NLCS: Cubs vs Dodgers

Panerista

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I know you guys enjoy Cubbie angst as much as I do, here's the transcript of my fantasy league's chat thread from last night. Cub fan text in blue, Sox fans in black.

Wood [ 7:41 PM ]: Love the steal there

Wood [ 7:42 PM ]: This has gotta pay off here!

Grant [ 7:45 PM ]: This is a really strange inning. I'm not sure what rich hill is doing

Grant [ 7:45 PM ]: He barely throws fastballs

Vic [ 7:46 PM ]: Addison Russell sucks ass.

Wes [ 8:28 PM ]: Cubs Dodgers and Hawks flyers... Psh who needs football

Grant [ 8:33 PM ]: Montero is such a bad catcher

Wes [ 8:38 PM ]: Doyers

Vic [ 9:08 PM ]: You gotta hit it far to go dead center.

Wes [ 9:08 PM ]: Justin turner is probably the most underrated player in baseball.  I would argue he should be on the shortlist for nl mvp

Wes [ 9:09 PM ]: Oh and

Wes [ 9:09 PM ]: Doyers

Coz [ 9:10 PM ]: You can't be serious?

Grant [ 9:11 PM ]: I would argue against that. Drove me nuts for 3 months this season doing nothing. Which is why I dropped him. I know he had a great second half but there's a lot more guys who should get the runner up vote. Especially my boy Nolan

Coz [ 9:11 PM ]: Operating outside the bell curve, taking advantage of 108-year-old curse, is not grounds for MVP consideration.

Coz [ 9:12 PM ]: I hate you Grant. Nolan…

Grant [ 9:12 PM ]: Probably put Seager ahead of him too

Grant [ 9:12 PM ]: Haha I know he's your boy too Coz

Coz [ 9:13 PM ]: Just how? Getting shut down by Kershaw is one thing. He's an all-time great picture. This is bulls***.

Coz [ 9:13 PM ]: It starts with hitting one of your billion pop-ups to the warning track when there's a guy on third and less than two outs.

Grant [ 9:14 PM ]: This is tough to watch

Coz [ 9:14 PM ]: I think Grandal and Gonzalez should try out for the PGA tour considering the method in which they hit those homeruns.

Wes [ 9:14 PM ]: He sucked through May then became unstoppable

Wes [ 9:14 PM ]: He's not mvp

Wes [ 9:14 PM ]: But up there

Coz [ 9:15 PM ]: The best part of the last two games was when Baez hit the warning track fly that Kershaw was convinced was a homerun. When it wasn't he and Dave Roberts had a great laugh in the dugout

Coz [ 9:16 PM ]: Microcosm

Coz [ 9:16 PM ]: Even Puig got a hit.

Wes [ 9:16 PM ]: I can feel all you dudes nervous energy all the way here in Cali

Wes [ 9:17 PM ]: Kershizzle tomorrow

Vic [ 9:17 PM ]: I need a crying Jordan Kris Bryant

Grant [ 9:17 PM ]: Nervousness is high right now

Grant [ 9:18 PM ]: I think Urias is tmw isn't he? Then Kershaw Thursday?

Vic [ 9:18 PM ]: Yes

Wes [ 9:18 PM ]: Yeah you're right

Grant [ 9:20 PM ]: So we will see Lester and Kershaw

Dan [ 9:38 PM ]: $220M

Coz [ 9:44 PM ]: Got us 103-58 and a firm dispatch of #Believen despite their best efforts to screw us over. Now, we win, lose to HOF Kershaw and then totally s*** the bed? I mean, come on.

Vic [ 9:48 PM ]: Relax coz it's game 3

Coz [ 9:48 PM ]: Here's the nauseating synopsis of Joe Buck and John Smoltz  impressions of the Cubs and Dodgers: It does not matter that the Dodgers weren't good all year, you just have to "heat up" at the right time. The Cubs were the best team this season. They just have to keep doing what they've been doing all year.

Coz [ 9:49 PM ]: Are they giving anyone else a brain aneurysm?

Dan [ 9:49 PM ]: Nah haven't been watching

Coz [ 9:49 PM ]: Oh wait that's actually the cubs play…

Grant [ 9:51 PM ]: Well Joe Buck is the worst....

Grant [ 9:53 PM ]: Would be nice to get a hit....4 total hits in the last two games

Wood [ 9:57 PM ]: Need a run here

Wood [ 9:57 PM ]: This game is terrible again so far

Coz [ 9:58 PM ]: I'm glad Jansen's coming in. Overuse your closer just like we've overused Chapman and he's blown two games.

Coz [ 9:59 PM ]: I watched Jansen blow a game against the Nationals. Not every appearance can be a multi inning save.

Wood [ 9:59 PM ]: MVP needs a big knock here

Coz [ 10:00 PM ]: If Grandal can hit a homerun certainly Bryant can

Wes [ 10:03 PM ]: That may have been the nail in this one

Coz [ 10:03 PM ]: It's personally embarrassing to watch this

Coz [ 10:04 PM ]: I feel stupid that we thought they were good enough. I just saw Bryant swing and miss at two fastballs in the strike zone. That's not good enough.

