Chris Getz to take over player development

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)
Marco Paddy and Nick Hostetler continue to be the two outside-the-team FO guys that have been hired.

And subsequently, the only two I 100% approve of so far.

I think this is key right here. The two areas the org has seen real improvement - the draft (Hostetler) and re-opening the Intl pipeline (Paddy) - were both hires from fully OUTSIDE the org.

That's not to say you can't ever promote from within or hire someone you know. But if you've been consistently underperforming for a long while in an area (like player development), you'd think they'd want to get someone from outside and with a lot of experience.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a weaker area in the entire organization...especially vis a vis positional prospects?

Is there another in a similar position in MLB with less than two full years of experience?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Hyde

For example, look at the resume of Brandon Hyde, Sox minor leaguer from 1997-2001.

He was named Director of Player Development for the Cubs at the end of 2012.

Five years earning his stripes as a minor league manager, then minor league infield coordinator, interim bench coach with the Marlins in the middle of 2010, permanent bench coach for the 2011, 2012 seasons.

That's eight full years of experience, with three vastly different roles for the Marlins.

Then named Renteria's bench coach at the end of the 2012 season after one year as Director of Player Development. Currently 1B coach, as Dave Martinez came on board.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 01:51 AM)
Darin Erstad must be coming next as the "grindy" baserunning coach.

Or Mark Kotsay...

Mark Kotsay has major league coaching experience and Erstad is a successful college coach.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)
I think this is key right here. The two areas the org has seen real improvement - the draft (Hostetler) and re-opening the Intl pipeline (Paddy) - were both hires from fully OUTSIDE the org.

That's not to say you can't ever promote from within or hire someone you know. But if you've been consistently underperforming for a long while in an area (like player development), you'd think they'd want to get someone from outside and with a lot of experience.

They got someone from the outside that has experience, yes it's only 2 years but what's wrong with giving someone their shot? It's already been said here that people in the game speak highly of him.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
They got someone from the outside that has experience, yes it's only 2 years but what's wrong with giving someone their shot? It's already been said here that people in the game speak highly of him.

The skepticism of this hiring is to be expected, as we as Sox fans are fresh off of the failed Robin Ventura experiment, where his hiring was done solely based on name and association with the organization. Getz may be an up and coming talent in the player development space, but regardless, you just have to wonder if he was the best available talent out there to take on this very important role within this particular organization, one where certain aspects of player development (position players) has been sorely lacking in recent years.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 09:03 PM)
So let's recap shall we?

Rick Renteria named manager (part of "the family")

Capra and Hasler named big league coaches (part of "the family")

Now Getz (with all of TWO YEARS experience) is named Director of Player Development (oh yes, he's a former player and part of "the family!")

It's like the Sox have a total repulsion with bringing in ANYONE who hasn't had a connection with the organization.

All you can do now is shake your head...the jokes write themselves. According to a lot of knowledgeable folks here this position is important, the Sox desperately need their farm system to start producing and they hire a guy with two years experience for it.

OK then... :huh:

Mark

This is a pretty fair stretch of the truth. One season after being hired from the outside, never having had anything to do with the White Sox before.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
The skepticism of this hiring is to be expected, as we as Sox fans are fresh off of the failed Robin Ventura experiment, where his hiring was done solely based on name and association with the organization. Getz may be an up and coming talent in the player development space, but regardless, you just have to wonder if he was the best available talent out there to take on this very important role within this particular organization, one where certain aspects of player development (position players) has been sorely lacking in recent years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thad_Bosley

The real Thad Bosley is much more qualified. See "personal life"...at least he and Lenny Randle could teach corner infielders to blow balls foul.

Heck, Abby Hornacek could have at least gotten an interview just based on her father's Bulls connections.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)

It's from people who think any tie to the White Sox means they can't do what they will be hired to do, although many want Dave Martinez to manage. He played in more games for the White Sox than Chris Getz.

People would rather have an idiot with no White Sox ties, than a bright guy like Getz just because he played about 120 games for the team. It's ridiculous.

For all intents and purposes, Chris Getz is an outside hire. All of his management training has come from the Royals.

This loyalty shtick is getting old. Why does no one mention Bobby Thigpen, someone I am sure JR feels more loyalty to than Chris Getz, is out of a job?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
It's from people who think any tie to the White Sox means they can't do what they will be hired to do, although many want Dave Martinez to manage. He played in more games for the White Sox than Chris Getz.

