NLCS: Cubs vs Dodgers

Panerista

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between Baez, Contreras, Schwarber, Soler and possibly Russell, they can afford to deal at least two of those guys...

If they continue struggling the rest of the series with lefties, there's going to be a temptation to overreact and try to find another RH hitting power bat.

Of course, Soler is the obvious odd man out, but he won't bring back much at this point. A lot depends on whether Fowler returns. I'm not sure they want to pay him $17.2 million next year. They can move Heyward back to center, which gives them room for another power bat on the corner but weakens the defense a bit. Schwarber can't be traded until his value is back up and he returns to form from his injury.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 07:15 AM)
Between Baez, Contreras, Schwarber, Soler and possibly Russell, they can afford to deal at least two of those guys...

If they continue struggling the rest of the series with lefties, there's going to be a temptation to overreact and try to find another RH hitting power bat.

Of course, Soler is the obvious odd man out, but he won't bring back much at this point. A lot depends on whether Fowler returns. I'm not sure they want to pay him $17.2 million next year. They can move Heyward back to center, which gives them room for another power bat on the corner but weakens the defense a bit. Schwarber can't be traded until his value is back up and he returns to form from his injury.

Why would they trade Contreras? He's their starting catcher next year. I also don't see them trading Baez or Russell. Soler isn't bringing back anything of value and Schwarber still has a long road ahead. Even if he returns fully healthy, he's a DH which severely limits his trade value.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 01:52 AM)
Schwarber has nothing to do with their losing this year.

It would be quite easy to argue that it gave Baez an opportunity to emerge, and Contreras as well. Not to mention they had Soler there in reserve as well.

The odds are greater of a pitching going down next season, and that will have much more of an impact than removing one cog in that offense.

I actually think they were arguably better without Schwarber this year, if he doesn't go down does Contreras even come up? Schwarber was probably a 2-2.5 WAR player this year, and that was more than covered by extra playing time from Baez/Contreras. Plus the biggest strength of the Cubs this year is that amazing defense, and Schwarber would have only hurt them there.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 06:31 AM)
Why would they trade Contreras? He's their starting catcher next year. I also don't see them trading Baez or Russell. Soler isn't bringing back anything of value and Schwarber still has a long road ahead. Even if he returns fully healthy, he's a DH which severely limits his trade value.

We'll just have to wait and see how well he does playing 120-130 games there...especially from a defensive standpoint.

The feedback has been pretty mixed so far?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 12:27 AM)
And no J4L, either...Ron is at least maintaining some illusions of being more of a Sox fan while straddling the line with excitement about living in his Wrigleyville environs.

Thanks for the shout out bro :) I'm really in a win win situation. The cubs win, I get to party my ass off in my north side confines. They lose, and I get some joy out of it. Life is good

Crazy how different cubs fans sound today on the score than they did after Game 1. It went from "who starts game 1 against Jays/Indians?" to "Maybe David Ross should start at first over Rizzo, and Almora needs to start the rest of the series" and "Maddon is not as good of a Manager as you think he is"

in 4 days

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 08:55 AM)
No team is dealing young cost controlled arms that will start at the front of a playoff rotation which is what the cubs will need.

The cubs dont need an ace. They have Lester and Hendricks, and the both of them have been dominant. Another cost controlled arm will do them very well, but they may have already aqcuired that in Montgomery(at least it seems that way with how Maddon talked about him the other day)

The Cubs need to figure out how to hit in the playoffs, specifically the guys who got them there(rizzo and russell) need to figure it out

It's amazing how quickly the trib columnists start wetting their pants and fall back into their cynical sniping of the players/coaches decisions.

Went from being so annoyed at the ridiculous tweets like "Lester could have chosen to join the Giants, instead he chose a chance at immortality" to now "Madden tried to get too cute, and now he needs to get smart"

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
It's amazing how quickly the trib columnists start wetting their pants and fall back into their cynical sniping of the players/coaches decisions.

Went from being so annoyed at the ridiculous tweets like "Lester could have chosen to join the Giants, instead he chose a chance at immortality" to now "Madden tried to get too cute, and now he needs to get smart"

This 100% sounds like David Haugh

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
Crazy how different cubs fans sound today on the score than they did after Game 1. It went from "who starts game 1 against Jays/Indians?" to "Maybe David Ross should start at first over Rizzo, and Almora needs to start the rest of the series" and "Maddon is not as good of a Manager as you think he is"

in 4 days

The cubs dont need an ace. They have Lester and Hendricks, and the both of them have been dominant. Another cost controlled arm will do them very well, but they may have already aqcuired that in Montgomery(at least it seems that way with how Maddon talked about him the other day)

The Cubs need to figure out how to hit in the playoffs, specifically the guys who got them there(rizzo and russell) need to figure it out

Don't think the Royals and especially the M's would have dealt him if he was perceived to be a future quality starter. Seattle gave him 18 starts over two seasons but had him in the bullpen for most of this year.

He's also had one major injury, think it was TJS.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
Don't think the Royals and especially the M's would have dealt him if he was perceived to be a future quality starter. Seattle gave him 18 starts over two seasons but had him in the bullpen for most of this year.

He's also had one major injury, think it was TJS.

Yea, im sure every time a trade is made, teams make sure every player traded away wont be good

And heck, the Cubs started him 5 times after they acquired him so obviously they feel like he isnt worth starting

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
Yea, im sure every time a trade is made, teams make sure every player traded away wont be good

And heck, the Cubs started him 5 times after they acquired him so obviously they feel like he isnt worth starting

Montgomery reminds me of Travis Wood. Effective in short spurts out of the pen but very average if used as a starter over the course of a full season. Best case scenario, he's a #4 or #5.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)

Well, we've heard Don Cooper say similar things for years and years about guys like Nestor Molina, Zach Stewart and Jeff Marquez.

If they can also turn Montgomery into a stud, we should be pilfering more coaches from that staff instead of former Sox players.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
I'd love to see their dumb fans panic if they lose again tonight. If they do lose against Urias, it's over for them IMO. They can't beat Kershaw normally, but they have absolutely no chance if half their offense is ice cold.

That made me LOL. Everyone at work looked at me. haha

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
Montgomery reminds me of Travis Wood. Effective in short spurts out of the pen but very average if used as a starter over the course of a full season. Best case scenario, he's a #4 or #5.

An effective 4th or 5th starter is still pretty valuable though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
Well if Don cooper said something about unrelated players.

Nestor Molina begets Mike Montgomery, the circle of life is complete

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
Well, we've heard Don Cooper say similar things for years and years about guys like Nestor Molina, Zach Stewart and Jeff Marquez.

If they can also turn Montgomery into a stud, we should be pilfering more coaches from that staff instead of former Sox players.

nobody said anything about turning him into a stud. I love how "acquiring a cost controlled young arm" quickly spun into "they need a front line starter for the playoffs" and "if they can also turn Montgomery into a stud...."

The Cubs dont want Hammell(and who knows, maybe Lackey too) wasting a spot. They want a young starter with talent that could possibly realize his potential. When they acquired Montgomery, this was all said about him. Maddon in his call in this week mentioned Montgomery starting next year. They probably have acquired this arm already

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)

Secrets to being a successful GM: sign, trade for good players; don't sign, trade away bad players!

Secrets to winning baseball: you have a very good chance of winning if you score more runs than the other team