Wes [ 10:06 PM ]: Tranquillo amigo Jansen throws 97 mph.  There's a lot of ball to go.

Coz [ 10:08 PM ]: There needs to be a massive turnaround and it doesn't have to be tonight. Right now they're being outcoached, outfoxed and overmatched. It doesn't matter what the matchup is. That part is almost irrelevant. It's the mental block. Honestly, if the Dodgers win it's like oh wow good for us. There is literally zero expectation for LA.

Wes [ 10:14 PM ]: It's like the patriots running up the score just cuz

Coz [ 10:17 PM ]: This whole thing is laughable

Wood [ 10:27 PM ]: Gross

Vic [ 7:31 AM ]: Good rant coz

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
Pitching. Yes the Cubs offense has been very good and the defense has been excellent but it's their pitching that's done the heavy lifting this year and the one area that could lead to an unfulfilled dynasty. With very few top arms waiting in the minors, losing Chapman to free agency this offseason, Arrieta, Hammel, and Lackey next, and Lester approaching the back end of his career, they could have a serious pitching problem sooner than most foresee. It's the reason why I think this year and next year are their two best chances of winning a World Series before the young core of infielders hits free agency.

Why would the Cubs not sign whomever they WANT to keep? Cubs have tons of money. They spend as much as anybody don't they? Why wouldn't they keep all their studs?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
Thanks for the shout out bro :) I'm really in a win win situation. The cubs win, I get to party my ass off in my north side confines. They lose, and I get some joy out of it. Life is good

You seem kind of like a bad fan to me. Do you pretend to be happy for the Cubs when partying? I would never sell out even if it cost me from getting women.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
If the Cubs can get to Urias, I don't think they are in bad shape, because Lester should shut down LA in game 5, they are so bad vs LHP. I'm surprised Montgomery pitched last night, he seemed like a good candidate to replace Lackey today if he starts struggling.

I still say Dodgers are conceding Game Four basically and putting it all on Kershaw to go up 3-2. After that you either win one game in Wrigley out of two or it's not meant to be.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
I know this might sound petty but there is this guy at work that is a big cub fan. He is in his early 30's and married with 2 young kids. He sits with this woman at lunch and flirts with her all day. Messaging on the company chat, going to each others desk, he kisses her on the neck and the cheek, and joke around about getting a hotel room.

He is always nice to me but that crap pissed me off. I hope the Cubs lose so he cries . Karma is a b****.

Man, to kiss her? They've either already fooled around or he's risking getting fired. HR would kick his ass out so quickly if she filed a complaint. You can't actually make contact like that.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
All I'm reading is an 83% chance the Cubs don't win the World Series

I hate those figures so much. So if the Cubs win today and it's assured it's going back to Wrigley it's going to go from 83 percent against to probably 70 percent chance they DO win the World Series.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
Why would the Cubs not sign whomever they WANT to keep? Cubs have tons of money. They spend as much as anybody don't they? Why wouldn't they keep all their studs?

Who's available? The only known commodities in their starting rotation beyond next season are Lester and Hendricks. Lester is at an age where I would expect to see a gradual decline in coming seasons and many saber folks have been saying Hendricks way over performed this season based on his peripherals (we'll see). Arrieta, Lackey, and Hammel all hit free agency after next season (aside from Arrieta, I don't think they would want to bring back Lackey and Hammel at their age). The free agent class of 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 doesn't look all that promising for starting pitching either. Unless he falls off next year, I would think Arrieta is the headliner of the free agent SP class in 2017/2018.

And what makes you think they have unlimited budget? I mean they already have $40M+ AAV locked into two players for a long time (Heyward and Lester) and Arrieta will likely command a similar contract to Lester after next year (maybe more if he reverts back to ace form next season). Also, they have a whole lot of very good players hitting arbitration starting in 2017.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
why do people have beef with Joe Buck?

I've always wondered why. I think it's because he has a cool job of describing the best games, and gets paid a lot to do it. I've always thought he was pretty good.

When he does that dark stubble deal, it does remind me of Hulk Hogan when he used to draw a beard on his face.

It was interesting that losing his voice a couple years ago almost permanently was a result of his addiction to hair plugs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
Wow, I don't agree with you guys at all on Buck...I think he and Smoltz have done a fine job thus far.

I actually miss my old buddy Tim McCarver a bit too :)

I don't think he is bad at what he does or anything like that, but he isn't my style for sure. Give me the excited homer any day.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
"And the white sox have won the world series"

Buck is awful

But being a homer is also awful. The thing about announcers is almost no matter what, a pretty good chunk of people will not like them at all. There are very few who are universally loved.

Pat Foley is probably the closest thing in Chicago to no critics, although several years ago I used to play basketball with him and he wasn't very good and was a ball hog.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
Roberts confirms Kershaw for game 6. Good move.

I feel like they should start him in game 5 if the Cubs win tonight's game. You can't possibly go back to Wrigley down 3-2. Urias, while good, probably isn't going to last more than 5-6 innings. And I don't trust Maeda at all.