Chris Getz to take over player development

southsider2k5

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
When the FO appears to operate a multimillion dollar operation as if it is a family-owned hardware store, with poor results, and then continues to operate that way despite those poor results, then yes, the criticism is valid.

I like this, this is exactly how I would interpret the state of the sox. A declining patriarch with a lot of longtime employees, not performing as it once did, and nobody willing to make the changes that need to happen to put it back on the right track.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of overreactions in this thread. The dude had just over 400 PAs with the White Sox and hasn't been a part of the organization since 2009.

He has experience with another FO (and a well respected one), and was always well respected as a player.

I wouldn't have minded someone with a bit more experience, but I don't really consider this a "White Sox" move.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Yep, people never discussed their disappointment in player development from the White Sox. Such a hypocritical bunch.

Yeah, even if the name isn't mentioned, development of position players, or lack there of, has been a very hot stove topic for a very long time around these parts. To say otherwise is to create a narrative that isn't there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
Yeah, even if the name isn't mentioned, development of position players, or lack there of, has been a very hot stove topic for a very long time around these parts. To say otherwise is to create a narrative that isn't there.

I have not read once where Capra who was the player development director for 5 seasons, needed to be replaced. I've seen Hahn blamed, JR blamed, KW blamed, Buddy Bell blamed (by me), Laumann blamed, but never Capra. Either most of us didn't consider his position really some sort of senior position or he was perfectly competent but everyone else was making him look bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
Never said that. I specifically alluded to Capra. Where is the discussion about him?

They probably discuss Buddy Bell, and whatever weird crappy organizational heirarchy the white sox have done that make it unclear who is in charge of things.

But I think it's fair game, considering the shifts in the organization, that people would like new blood that would create a new direction, like how hostetler gave way to the end of Laumann.

A former player with 2 years experience being given the director level means buddy bell is not losing any influence. And we can expect the same results. But you are okay with that, that's fine.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
They probably discuss Buddy Bell, and whatever weird crappy organizational heirarchy the white sox have done that make it unclear who is in charge of things.

But I think it's fair game, considering the shifts in the organization, that people would like new blood that would create a new direction, like how hostetler gave way to the end of Laumann.

A former player with 2 years experience being given the director level means buddy bell is not losing any influence. And we can expect the same results. But you are okay with that, that's fine.

I have stated many times, Bell is a problem IMO. But Buddy Bell is still here, and as long as he's here, he isn't going to lose influence, so really what does it matter if Getz played for the White Sox or not? This is new blood BTW. All his after baseball employment was with KC who apparently share the White Sox and every other team's bad habit of hiring people they are familiar with.

Edited by Dick Allen

If the white sox were successful at it, it wouldn't be a problem. STL knows how to train employees on a single goal.

It's that the white sox have no vision, and keep recycling people who have been a part of that lack of vision which makes it a problem. That's why a strong outsider would be nice.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
Never said that. I specifically alluded to Capra. Where is the discussion about him?

At FutureSox we've interviewed him, and discussed him over the years. We've also of course covered in depth the player development in general, of which he was in charge.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
At FutureSox we've interviewed him, and discussed him over the years. We've also of course covered in depth the player development in general, of which he was in charge.

What was the conclusion? Was he bad at his job? Really I have no idea, I've always focused on Bell. I've listened to him at Soxfest, he seemed OK to me. But considering there is enough blame to go around for everyone, he dodged a lot of it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
I have not read once where Capra who was the player development director for 5 seasons, needed to be replaced. I've seen Hahn blamed, JR blamed, KW blamed, Buddy Bell blamed (by me), Laumann blamed, but never Capra. Either most of us didn't consider his position really some sort of senior position or he was perfectly competent but everyone else was making him look bad.

This is a gigantic stretch, even for you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
This is a gigantic stretch, even for you.

Whatever. I said Getz got more play on this board before he started than Capra got in 5 years. Link a thread or two that proves I'm wrong.

Specific Nick Capra talk. From now on, minor league failing will be pinned on Chris Getz.

Edited by Dick Allen

I have no problems hiring a former player. The problem is hiring a guy WITH 1.5 YEARS EXPERIENCE AT AN ENTRY LEVEL MLB POSITION AS HEAD OF PLAYER DEVELOPMENT.

