.

Here's Jill Stein profiting off of Wall Street banks, oil and coal, tobacco, defense contractors and the pharmaceutical industry.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016...ys-another.html

She could have just charged them all six figure speaking fees instead.