People would rather have an idiot with no White Sox ties, than a bright guy like Getz just because he played about 120 games for the team. It's ridiculous.

For all intents and purposes, Chris Getz is an outside hire. All of his management training has come from the Royals.

I agree with you. I'm not going to rip on the guy when I have no basis for whether he'd be great or not. None of us know how many people the Sox talked to or the views from the Royals about him. Clearly the Royals thought pretty highly of him from the short time he spent with their franchise to offer him a position in the front office (at one level below what the Sox just hired him for).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Even if he was an academic All-American at Michigan, NU or Notre Dame, that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best candidate.

He played for the Royals, worked in their system, probably was an academic all american, and he got a letter in high school. That right there should make him the Caulfield Stone Cold Lock best White Sox employee in the history of all the universe. The only thing that could be better is if he was best friends with Yasiel Puig

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)

This loyalty shtick is getting old. Why does no one mention Bobby Thigpen, someone I am sure JR feels more loyalty to than Chris Getz, is out of a job?

Because he was replaced by another org guy?

The white sox organization is not trending up. And their response has been to double down on their process including continuing to hire inexperienced people with previous ties to org. It hasn't worked out well prior, but we are not allowed to criticize because we don't know...well, you can never predict the future but I can tell you that due to past results I'm very skeptical.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)

The skepticism is misplaced. In this case, any evaluation of this hire should based on looking at Getz' qualifications for the job, including looking at his years of experience vs. other potential candidates out there, vs. his history with the White Sox. That's the pendulum swinging the other way. White Sox hirings should not be based solely on having a history with the organization, nor should they be prohibited as a result, either.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
The skepticism is misplaced. In this case, any evaluation of this hire should based on looking at Getz' qualifications for the job, including looking at his years of experience vs. other potential candidates out there, vs. his history with the White Sox. That's the pendulum swinging the other way. White Sox hirings should not be based solely on having a history with the organization, nor should they be prohibited as a result, either.

Since you are complaining, why don't you list some available candidates that would have been better hires, and tell us more about Chris Getz, and why he lacks the skills to be a good developmental guy.

That fact is, you don't know. The ONLY reason people complain is because Getz was drafted and played for the White Sox. W

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)

As I said earlier, he may turn out to be good. By all accounts he's a sharp baseball guy. I just don't like the idea of anyone getting "their shot", as if they were owed something. I'd rather they had gotten someone with deep experience outside the organization, and I don't consider

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
Since you are complaining, why don't you list some available candidates that would have been better hires, and tell us more about Chris Getz, and why he lacks the skills to be a good developmental guy.

That fact is, you don't know. The ONLY reason you complain is because Getz was drafted and played for the White Sox.

You are trolling now, Allen. Trolling in its purest form. I have not complained about anything. I've offered up two observations on this hire - whether or not Getz was the best option available out there, particularly given his limited experience in the player development space. The other is that the White Sox hiring of someone should not be solely because of their prior association with the team, a la Mr. Ventura, nor should someone be precluded from being hired, which is where much of the conversation in this thread seems to be trending. But you are in such a damn hurry to start with your trolling nonsense you didn't even bother to actually read what I wrote.

Do us both a favor. Avail yourself of the ignore option when it comes to my posts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)

That fact is, you don't know. The ONLY reason people complain is because Getz was drafted and played for the White Sox. W

Without being forced to name names, it is perfectly legitimate to question this hire. I get that a large portion of the questions are coming because of his status as an ex-player, but let's face reality and acknowledge that he is a guy with a pretty light resume too.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
You are trolling now, Allen. Trolling in its purest form. I have not complained about anything. I've offered up two observations on this hire - whether or not Getz was the best option available out there, particularly given his limited experience in the player development space. The other is that the White Sox hiring of someone should not be solely because of their prior association with the team, a la Mr. Ventura, nor should someone be precluded from being hired, which is where much of the conversation in this thread seems to be trending. But you are in such a damn hurry to start with your trolling nonsense you didn't even bother to actually read what I wrote.

Do us both a favor. Avail yourself of the ignore option when it comes to my posts.

Giving him a reaction is going to achieve the exact opposite of that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
Without being forced to name names, it is perfectly legitimate to question this hire. I get that a large portion of the questions are coming because of his status as an ex-player, but let's face reality and acknowledge that he is a guy with a pretty light resume too.