Seriously. Even if this turns out to be the best hire in the history of hires the process itself is incredibly flawed. Did they even interview anyone else?

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Whatever. I said Getz got more play on this board before he started than Capra got in 5 years. Link a thread or two that proves I'm wrong.

Specific Nick Capra talk. From now on, minor league failing will be pinned on Chris Getz.

No, it will still be pinned on the organization as a whole, especially buddy bell. It is a missed opportunity that they did not recognize a failure in this department and seek out a candidate that could transform what they've been doing. This, like hiring your bench coach and retaining most of the coaches on the staff, like retaining your president and GM, shows that the Sox think they are on the right track.

That is a punch in the gut, because I'd really like to see a playoff team in the next 5 years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
What was the conclusion? Was he bad at his job? Really I have no idea, I've always focused on Bell. I've listened to him at Soxfest, he seemed OK to me. But considering there is enough blame to go around for everyone, he dodged a lot of it.

On a personal level, Nick has always been good with us, FWIW. Open to interviews and just answering questions via email.

I don't think we've ever done an article specifically criticizing him. But we wouldn't. What our writers have done, repeatedly, is point out the overall failures of player development. That's a whole bunch of people of course, not just Capra. But Capra was the captain of that ship, so it kind of went without saying that he had the bulk of the responsibility. Even if people below him were failing, that still calls to Capra to address.

This isn't a personal thing, with either Capra or Getz.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)

The player development of the White Sox organization has been very clearly slammed both on Soxtalk and around Major League Baseball. Moving the goalposts to something in the nature of SAY MY NAME is just silly. This isn't freaking Voldemort being talked about here. Even without saying Nick Capra, it is obvious that player development has had some major issues.

Obviously the White Sox thought that someone else would be better in Player Development, otherwise Nick Capra would still be doing the job. To me that is the most obvious indictment of all of what was thought of the job that Nick Capra was doing. But feel free to keep on the usual posting path with this pedantic line.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
The player development of the White Sox organization has been very clearly slammed both on Soxtalk and around Major League Baseball. Moving the goalposts to something in the nature of SAY MY NAME is just silly. This isn't freaking Voldemort being talked about here. Even without saying Nick Capra, it is obvious that player development has had some major issues.

Obviously the White Sox thought that someone else would be better in Player Development, otherwise Nick Capra would still be doing the job. To me that is the most obvious indictment of all of what was thought of the job that Nick Capra was doing. But feel free to keep on the usual posting path with this pedantic line.

I call BS. While the player development has definitetly been slammed plenty and deservedly on this board, Capra is never mentioned, and if the consensus was he was so bad at his job, how come there was barely even a mention of him when he became the 3rd base coach. Just a couple of it's odd that a PDD would become a 3rd base coach. Nothing about his past job performance. If the Sox named Buddy Bell 3rd base coach, there would have either been outrage that he was still employed, or joy that he didn't have anything to do with the minor leagues anymore.

And if it is all about what the White Sox think, why question Chris Getz? They obviously think he will be better in the role than Capra?

This particular position became 10 times more important went an ex White Sox player got it with 2 years experience, even though those 2 years were with another team.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
I call BS. While the player development has definitetly been slammed plenty and deservedly on this board, Capra is never mentioned, and if the consensus was he was so bad at his job, how come there was barely even a mention of him when he became the 3rd base coach. Just a couple of it's odd that a PDD would become a 3rd base coach. Nothing about his past job performance. If the Sox named Buddy Bell 3rd base coach, there would have either been outrage that he was still employed, or joy that he didn't have anything to do with the minor leagues anymore.

I think you are right that outside of some of the mod staff, and a few others, he went pretty unnoticed. Bell, Hahn, Kenny, and to a lesser degree Hostetler are the ones discussed far more often.

That doesn't mean that his work wasn't discussed or that the importance of his role wasn't appreciated. I think the power structure of the White Sox front office has more to do with that than anything Capra did or did not do.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)

And if it is all about what the White Sox think, why question Chris Getz? They obviously think he will be better in the role than Capra?

This particular position became 10 times more important went an ex White Sox player got it with 2 years experience, even though those 2 years were with another team.

The lack of "evidence" isn't evidence at all, when all of the actual evidence is there in front of you.