Chris Getz to take over player development

southsider2k5

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reaffirms the lack of reflection from the organization that anything needs to change, and it just seems like they are scared to hire proven talented professionals that may push back on their failed way of doing things. So we hire people who've only known them as authority figures.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
I guess maybe Chris will be good at it, but... COME ON! You replace the guy who runs the clearly weakest part of your organization, one which has been a weakness for over a decade, and replace him with ANOTHER INSIDE GUY?!?!

I mean really. WTF.

I think the first word replace should be "promote", right? They made that guy an assistant coach?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
I think the first word replace should be "promote", right? They made that guy an assistant coach?

I don't see going from Dir of Player Dev to 3rd base coach as a promotion, but maybe that's just me. Pay might be better, but I doubt it. You're going from a position of huge control over the entire farm system, to being a tiny cog on the major league club.

Anyway, that aspect isn't terribly relevant. Maybe he just wanted a different role. What's key here is how they went about replacing him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
I don't see going from Dir of Player Dev to 3rd base coach as a promotion, but maybe that's just me. Pay might be better, but I doubt it. You're going from a position of huge control over the entire farm system, to being a tiny cog on the major league club.

Anyway, that aspect isn't terribly relevant. Maybe he just wanted a different role. What's key here is how they went about replacing him.

Or he was "promoted" out of that position to get new blood. Though I do like the theory that they promoted him with a rebuild in mind.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
It doesn't seem overly insider to me.

But what exactly are his qualifications?

Retired from playing after 2014 season. He then joined the Royals front office as some sort of assistant around the end of 2014. So, at max, he has 2 years' experience in player development. And now he's going to be the Director.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
Retired from playing after 2014 season. He then joined the Royals front office as some sort of assistant around the end of 2014. So, at max, he has 2 years' experience in player development. And now he's going to be the Director.

yea, that seems real light on experience.

I wonder if he's one of those guys like McCarthy or Kappler who started looking at analytics while still playing; that might help.

Edited by GreenSox

I doubt anyone in the White Sox would claim to demand the best. They are clearly fine with hiring people to learn on the job, and are more concerned with their "fit" in the org. That would explain their preference for hiring from within and favoring those they know for open positions.

That being said, they've also developed a reputation as team that loses with no particular direction, and recent results have borne this out. It's fine to hire the way the Sox do, IF there is some process in place with a defined goal. This just seems like more wheel spinning.