I bet there are a lot more people who think 2 years in their current position is more than enough to prepare them for the next step. I really don't know much about him other than he supposedly is a bright guy and wasn't a very good player. As I stated when Theo became the player development director of the Padres, his only MLB experience was as a PR guy. Getz has more than that, and he wasn't trained by the White Sox. Obviously the Royals saw something in him to offer him a pretty decent job as soon as he retired from playing.

Maybe he never gets this job if he didn't come up with the White Sox, but players are looked at as future coaches, managers, etc. by every organization as they come up. Every team is littered with minor league staff that has some sort of tie to their organization. His experience isn't much, but it's really impossible for any of us to say he isn't qualified. Let's face it, all of us have 2 years less experience than Chris Getz and think we know most of the answers.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
I bet there are a lot more people who think 2 years in their current position is more than enough to prepare them for the next step. I really don't know much about him other than he supposedly is a bright guy and wasn't a very good player. As I stated when Theo became the player development director of the Padres, his only MLB experience was as a PR guy. Getz has more than that, and he wasn't trained by the White Sox. Obviously the Royals saw something in him to offer him a pretty decent job as soon as he retired from playing.

Maybe he never gets this job if he didn't come up with the White Sox, but players are looked at as future coaches, managers, etc. by every organization as they come up. Every team is littered with minor league staff that has some sort of tie to their organization. His experience isn't much, but it's really impossible for any of us to say he isn't qualified. Let's face it, all of us have 2 years less experience than Chris Getz and think we know most of the answers.

This is kind of the point. It is reasonable to think that Getz got all of the answers in two years? What is the average time spent in development before getting to run it for a whole organization? My guess is the number is a lot higher than 2.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
This is a pretty fair stretch of the truth. One season after being hired from the outside, never having had anything to do with the White Sox before.

I grant you in his case it is somewhat... but as you also said; it is also truth, he was in the Sox organization and is not a total outsider.

Personally I think he'll do a much better job than Robin (who wouldn't) but as I stated at the time I would have felt more comfortable had the Sox waited and seen who else potentially may have been out there. I have a hard time thinking that another team was going to swoop in and grab him (paraphrasing Hahn's words) had the Sox waited a month.

Again personally I want the Sox to start bringing in people totally and completely from outside the organization with totally new and fresh ideas and perspectives.

It's been 20 years of "the family" and the results for the most part have not been good. Time for something radically different.

Just my opinion.

Mark

Chris Getz is not Theo Epstein, because Chris Getz was not handpicked by Larry Lucchino to move to a new org with him and got to study under a man that had proven to be able to build a winning organization. Getz now gets to learn under buddy bell, and a group that has not made playoffs in 8 years.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
As I said earlier, he may turn out to be good. By all accounts he's a sharp baseball guy. I just don't like the idea of anyone getting "their shot", as if they were owed something. I'd rather they had gotten someone with deep experience outside the organization, and I don't consider

Well written post.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
I grant you in his case it is somewhat... but as you also said; it is also truth, he was in the Sox organization and is not a total outsider.

Personally I think he'll do a much better job than Robin (who wouldn't) but as I stated at the time I would have felt more comfortable had the Sox waited and seen who else potentially may have been out there. I have a hard time thinking that another team was going to swoop in and grab him (paraphrasing Hahn's words) had the Sox waited a month.

Again personally I want the Sox to start bringing in people totally and completely from outside the organization with totally new and fresh ideas and perspectives.

It's been 20 years of "the family" and the results for the most part have not been good. Time for something radically different.

Just my opinion.

Mark

I think it is pretty irrational that somehow between March and now that Rick Renteria somehow became an idiot simply because the White Sox hired him, that somehow this six months was able to erase a baseball careers worth of knowledge and ability. Either he is qualified or he isn't, and six months with a team didn't change that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)

Agreed, and as Bmags mentioned, the Sox FO decisions are not exactly setting the standard for innovation and excellence at the moment.

When the FO appears to operate a multimillion dollar operation as if it is a family-owned hardware store, with poor results, and then continues to operate that way despite those poor results, then yes, the criticism is valid.

As others have pointed out, one would assume there are folks from organizations that have a history of developing players, with a bit more of a resume, that might have been more deserving.